Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL Blogging - my attempt at a review! (Finished)  (Read 2410 times)

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
DoomRL Blogging - my attempt at a review! (Finished)
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:55 »

This is possibly just shameless self-advertising, but I thought that before actually posting a DoomRL review on my blog...I should really come to the experts. I hold and maintain a blog of reviews and rants, and after getting 0.9.9.5 up (and enjoying it) I decided to write a little review on the game. It has to be one of my "coffee break" favourites, so it's certainly a favourable review. I'm also hoping that at least one person who reads the review actually downloads the thing, since it would be pretty cool if I could actually help the PR of DoomRL! But anyway, I'm humbly right now, asking for your help! I want you to review my review!

For starters, here is what I have now - http://pastebin.com/DxJRWfRK

OK, now before everyone jumps up and says "do this" here's my parameters...

- Don't tell me to change my opinion. If I have a fact wrong and I complain about it however...different story... :D
- I'm asking for advice and clarification. I've played DoomRL since the latter days of 0.9.9.3, so although I wouldn't cry that I'm a veteran, but I've been around the block. However my knowledge on the game is minimal to none...hence my coming here!
- Anything else is fair game. However please don't write the paragraph for me. For example, if you think with all your heart that putting a section in on assemblies (as opposed to glossing over them like I did) is the best thing since sliced bread...just say it. I'll write it, don't you worry! ;)

Also, if anyone is really game to actually help (although I'm not banking any hopes here and won't hold it against anyone if they don't help...:D) I'd appreciate some screenshots of the game. I'll be picking maybe...5 in the end, and I'm looking for at least semi-high resolution. i.e. At it's "original" size everything can be seen. (Also - if you wish to put your own caption on it, I'll be happy to include it as the caption for the picture)

If anyone does actually help, thank you very much. If not, thanks anyway for just reading!

Cheers, Pricklyman

(Also, here's a link to my blog, in case anyone is interested! http://soapboxofagamer.blogspot.com.au/)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 00:41 by Pricklyman »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: DoomRL Blogging - my attempt at a review!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:04 »

All of the special levels are now guaranteed, just that some don't appear if you don't meet the prerequisites (Unholy Cathedral and Mortuary don't appear on ITYTD). Also, Mouse movement and Graphics are coming real soon.

Apart from that, you have my axe, sir.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL Blogging - my attempt at a review!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:14 »

Maybe I was just stupid...but I'm sure that I missed The Wall today...or maybe that was just me being stupid, going in then realising that I was a AoMr and had no phases...

Also, I knew about the mouse movement and graphics. imo, I'm not that impressed with the graphics if anything just because you can't see the full map in one glance of the eyeballs - which I do like about the ASCII version. (However I still think it's cool...)

Any way, those little hiccups have been fixed on my Word document. (I won't repost the thing every damn time - just inform! :D)

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL Blogging - my attempt at a review! (Finished)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 00:42 »

And here it is, the finished product!

http://soapboxofagamer.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/e1m1-rl.html

Thanks goes out to Kornel for those little techinal modifications of the article.

If you ever know someone who wants to know what DoomRL is like, send them this! It's great! /endselfappreciation

Anyway, thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]