Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: New Traits  (Read 63490 times)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
Re: New Traits
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 14:03 »

Too dangerous. Would lead to hurting yourself many times. But maybe because of that might be balanced, as you hurt more monsters every shot but you also take the risk of hurting yourself.
"But be careful not to get ahead of yourself and blow yourself away..." :)
It's a matter of style of play - I've been saved by my RL many times while being hit by it at the same time. In fact, I thought of this one partially due to a double-kill (AV and Arach) at nearly 0-range.

Also, it's very weapon-specific, so I really don't know what to make of it :/.
So's Shottyman, but the RL's a weapon put to use by everyone, and all the time.
With AoB and AoMr as exceptions, there's no question about putting it to use.

Mabye it could make RL Not affect you, Like BFG?
That seems likely to be way overpowered at the moment.

Because this trait would only be good for Int games right now.
I strongly disagree - leveling rooms based on sounds is something done regardless of traits (ask around; I assure you), but could be done much better with a larger blast radius.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 07:16 »

I would rather like my RL to have stronger kickback then larger radius.

What about traits unblocking special attack to weapons ;) ?

Thrower (put some requirements here)

Lets you cast knives / ammo at the enemy (posted for fun but idea of throwing my last knife in the head of this Baron Of Hell seems l33t ;p )

Evil Eye - Some monsters occasionally flee from you or stand schocked in fear.

What about being able to stun your targets?

I know Im not the best source of ideas :I

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2007, 13:13 »

First off, there's a difference between being modest and just plain canceling out your own ideas
I know Im not the best source of ideas :I
:P
Please, you and others, stop doing that!

Now, to the content:

Knockback's directly linked to damage, but if there's a Stonewall, there can be IMO an aptly named Battery :)
Stunning has been discussed AFAIR, and deemed too risky on the balance.
Throwing would be nice if there were more things to throw, but I don't think that's necessary, and anyway sounds rather undoomish.
Evil Eye could be great, but seems to me very undoomish, standing too close to stealth activity when you get down to it - Doom's about fighting and getting hit. Your enemies are fearless, and so are you, and danger is avoidable only by death.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 15:13 »

Then you can throw your chainsaw ;) . Or Ultimate Weapon Of Spoiliness as Styro said (after all, it's a spear ;) ).

I've been thinking a little bit about advanced traits... and it seems to me that Shottyman is the most efficient in terms of trait using. You wont get full advantage from traits like dualgunner, berserker, badass and so. But by taking only 1 trait called Shottyman you can reload while moving every shotgun you have (even double shotgun). Wouldnt it be a little bit more fair to make advanced trait only one - level - strong traits. They could have higher requirements, but have a nasty beneficial effect.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 21:39 »

question regarding melee: has ANYONE ever beaten the AOD in the Unholy Cathedral? its sorta ripped, as by the time you get to it you are dangerously low on healers, and even then he rips u to shreds. it does not matter if it is AoB or not, u still must get Creamed in one hit if u try to fight him. u cant use guns! and so my freinds, without further ado, the reason for keeping all those Combat Knives! the
Flickerman (as in flick-o-the-wrist), Super Special Trait, req: 3 EE + 2 Brute, max lvl 3
allows u to throw combat knives, impaling demons on the blades. it is the same as slashing the demon, so it is considered to deal melee damage. you can recover the knife after it is thrown, except there is a 25% chance it will break, which drops 5% each level to a minumum of 15%. note that if you try to use intuition or predetermined locations to hit the enemy from out of your vision, it will ALWAYS miss, ie can only be used on visible enemys. it still only does 1d6 damage, plus any trait based modifiers.
in addition, to go with this, the Knife Belt, which uses Combat Knives as ammo, and can hold 10 at once. it is essential for the operation of the flickerman trait. note that Knives are common, and they break easily if thrown. this is not unfair as in order to get it u need at least lvl 6, it can be used in AoB and in the Unholy Cathedral. it takes time to throw a knife, especially if u have poor aim (no EE :) ).

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2007, 23:44 »

question regarding melee: has ANYONE ever beaten the AOD in the Unholy Cathedral?

Yes, people have.  Perhaps it's your build/lack of experience in AoB that's the problem?

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2007, 01:26 »

I just did, and hell on [NTR] he is darn easy to beat. 6 hits and he is down, with a proper build.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2007, 08:48 »

RepoRipper, your Flickerman idea would be great, IF this were not DoomRL. As an action-based, fast paced shooter, going so far (knife belt, break chances) just to enable throwing knives seems to me pointless for this game. And what if you were not to find a belt? The trait'd be rather useless.
If this were to be enabled, I'd suggest making knives stackable by default and throwing always possible with a trait to improve the skill, and also making break chances either non-existent/absolute or more straight forward (100%-50%-20% or the likes).

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2007, 17:36 »

And making RNG spawn knives as ammo, and not normal weapons

What about a trait that lets you use an off hand pistol together with another weapon? A little bit like Dualgunner but instead of affecting your speed, dual wielding affects your accuracy. Dunno, just a thought.

Advanced trait

Fast as Hell : This trait occasionally lets you shoot twice, instead of once, in the same amount of time. Trait level affects chance in % (just like berserk trait). Requires finesse lvl2.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 18:09 by Supernaut »

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2007, 00:14 »

yeah its fun to think about but not good for actual game.
hehehehehehehehe..... i was just thinking about Advanced traits!
hehehe, just for fun:

Son of an Alien (as in the movies!)
1 level, requires 2 SoB
hell has currupted you, and you are no longer precisely human. your blood has turned acidic, giving a chance to cause damage to any melee attacker, and severly wounding those demons who get near you if you are bleeding! you are also immune to acid damage (but your boots arent!), and Hell Knight acid balls arent as strong (they still explode!)[this part is kinda iffy, but would make sense]

feel free to change requirements. (note, the name is considered a requirement, so feel free to change that too!)

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2007, 02:23 »

Son of an Alien (as in the movies!)
1 level, requires 2 SoB
hell has currupted you, and you are no longer precisely human. your blood has turned acidic, giving a chance to cause damage to any melee attacker, and severly wounding those demons who get near you if you are bleeding! you are also immune to acid damage (but your boots arent!), and Hell Knight acid balls arent as strong (they still explode!)[this part is kinda iffy, but would make sense]
I would rather see the requirements as TaN 2 or maybe TaN and SoaB. The whole idea sounds fun as hell ! The name of the trait needs to be changed, however;) . No aliens are in Doom. Just pure Hellspawn.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2007, 03:58 »

AFAIK, Doom3 names the demons as aliens.

Anyway, SoaA sounds fun. It could even fit in to the Doom atmosphere well, but it isn't a classic aspect of Doom in any way I'm aware of (not even monsters have it), and therefore should be considered carefully. It can probably best fit one of the fight-for-hell ideas.

And regarding HKs/Barons, those are balls of plasma.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2007, 10:54 »

AFAIK, Doom3 names the demons as aliens.

Anyway, SoaA sounds fun. It could even fit in to the Doom atmosphere well, but it isn't a classic aspect of Doom in any way I'm aware of (not even monsters have it), and therefore should be considered carefully. It can probably best fit one of the fight-for-hell ideas.

And regarding HKs/Barons, those are balls of plasma.
Didn't play Doom3 (though I wouldn't mind). If I remember correctly, even though the whole thing happens in a space base, something openned a portal to hell, so your enemies ain't much of puny Aliens. They are 3VIL ITSELF!!!. And evil from hell, too. But that doesn't matter anyways.

What do you mean by being a classical aspect of Doom ? No trait is a classical aspect of Doom. And the "Fight For Hell" idea is dropped for the next 2 years, or forever.
Hmmm? HK's fire green plasma? Maybe they also have plasma instead of blood Xp ? Any proof?

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2007, 11:13 »

What about a trait that lets you use an off hand pistol together with another weapon? A little bit like Dualgunner but instead of affecting your speed, dual wielding affects your accuracy. Dunno, just a thought.
That would mean you'd have to
a) carry around a semi-useless weapon (in normal games) instead of using that space to carry another BFG/plasma rifle/etc, and
b) waste at least one backpack slot on 10mm ammo.

Advanced trait
Fast as Hell : This trait occasionally lets you shoot twice, instead of once, in the same amount of time. Trait level affects chance in % (just like berserk trait). Requires finesse lvl2.
Not much use in this one.
1000 Energy per shot = normal.
Finess(2) = -20% = 800.
At this point you can take the trait
Let's say this trait gives you 10% chance, that means you act 10 times and get 11 shots (statistically), which means you use 8000 energy and get 800 (1 attack) for free, which is 10% (relative to your current base)
Finess(3) would reduce it to 700, which is a decrease of 100 (because Finess uses the unmodified base), which is 12,5%.
At 700 per shot you'd be able to act 11 times with 8000 energy and still have some left.

Add speed weapon mods and it becomes even worse :p

"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2007, 12:44 »

That would mean you'd have to
a) carry around a semi-useless weapon (in normal games) instead of using that space to carry another BFG/plasma rifle/etc, and
b) waste at least one backpack slot on 10mm ammo.
And lets you add additional 2 - 8 damage each shot instead. An ok deal if you ask me. That's better than SoaB trait, in some cases. The trait could upgrade something too, if that sounds underpowered. To hit chance, damage, firing speed, whatever just to balance things out. Beside, considering some of the traits are used almost only, for challenges, and one trait is not used at all I don't think this trait is SUCH a bad idea.

Let's say this trait gives you 10% chance, that means you act 10 times and get 11 shots (statistically), which means you use 8000 energy and get 800 (1 attack) for free, which is 10% (relative to your current base)
Finess(3) would reduce it to 700, which is a decrease of 100 (because Finess uses the unmodified base), which is 12,5%.
At 700 per shot you'd be able to act 11 times with 8000 energy and still have some left.
If I remember correctly, the finnese trait may be taken only 2 times. I may be wrong though, still you can just tweak the chance to fx 10 % per level which means with 1 level every tenth shot you get one shot more. With 2 levels every fifth shot and that makes kind of a difference.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 12:46 by Supernaut »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10