Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - Chaosfortunes: Year 4 (anyone can still join)  (Read 44266 times)

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress succession fort?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 17:58 »

Running worldgen now. History takes a lot longer to generate than it did in older versions, for sure. Any last minute opinions on embark, or suggestions for a fortress name?
9.9.6 Cacodemon Sergent Major (Wins: 0, 2, 0, 1, 0)
Badges: 14 | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0

9.9.5 Arch-Vile Captain (22 | 15 | 7 | 2 | 1)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 18:11 »

Any last minute opinions on embark, or suggestions for a fortress name?
You seem to be familiar with the game so just go with what you know. I don't really want to end up in TOO hostile of an environment but I imagine placement in terms of resources is top priority, regardless of how nasty the surrounding monsters are.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 18:12 »

Hmm, what words are available?  Would Doomrogue be a proper fortress name? Edit: Maybe Chaosforge?

EDIT: Oh, wait!  Are you on the 0.34.02 bugfix version released earlier today?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 18:15 by Matt_S »

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 21:52 »

Hmm, what words are available?  Would Doomrogue be a proper fortress name? Edit: Maybe Chaosforge?

EDIT: Oh, wait!  Are you on the 0.34.02 bugfix version released earlier today?

Chaosforge it shall be. I think that's in the language. If not, I know Madnessforge is possible.

Also, thanks for the reminder. I was genning on 34_01, but checking today, I see that that version had some save-corrupting bugs. Restarting world gen on the newer version, and I'm going to cap history at 300 years so that it doesn't take forever.

[edit] Generated about 10 worlds with progressively harsher environments until I found a satisfactory embark site. This world is a total hell. Temperature is -25 across the entire continent and half the squares on the map are evil. Should be very Fun.

The dwarven language does not appear to have a word "Forge" in it, and Chaossmith just doesn't sound as good. Closest I can get is Chaosfountain, but I'll save a backup of the unembarked world in case people have a better idea. I don't mind starting over to get this all just right.

[edit 2]

Embarked. I'll have a journal of events soon.

With the changes to how Evil works in this version, I'm having some regrets about choosing an evil biome.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:28 by RSO »

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 03:08 »

Fortress dead, summer of year one. Try again?

I have an autosave at the beginning of summer. I think I can go back in time and rescue the fort, if people don't mind savescumming. If not, I'll throw up the save of the world post-fortress destruction and someone can come try to reclaim it.

In the new version, apparently, corpses in evil biomes reanimate rather than there just being wandering zombies. This is using a very loose definition of corpse. If we try again, we should make sure to chasm all animals before they starve. It totally blindsided me when I butchered a starving water buffalo and its skin started attacking my fort.

I guess you could say that picking such a hostile biome was overconfidence of angelic proportions.

From the journal of Moldath Taronmorul:
Exile.

It was this or rot in a prison for the rest of my days. It wasn't my fault. I told everyone not to pull that lever unless the defenses broke. I told them to seal the door before pulling it, even then, but the idiot viscount didn't listen. Sixty dwarves dead, as well as the Prince himself, and then the Count says this whole mess is "my" fault for building the lever.

Some justice this is.

They'll come around. I found the six most promising prisoners in the pit for my little "exile." We'll build our own city, even grander than the capital.

And then the Count will come to see what I've built, and I'll have my revenge.

===

Our buffalo don't seem to mind the cold. No one but we dwarves do, anymore. I've kept myself busy drawing up a floorplan. We've all seen how congested the road gets in the capital, and that won't do.

*Detailed, but illegible, floorplans follow*

Isn't it marvelous? No dwarf will ever have to travel the Spine, save to get to and from their place of business. No more masons dragging stones down the highroad, asking others to clear out of the way.

===

We've arrived at last. The others think I'm mad. They say that the site our wagon sits above now looks no the same as the tundra we've been in all winter, but they don't understand. At this elevation, the stone will be thick enough to keep the water out before we hit sea-level, and the glacier at our backs is naturally defensible.

On this day, the age of Rorithzefon begins!

===

The soil here is uneven. Unsuitable for the grand dining room. It will need to be placed deeper.

===

Blueprints are set for the grand dining hall. The miners have barely had a moments rest.

Today, I had Limul slaughter one of our buffalo. They were looking lean and we couldn't spare the food to keep them alive. He tells me that their corpses started to stand up and fight back even after the heads were removed. We have agreed to keep this to ourselves. No reason to upset the others - or make them shun any of our already limited food supply.

Maybe those rumors of a curse weren't so overblown after all.

===

It came back. The skin of the buffalo started crawling into the fort. Limul was able to rip it apart, but everyone saw it. The secret's out, now. Hopefully they will understand the necessity of not discarding the meat.

===

It came back AGAIN. Even ripped and mangled, it tried to crawl into the fort. Everyone's shaken, but no one was hurt. I'm postponing work on the dining hall to dig a hole to bury those things in where they can't come back.

Etched on the wall of the lava chamber beneath the dining hall:
It's been a week. The scratching above has stopped. They've all turned, but they haven't found me here. They won't find me. Maybe I can filch some food, soon.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:17 by RSO »

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02 »

Maybe evil biomes are too much fun for us?

I'd rather we didn't savescum, but reclaiming a first year fortress doesn't really seem legit either.  I think a fresh start would be a better idea (same embark or different one).

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 14:18 »

I'll re-embark on the same site.

The evil biome is dangerous, but not insurmountable. Now that I know what it does and can plan for it, it won't be a problem (at least for the first year, he-he-he). We'll need to have a vegetarian fort, and once we get magma, magma all animals.

It seems appropriately Doomish. Stuff stays dead for about 30 seconds, then stands back up. It's like Dwarf Fortress on N!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 14:24 by RSO »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 14:19 »

I'd rather we didn't savescum, but reclaiming a first year fortress doesn't really seem legit either.  I think a fresh start would be a better idea (same embark or different one).

I concur. I'd rather avoid savescumming, if you don't mind starting over.

BTW, nice writeup! Crawling reanimated skin is really creepy. I think I'll start my own evil biome fort in the meantime so see this stuff in action.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 15:27 »

It wasn't just the skin. The hair reanimated separately and attacked the fort as well, but that was less of an issue.

The truly horrifying part is that after the skin got reduced to a water buffalo skin (without a head) and a water buffalo head skin, the two started moving independently. There was no stopping it.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 15:33 »

That's awesome. I just have to embark on a glacier and pretend that there were Things buried there.

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 20:46 »

Year one survived.

Re-embarked on a new site (actually with a new world, since I couldn't find another good site). No nice writeup this time because I spent my creativity on the last one.

The fortress Rerithakam, "Chaosfortunes" has survived its first year. The food industry is established, though still requires micromanagement, particularly on the quarry bush side, since I haven't made bags yet. Two pack animals (water buffalo again) were quarantined before they could starve and reanimate. They're zombies now, but they're trapped and not dangerous. Maybe we can use them for target practice later.

I've asked the dwarven caravan to bring wood and booze (since booze comes with free barrels). I didn't have enough trading power to get us an anvil yet, but we won't need one for a while.

The save file is well above the 4MB limit for forum attachments. Where should I put it so that it can be picked up?

Operating tips:
-The main entrance is hotkeyed to F1.
-The bottom farm is for Plump Helmets, the middle is for Cave Wheat and Sweet Pods, and the top is for Quarry Bushes.
-The fortress follows a vertical layout: Farms make up the top two layers, then workshops and warehouses. Housing is many floors down to reduce noise. This vertical layout results in the shortest travel times.
-There is an aquifer somewhere on the western portion of the map. Be wary of digging in that direction.
-Leave room for a pump stack to bring magma in from the deeps.
-The massive room at z-level 125 is to be a dining hall.

Necrohazards and their disposal:
-A Necrohazard is anything which is likely to become undead. A standing army is not a viable solution to Necrohazards, as they will simply stand up again after being killed.
-The lever just inside the main entrance controls the drawbridge over the room just south of the trade depot's current location. This drawbridge serves as our Necrohazard Disposal System (NDS). Once the hazardous material is placed in the disposal system, pull the lever once to crush it. Pull the lever again after it has been crushed and inspect the remains. If any of the resulting paste looks like it might reanimate, repeat.
-Corpses are the iconic Necrohazard. If anything dies on site, designate the body for dumping immediately. It will be placed in the NDS for disposal.
-The more common necrohazard is un-adopted animals, whether brought by migrants or born on site.. Pets will be fed by their owners, but an animal with no owner will starve. Assign them to the Pasture activity zone under the NDS and dispose of them appropriately.

Recommended tasks for the near future:
-FOOD: Get some bags so the kitchens can start throwing out quarry bush roast. It's an amazing food source and an even better trade good. Any of the farms can be temporarily repurposed to produce cloth, but since cloth isn't in constant demand, I didn't see a reason to build cloth into the farm complex.
-SECURITY: Move the trade depot a bit farther out. I've laid down designations for a room slightly farther out, and a channel just inside. Build a drawbridge over that channel and pull it up. Except for the trade depot, the fortress should be sealed off to the outside at all times except to let migrants in and to trade.
-SECURITY: Establish a fortress guard. Do NOT do this before completing the above. Currently, our lack of army only chases off thieves rather than killing them. If we kill a thief, it will reanimate as something much worse.
-ECONOMY: Buy an anvil.
-ECONOMY: Construct more workshops. I've built the masons shops and clothier's shops as a model. It is most efficient to have the workshops one z-level off from the warehouse. When building room for furnaces, make sure to carve out a magma chamber as well. We'll get pumps running eventually.
-ECONOMY: Carve out large warehouses for finished goods and furniture.
-ADMINISTRATION: Appoint a bookkeeper
-ADMINISTRATION: Appoint a manager
-QUALITY OF LIFE: Carve out living quarters for our dwarves. I've never cared enough to make individual living arrangements, myself, but our dwarves would be happier if someone did.
-QUALITY OF LIFE: Carve out more areas for the hallcarvers to train Engraving skill on. Once they hit legendary, engrave the walls and floor of the grand dining room, then fill it with tables and chairs. A legendary dining room will offset the inevitable bad thoughts that come with living in such a hellish place.
-!!FUN!!: Continue the exploratory shaft to find the first Cavern layer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 20:49 by RSO »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 05:46 »

The save file is well above the 4MB limit for forum attachments. Where should I put it so that it can be picked up?

There's tons of free hosting sites. I was about to suggest megaupload, but that's shut down unfortunately =)

For now, I PMd you my email.

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22 »

Use dropbox.com It's free and fast.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile