Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - Chaosfortunes: Year 4 (anyone can still join)  (Read 44272 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress succession fort?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 13:15 »

A standing army is not a viable solution to Necrohazards
It's the only dwarfy solution to Necrohazards! It's not Dwarf Fortherss if you're not fighting off eldritch abominations every five minutes. :P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 14:16 »

Magma is the dwarfy solution to Necrohazards. Unfortunately, we don't have magma yet, so the atom smasher will have to do. Using an army for it is a zombie apocalypse waiting to happen. I think you're being very optimistic when you assume they'll stay dead for five minutes.

Download up at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8326635/region1_year2.rar. I'm not sure what my bandwidth cap is, but I hope it's enough!
9.9.6 Cacodemon Sergent Major (Wins: 0, 2, 0, 1, 0)
Badges: 14 | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0

9.9.5 Arch-Vile Captain (22 | 15 | 7 | 2 | 1)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 05:51 »

OK, I finally got to lodaing it up... I'll try to finish my run today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, is there anyone who would like to be the third?

Edit:

I only had time to play through one month, but I can post the beginning of the report. More of it tomorrow.

The Chaosfortunes Chronicle
by
Klearol Rulolon

1st Granite, 202

Even though I still count as one of the newcomers here in Chaosfortunes, having arrived in the early autumn, it already feels like home, even though it's little more than a cursed frozen hellhole. I spoke with Erib, the leader of this expedition, about the terrible state of records, and her reaction was a simple "take care of it". And just like that I became the first chronicler of this small outpost. Strangely enough, my new new responsibilities include those of a manager, which means I will have to "take care" of pretty much everything from now on. Well, why not? But first of all I need a private office. I'm writing this sitting on the floor of what will once be our great meeting hall.

5th Granite, 202

I can't stand those damn zombified cows we keep in a pit near the entrance and nobody is brave enough to build doors that would close the pit. I tried to wall the pit off myself while waiting for my meager office to be build, but the doors that were to be placed there are in the way and I'm NOT going so close to the edge to remove them. At least I managed to erect one part of the wall.
Now that my office is done, I am finally able to see the state of our records, and the state is utter chaos. I have no idea if we even have enough to drink. Somebody just scribbled "290?" there. Looks like I have a lot of work in front of me, and so I declared that from now on I won't be hauling rocks and other things around and to my surprise everybody accepted it. Maybe it was a mistake to say that I need only a meager office...

9th Granite, 202

I still have to figure out the exact value of all we have accomplished here so far (not much, I imagine), but for the first time we have exact knowledge of our stockpiles and there's not a whole lot to eat or drink. The numbers aren't dangerously low, but we'll need a whole lot more booze and maybe some food as well.
Construction of our drawbridge keeps getting suspended, since the other mason we have here, while clearly my superior in terms of craft, insists on checking the state of the zombies with each trip to the workplace which invariably results in him abandoning work in horror. I've ordered the pit walled off, even if it means a nasty wall protruding from an otherwise smooth and straight hallway.

25th Granite, 202

Exactly one week ago, our cook Inod Deleretes started a party that is still going on. The reason for the party revealed itself right now, when she suddenly gave birth to little Adil, the first dwarf to be born in Chaosfortunes! The father is our armorer, Ustuth, who I count as a friend, though I may reconsider this friendship, since nobody bothered to invite me to the party.

25th Granite, continued

As if it wasn't enough news for one day, some migrants arrived just now, just as I was thinking that maybe we could afford to build a bedroom for everyone. The problem is, this migration wave more than doubled our population! There's no way we can get enough beds, so the old dormitory will have to suffice for everybody. Except me. Oh, and none of the migrants seem to be particularly good at anything. At least it's enough bodies to form a militia, when the time comes. Some of the migrants brought animals with them. Too bad. Into the crusher with them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:37 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - Chaosfortunes
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 18:54 »

If there's no other takers, I could return for a second term.

[edit - addendum]
Chronicler Rulolon,

I received a complaint from one of our latest immigrants that her child's treasured pet was among the animals disposed of. I explained to her the imperative need for caution to prevent her pet from joining the walking dead, but she was adamant that her child deserved a chance to prove responsibility by feeding and caring for the animal.

While I cannot make any public statements to your defense, know that I support your caution. If I felt I could do so without causing a riot, I would enact an edict banning children from keeping pets. While it is only vital that strays and starving animals be disposed of, any animal whose stray/pet status is unclear, as well as any pet that is not properly cared for, should be terminated immediately. Given a chance, I'm sure some of these migrants would hide undead from us if it meant they could keep their "pets."

Erib Tunnecik
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 19:09 by RSO »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46 »

If there's no other takers, I could return for a second term.

[edit - addendum]

I would much rather if other people joined, but if nobody else comes forth, you are of course welcome to play the third year.

Also, I didn't actually atomize any pets, just the strays, but one of the children that came this year did bring a pet goat kid, so I guess I'll atomize it just to make your post canon =) Hopefully it won't lead to too much fun.

Edit: Also, I guess we'll need an extensive pet cemetary here, just in case, something I never bothered with before... I hope that buried remains stay dead.

Edit 2: BTW, I didn't want to bother to install graphics even though previously I was always playing with mayday using the lazy newb pack... and what do you know? ASCII doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it looks almost the same as the tileset to me =)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:55 by Klear »

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09 »

I wrote that not knowing if you had or hadn't atomized any pets. Just because the game labels them as strays doesn't mean no dorf loves them, was all I meant!

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 05:19 »

Well, I atomized a pet anyways =P. The kid was unhappy for a while, but got over it. A few legendary meals in a legendary dining room (and I haven't even started engraving it, it's just extremely large and mostly smooth) and now he's ecstatic.

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 23:40 »

Buried remains do not stay dead, btw. Atomize all corpses.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 00:41 »

Well, that's good to know, since I have a failed mood armorer (if only we had the anvil... legendary armorer would be great) who's going to die any time now. I guess I'll remove the cemetery and start making slabs...

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 03:16 »

Oh, crap. I didn't think of that! If I had, I would have sold off half our foodstock for an anvil.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57 »

I'm in the last month of second year and I have to stop playing for today, so I will post the save tomorrow, but I can post my report today, since the dwarf from whose perspective I'm writing will be... unable to write anything of value from now on. Details in the report.

The fort is still alive and... not exactly well, but it shouldn't be a big problem to get out of this mess. We just need some new beds, make some weapons and armour and pray for the best.

Oh, and I have a feeling I was VERY detailed and verbose with the report. I hope it's a good read. I'd like to hear what you think; whether I should continue like this when my turn comes next or be more brief. Here's the story, including what was posted earlier:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:46 by Klear »

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 18:35 »

i need to drop out, I'm moving and will be without reliable internet for a while.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 18:37 »

I don't mind taking over the next year. Hopefully I don't screw everything up, not completely aware of all the subtleties in the mechanics like I used to be. Basically I'll just try to keep things alive.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 21:36 »

Oh, Armok.

Do you know what happened to the miner? If she was killed secretly and left inside the fort, then we might have a vampire among us. Oh what Fun it is to live in a sinister biome!

Game Hunter can take the third year. If the fortress dies, we'll just reclaim it!

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 02:17 »

I think *she* is the vampire. Some of her victims already reanimated to standard corpses, but she now goes by some strange name I haven't taken note of (since I don't suppose my dwarf would manage to ask it and live to tell the tale), but I'm confident she is the source of this tragedy. She might have been a vampire all along, which is scary, since she is one of the original dwarves.

Also I didn't catch the beginning of the murders, since the game doesn't add these deaths to announcement. I think it still even counts them among the number of dwarves living in the fortress. I found out only because I wanted to check if she is legendary engraver already and found she is missing from dwarf therapist. Cue in frantic search in the whole history of announcements and looking for her death. I was almost convinced I accidentally atomized her (wish I had!), when I found her rampaging through the bedroom. Later I noticed that sometimes something like "Urist McVictim cancels task: interrupted by a corpse" flashes for a sec and then disappears. And even later, I had "Udil Megiddoren has been missing for a week". I suppose similar announcements will pop up for her victims soon.

Luckily the bedroom is far from the other rooms because of noise (BTW, at least in the previous version, noise from workshops didn't matter to sleeping dwarves, only placing of furniture (including doors and such). Now the vampire and its zombie slaves are walled in the bedroom level, and there is also Klearol Rulolon the chronicler, locked in his room.

Not counting the dwarves, we've lost all our beds (but we still have some wood) and the route to the adamantium desposits (we can make a new one and immediately wall off the vampire from the other side. We have some adamantine strands, though we are low on fuel to make waffers.

Oh, and I was thinking that while adamantium armour for our militia is a no-brainer, it's a question what weapons to use against the undead. Adamantium is useless when making blunt weapons (we'd be better off with wooden axes), but on the other hand adamantium edged weapons would probably mean limbs flying all over the place, which is the last thing we want to deal with. Yet still, maybe the best way to take out the undead is to chop them into pieces and those pieces into smaller pieces until they stop reanimating. Well... I'll leave that to you.

BTW, maybe a good way to deal with goblins, when they start arriving, will be to create some relatively safe firing positions, kill one of them with, and let the undeath take care of the rest. Or we could maybe just release the undead cows we have stored. The only problem I see is that we don't have bones to carve bolts. We should develop some low-risk way to butcher animals.

I'll post the save in an hour or so. I just wanted to get this off my chest, since this fort is already way more fun than any I've played before. And we haven't had invaders yet either.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:20 by Klear »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8