Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 04:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: New Traits  (Read 63995 times)

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: New Traits
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2006, 11:14 »

Your comments and judgements, please? :-)

Here you have mine :P

Dodger: (adv., req. HR2, maxlvl 2) Increases your chance to dodge missile/melee attack by x% (to be determined).
This got two votes. Any additional comments on it? Might go hand in hand with a revision of Hellrunner trait to make the combination more balanced.
I'd make this more along the lines of a 1 level only trait that would give you the same amount of dodging you have on hellrunner even when standing still, firing, etc.

Basher: (adv., req. SoaB2, maxlvl 2) 10%/level chance to cause double damage with weapons up to chaingun.
There's still some controversy about it. Could be of some use for AoMr challenge and Shotties.
I personally don't like it. Chance traits is increasing luck, and to get some planning ahead you'd need something more static.

However, the main idea is nice. Perhaps add something along the lines of decreasing firing time for multi-fire weapons (chaingun and plasmagun). It would add damage (potentially) and it would make it both different and another trait route similar to shottyman for shotguns. Note that this has been suggested before and not by me, I am just saying it again because I like the idea.

Kicker: (adv., req. Fin2, maxlvl 2) Knockback effect of weapons increased by 1/level(?).
Can be useful at keeping the demons at bay, or knocking powerful enemies out of LOS and then cutting the tail.
I find this trait pretty useless. It's not giving the player any real advantage, and I think all traits should be meaningful.

Ammo stacker: (trait, maxlvl 3) Increases the amount of all ammunition in one inventory stack by 10%/level.
Borrowed this from this RFF. Allows to carry more ammo while keeping precious inventory slots free for other items.
This could be cool if done correctly and perfectly balanced.

Anatomist: (trait, maxlvl 2/3?) Decreases chance of bleeding and bleeding damage, increases chance/damage caused to monsters.
This can be a useful trait, though perhaps the bleeding should be made more deadly to balance it.
I like this idea, under the same conditions as the previous trait, and if killing monsters by bleeding would give you exp.

Well, those were my 0.02€ :P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Khashishi

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2006, 14:44 »

I don't know why people are thinking kicker is useless. To me, it sounds overpowered! What is the best thing about the rocket launcher? It clears out the enemies so you can hit them again when they pop into view. Imagine taking on the wall without the kickback effect.

another advanced trait idea: piercing shot (req sob2?). each level lets you shoot through one additional enemy with guns. Doesn't work with rocket launcher or BFG or melee (and I think shotguns already pierce so it might do nothing)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 10:56 »

I've already suggested this one in the Doom Wiki:

Fireballs - should be unlockable, but I'm not sure by what... "You've an ego like hell and the weapons to match! Your massive will alone increases the blast radius of your rocket-launchers by 1 space for each level of this trait. But be careful not to get ahead of yourself and blow yourself away..." I guess damage will be sorted out by the same equation but for a larger radius, not changing damage at the center, but making it near the center a little higher than before. I don't think this trait should affect BFGs, as they don't make FIREballs :)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 13:35 »

Chainsaws & Boomsticks. (Probably a better name for it could be suggested)

This trait would allow you to dual wield a shotgun and a chainsaw ala evil dead/ army of darkness.
It would require shottyman and brute lvl 1 maybe.
You can attack a enemy in melee range with the chainsaw at the same time you fire the shotgun.

-Legend
-Legend

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 07:42 »

What about:

Vampirism  (maybe max 3) - With each trait you receive 5% damage you deal to enemies. (The amount could be tweaked)

You say that SoaB is useless but nobody mentioned that Juggler is useless ;) .

Fast as Hell - Every action you do is x% faster then normally (after hellrunner lvl 2)

Stratego (i didn't thought much about the name ;) ) - the effects of coward and aggresive setting are x% bigger.

Telekinetic Mind - You can choose where to teleport when entering a teleport on map OR using the phase device. Only 1 level for this trait.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 13:11 »

(EDIT: corrected endquotes. That's a bad thing to let get past me :P )

No Vampirism please. Waaay off the theme, IMO.

You say that SoaB is useless but nobody mentioned that Juggler is useless ;)
I think everyone just takes that as obvious :P

Fast as Hell - Every action you do is x% faster then normally (after hellrunner lvl 2)
Maybe if it's 5%, otherwise Finesse, Reloader and others'd be much less useful. But a 5% increase does little to a 10-tick action when rounded down, and rounded up that's 10% (see above).

Stratego (i didn't thought much about the name ;) ) - the effects of coward and aggresive setting are x% bigger.
Borderline ;) I like it.

Telekinetic Mind - You can choose where to teleport when entering a teleport on map OR using the phase device. Only 1 level for this trait.
Mostly useless, considering teleporters apear so rarely and PDs are used only once. TaN has a much better chance of saving you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 14:46 by TFoN »

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 21:43 »

Medic-
Level 1- You can convert small medpacks to small globes and vice versa by either:
A) Picking them up (Screen says: Do you want this to be a [g]lobe or a [m]edpack?)
B) same as above but by dropping.
Level 2: You can do all you can at level 1, but you can also turn Large medpacks into Large health globes and Beserk packs.
Level 3: You can do all you can do at level 2, But you can:
A) Turn 3 small medpacks into 1 large, and vice versa
B)Pick up Beserk packs and Large Globes as 3 small medpacks.

I think this might be too un-doomish, but i'd use this trait.
Mabye it might require IM(2) or somthing?

Pack Mule:
Each level gives you 10% more ammo capacity per stack.

[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2007, 03:27 »

More traits!

Hoarder:
1 level trait, all healing items give 10% more heal, and powerups (like Beserk and Invun) last 10% longer.

More later, g2g 4 now 
[0.9.9.7]

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2007, 03:32 »

Medic-
Level 1- You can convert small medpacks to small globes and vice versa by either:
A) Picking them up (Screen says: Do you want this to be a [g]lobe or a [m]edpack?)
B) same as above but by dropping.
Level 2: You can do all you can at level 1, but you can also turn Large medpacks into Large health globes and Beserk packs.
Level 3: You can do all you can do at level 2, But you can:
A) Turn 3 small medpacks into 1 large, and vice versa
B)Pick up Beserk packs and Large Globes as 3 small medpacks.

I think this might be too un-doomish, but i'd use this trait.
Mabye it might require IM(2) or somthing?
For some reason, I don't really like your trait much... sounds too cheaty.

Pack Mule:
Each level gives you 10% more ammo capacity per stack.

Heh, isn't this one on the beta already in the form of a backpack?

Hoarder:
1 level trait, all healing items give 10% more heal, and powerups (like Beserk and Invun) last 10% longer.

This might work. Would need to test for balancing, though.

Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2007, 03:35 »

Ha! we have no backpack addition in the Beta...mabye in the next one =)

[0.9.9.7]

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2007, 08:06 »

How about if the 'Medic' trait increased the healing effect of medpacks / SHGs by 10% for each level? On the downside though, there is the fact that (almost) no small medpacks are being generated on lower levels.
Angel of Death 007

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2007, 12:35 »

How about if the 'Medic' trait increased the healing effect of medpacks / SHGs by 10% for each level? On the downside though, there is the fact that (almost) no small medpacks are being generated on lower levels.
Hoarder:

Already been proposed, and with some more advantages because, as you say, on deeper levels it would be less useful.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2007, 14:50 »

I'd hate to spam, but I got absolutely no feedback on this one, for better or worse:

Fireballs - should be unlockable, but I'm not sure by what... "You've an ego like hell and the weapons to match! Your massive will alone increases the blast radius of your rocket-launchers by 1 space for each level of this trait. But be careful not to get ahead of yourself and blow yourself away..." I guess damage will be sorted out by the same equation but for a larger radius, not changing damage at the center, but making it near the center a little higher than before. I don't think this trait should affect BFGs, as they don't make FIREballs :)

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2007, 15:00 »

I'd hate to spam, but I got absolutely no feedback on this one, for better or worse:
The Emperor shall provide you judgement.

Too dangerous. Would lead to hurting yourself many times. But maybe because of that might be balanced, as you hurt more monsters every shot but you also take the risk of hurting yourself. Also, it's very weapon-specific, so I really don't know what to make of it :/.

Would need testing, I guess.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2007, 16:04 »

Nope. DOsent really make sense to me. Mabye it could make RL Not affect you, Like BFG? Because this trait would only be good for Int games right now.
[0.9.9.7]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10