Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Post your favorite trait path, and explain why.  (Read 2891 times)

2DeviationsOut

Post your favorite trait path, and explain why.
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:45 »

I'll start first: My favorite is Ammochain, and I like it because it gives me a huge offensive power, and it simplifies my ammo requirements drastically.

Zecks

• Speedrunner
  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Post your favorite trait path, and explain why.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:52 »

When I play "casually" my build goes pretty much always:

Reloader 1-2 -> Shottyman -> Badass -> Brute 1-2 -> Berserker -> Vampyre -> possibly Brute 3 -> whatever (usually TaN/Ironman)

I use shotguns almost exclusively for ranged. This is mostly due to how easy cornershooting is with them, and their 100% hit chance. I think I'm still actually quite bad at tactics in this game and should probably learn to use other weapons better.
Then at most after UC I melee as much as possible. Berserker/Vampyre is just too much fun.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:59 by Zecks »
(0.9.9.6) Arch-Vile General
[23/21/16/13/5]

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 16:54 »

SoG -> SoG -> SoG -> EE -> EE -> EE -> MSs -> WK -> WK -> Int -> Int -> SoG -> SoG

I really love pistols for their damage and low ammo costs. Since combat pistols are so plentiful, I can pretty much count on getting at least one during a run. Sharpshooter with a P3 combat pistol and SoG5 is amazing: 23 damage per shot, 0.1 second firetime. Add a bulk and sniper mod and you're doing a guaranteed 230 dmg per second (minus armour), and are able to sustain that for two full seconds. Assuming you're fighting against something with 2 armour, and have an ammochain to reload quickly, that still comes to an average of 191 dps. Who could resist that?
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 17:41 »

Int -> Int -> SoB -> SoB -> TH -> MCe -> Fin -> Fin -> WK -> WK -> HR

The description of AoMC, "You hate chance, games of chance, you hate chance so much that you crush dice whenever you see them" describes me pretty well. I usually play on AoMC, to the point where my high scores only has three entries on the first page that aren't AoMC.

Second-favorite is a tie between all pistol traits that aren't Bullet Dance. I disagree about MSS. MSc is a better pistol trait if you don't mind using other weapons for the first half of the game. You get Intuition sooner, you get a nearly guaranteed Storm Bolter Pistol (with a nearly guaranteed Sniper Weapon Pack to slap on it), and it doesn't block SoB if you're playing Ao100 and want to do even more damage. Against the same enemy with 2 armor, with the same ammopack, my MSc-pistol build can put out (at level 16) 337 DPS assuming I roll nothing but 1's - or 487 DPS average. Getting numbers like that on an MSs build takes quite a few lucky drops.

It's mostly an Ao100 build, though; on any other mode, you won't have time to enjoy it, before frying the mastermind.
9.9.6 Cacodemon Sergent Major (Wins: 0, 2, 0, 1, 0)
Badges: 14 | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0

9.9.5 Arch-Vile Captain (22 | 15 | 7 | 2 | 1)

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 19:01 »

The power of Sharpshooter is that it greatly increases your damage per shot, having much the same effect as several levels of SoB, but getting it earlier. With SoG5 (at clevel 13), a regular Stormbolter gets 600 dps, dropping by 42.86 per point of armour, though a lot of that is wasted on overkill. Of course, you could up it even further by playing on AoMC and combining SoG5 with SoB5, so you'd be doing a whopping 857 dps against unarmored targets with a P-modded Stormbolter.

Anyhow, these numbers seem to be vastly higher than even BFG-type weapons, especially per unit of ammo, which makes me think that SoG's attack speed reduction might be a bit overpowered, though the fast reload from an ammo chain is crucial here as well.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:35 »

Ammochain when i want to go 100%/Conqueror. You can't say no to combination of huge firepower and low ammo consumption when you need to kill and kill and kill.
Scavenger for Ao100 runs.Though i'm not really lucky with disassembling.
Vampire for N! games as it's easy to get and you're sure to get good weapons.
Masterless pistol build (SoG, SoB,EE) when i want to go with pistols.

With SoG5 (at clevel 13), a regular Stormbolter
...knockbacks enemy on every hit, so usually you'll do 14 - 28 damage per volley unless you position yourself.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52 »

Vampyre has spoiled me a lot. I go Badass, then some ordering of the two Brute levels and Berserker, and Finesse and Juggler, getting Vampyre sometime around Anomaly.  Then I get Brute 3, and I usually do Ironman and Tough as Nails for the rest of my levels.

Other builds I sometimes with pretty good success are Army of the Dead, Cateye, and the occasional Ammochain (but I usually can't stand the inaccuracy of rapid-fire guns).
Pages: [1]