Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Hackmaster 4e OOC  (Read 85672 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Hackmaster 4e OOC
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:46 »

Characters:

Jasper Grindle the Gnome Titan Veteran Altar Boy (S.K. Ren)

Player Went Missing:

Sho Lee Wu the Human Grashopper (shark20061)

Orphaned Characters:

Vicward Carter the Human Apprentice

Halls of the Dead:

Jace the Human Altar Boy (raekuul) - killed by pair of orcs after getting mauled by Dire Elk
Maoun the Pixie Sprite Alter Boy (S.K. Ren) - pincushioned by orcish arrows
Michael Songsteel the Human Veteran (Motorheadbanger) - ganged upon by a band of orcs
Samuel Greenwood the Human Apprentice (Matt_S) - mutilated by trio of orcs while running away like a sissy

Spoiler: "Date and Time" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "WIP" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 13:14 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Checking for interest - Hackmaster 4e
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:28 »

I will... watch this exchange in interest.

Would like to join in, but time commitments force me to say no.

=(
I computed, therefore I was.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 19:56 »

Could be interesting, though I'm not very familiar with Hackmaster.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 09:02 »

Lack of familiarity can be fixed, but to start anything there needs to be more people interested. Even counting SKRen who mumbled something about being interested on irc, a day or so before I decided to post the topic that'd be only two people. I'd say 3 players is the bare bones minimum for the game to have sense... 4 would be better, and 6 would give the the biggest chance not to die horribly* but that is not very likely to happen.

*I lie - you're still probably going to die horribly, but with six people you'd perhaps manage to do so with dignity :P

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 09:41 »

I absolutely have no idea about what this is, but... Count me in.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 09:42 »

Might give it a try. Going for some kind of rogue character, perhaps.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 10:51 »

I absolutely have no idea about what this is, but... Count me in.
It's an RPg (Role Playing Game) played by forum. If you don't know what RPG's are then, uhhhh... I guess you can take a look at the stickied Scales of War topic above - it's a totally different system, but it should give you at least *some* idea of how this looks. Or this short example straight from Hackmaster PHB.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:53 by Malek Deneith »

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06 »

I've never played Hackmaster or D&D and any pen and paper RPGs, but dying horribly sounds fun.  You can count me in.

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:30 »

Malek Deneith, so that's JUST the forum RPG. I see. I will play, but I usually have a lack of creativity.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 13:39 »

Well it's not like I'm holding a gun to your head or anything - if you feel like trying it then play, but if you feel it's not something you'd enjoy feel free to bow out.

Anyway in a few minutes I'll be sending links to the materials via PM to people who expressed interest. The step-by-step procedure for creating character is in Appendix 'I' of the PHB (Player's Handbook). Follow it carefully, and if in doubt - ask, ask, ASK. Especially people who declared lack of RPG experience. If you find yourself totally lost in the procedure - which can happen, Hackmaster isn't the easiest system to learn the ropes with - I'm willing to even go through the procedure step by step with you via PM.

Please roll using an internet die roller, like for example Invisible castle. If you can find patience to record the steps you take when creating the character this can be helpfull as it'll make easier for me to spot mistakes if you make any.

And to stress this again - while in doubt, ASK.

One house rule:

Every character has Language: Common 100% in addition to their racial language for free (and humans get only Common - screw regional languages, I'll have enough to track without 'em). This still counts against your limit of languages know, but you get that even if you'd normally be limited to 1 language.

Huh? How you ask? *waves hands* MAGIC!

PS. Despite the fact that I'm willing to help newbies learning this is still HACKmaster not BAAAAAAWmaster. You play what you roll, even if the rolls suck.

I might - keyword *might* - make an exception if you roll every stat below 8 or something like that but that's going to be case-by-case thing.

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 16:42 »

I didn't mean anything bad. It's just the lack of skill in language, I guess.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 16:55 »

I am now tempted to roll 9's across the board and make that work.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 04:22 »

An important note that might be easy to overlook at first - you don't calculate your starting honor until Step 11 of the character creation process! You also don't apply Charisma bonus/penalty to Comeliness (if any) until Step 9!

A few more things worth noting:
- if after Step 11 you're in the honor window that gives you +1 to all die rolls that also applies to the rolls you make in later steps (i.e. skill mastery rolls and HP rolls!). The same applies if you're in the window that gives you -1 penalty to all rolls.
- some rolls "penetrate". Penetration happens when you roll a maximum on a die and allows you to roll that die (if you roll 2d4 and they come up 1 and 4 only the second one is rolled again) and add the result -1. And if that result is maximum again you can roll it again and add it -1. This mostly applies to damage and healing rolls, but in character creation skill mastery rolls can penetrate.
- remember that many tables allow you to re-roll the results at cost of 1 BP. Keep an eye out for indications of when you can do it. And of course in cease of doubt - ask.
- if a class or race gives you a skill for free it means you're getting a free skill mastery+honor die roll for it (plus of course the basic stat bonus for first roll). IF said skill has any skill prequisites you get them also, for free, at mastery level of 51% (in general if a skill you want has another as prequisite the prequisite needs to be at mastery of 51+% to qualify). Note that Knight Errants (if you somehow roll high enough to apply for one) got changed and they don't get Armorer and Weaponsmithing skill anymore.
- if you grabbed one of the class books you might find that each of them has a set of tables that allows you to roll to see how your education went - these are OPTIONAL and done after Step 9, but before Step 10. These are a wee bit complicated but sometimes the results can be worth it (When I tried to run HM before I had a Ranger/Cleric character that managed to get 300 xp for his ranger side from fighter tables, and "get bonus cleric spells as if you had 3 more Wisdom" from cleric tables"). Just remember to look over errata for these - for example the final table for magic user training was horribly busted and got re-made in the errata. Ideally, if you decide to brave these consult me over the PM - I know from experience it's easy to get lost in those tables or to overlook some modifier that's mentioned in description but not in tables so I'd prefer to look over rolls made on these.

Aaaand another house rule:
- Skills relating to making a map cease to exist. I don't really see how they can be enforced hence you don't need a skill to draw a map... but you'd still need a geometry related skill (there was one, forgot the name) to get the dinmensions of the corridor/room/whatnot from me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:54 by Malek Deneith »

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 16:18 »

I'm thinking about joining in, but I don't have much experience (I have more rules knowledge than actual experience, and even that is somewhat limited) and I am not a very good writer/storyteller/roleplayer at all.  But I'm interested.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 16:41 »

Well there is still room for more corpses I guess :P PM sent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15