Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Hackmaster 4e OOC  (Read 85693 times)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Hackmaster 4e OOC
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 12:37 »

Ah, Alter Boy = Transmuter.
@shark20061 - I think it'll be fine for you to be in the middle.

Here's one good formation, left being the back, right being the front:
Code: [Select]
ppJS
m LM
m is Maoun on his donkey, p are the other pack animals, J is Jace, L is Sho Lee, S is Samuel(me), M is Michael.  Maoun can detect any threats behind us and watch our pack animals (and Jace), and I assume he could fly to the front pretty easily if we needed him there.  We also have Michael in the front for fighting, and me for shooting and trap-searching.  Sho Lee in the middle means he is close to the front if we need him (Michael can just step forward and give him access), and he also has pretty good access to the back if we're ambushed (Maoun just has to move back, but that could be a problem with the whole ambush thing).
Here's an alternate possibility:
mppJM
 L S
It's a little less compact, but Sho Lee has easier access to the back, and a bit more difficult access to the front.  I still have easy access to the front and an open line of fire, but I'm one space further back and out of danger.

If we're really worried about internal maneuverability we can also stagger the formation a bit in exchange for more space:
mppJ M
  L S
Now Sho Lee has room to maneuver to the front and the back (it takes a couple of moves though).  Plus Jace doesn't have easy access to steal from as many people.

My vote is for the second formation.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 13:25 »

I keep wanting to type "Sho Li" instead of "Sho Lee"

And yes, the Klepto is also conveniently claustrophobic, absentminded, AND hard-of-hearing. This has potential.

"Where'd you get that beer?"
"I found it."
"Where did you find it?"
"...you know, I'm not sure."
"Are you sure that's not my beer?"

...anyway, is a 20 on a saving throw a success? I've been playing so many THAC0 games lately that it's hard to keep straight.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 13:34 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 13:36 »

Uh-oh, I think 20 is a failure.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 13:57 »

That's a success.  You are trying to meet or beat the number in the saving throw table.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 15:55 »

Ah.  Yes, you're right.  I guess it was skill rolls where low rolls are good.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 16:50 »

In light of the Kleptomania, I vote we drag Jace with us. Id rather trust the locals with our crap than a certified Kleptomaniac.
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 17:03 »

Yes, a 20 is a save. Actually anything starting at 10 and going above would work for you (damn those cleric save tables). You still take -10% to all skills and -2 to hit and saves while in enclosed area.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 17:49 »

Jace should definitely come with us regardless of his penalties.  But there's still the question of what we do with our pack animals.  We could use Sho Lee's (or someone else's?) rope to tie them to Emuleio so Maoun can keep them together in the back.  Or we can each watch our own animal (Sam's mule, Maoun's mule, and Michael's whatever he has) which would basically mean single-file for me and also for Michael unless he can ride his animal.  The option of leaving them outside isn't very appealing since we'll need to take them through here eventually, and I kind of need mine since I'm within one pound of my encumbrance limit, even with my mule carrying my food supplies (we are going to find loot, right?).

My suggested formation if we each watch our own animal:
m J ppM
 L  S
The space between me and Jice is intentional: it keeps him from stealing my stuff, and, for reasons my character knows, it gives me a place to walk back into if Sho Lee needs to get to the front.  I still have a pretty clear line of sight this way (that's why Michael has his animal behind him).  It is pretty space inefficient though, but I guess that's not really too important.  I'd say if nobody donates their rope for this rather meager purpose, this would be the best formation.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 18:10 by Matt_S »

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 18:41 »

Just keep in mind, if you are more than 10 feet away from me, you don't get the benefit from my Emphkrin tattoo. So I should be somewhere near the middle. That also prevents me from being the first to die on a flanking attack :P

I suggest:
J  M S
  L  mpp
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 18:54 »

So the unarmed claustrophobe is in front.

We're so gonna get zapped with irony.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 19:05 »

Hmm, only ten feet...  The bad thing about putting Jace in the back is that 1) he can run away pretty easily, and 2) he might steal our stuff if nobody watches him.  I wouldn't really trust Sho Lee to watch him because he wouldn't care if WE get robbed.  Also keeping all the animals in front could be troublesome if we get in an encounter.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2012, 19:07 »

Wait... I think you are looking at the picture backwards Matt_S, Im in the back on my formation.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2012, 19:08 »

I wouldn't really trust Sho Lee to watch him because he wouldn't care if WE get robbed.

You got that right.  Character AND Player.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 19:10 »

...Oh, so you ARE putting Jace in front.  Maybe you should switch him around with Michael.  Hmm, but then Michael's far away from you.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2012, 19:17 »

On another note, I think you guys are really over-thinking this.  All that will really matter is whose in front and whose in back.  We can move around and rearrange after whatever crazy idea Malek has is sprung.

But I think Michael should lead, since he's a fighter and all.  I should probably be in the front too, but all you have to do to make that happen is just give me a push.  Otherwise I'll keep my mid right position.  Keep the cargo in the back.  Jace gets penalties here, so he should probably be in the back too (he is healer and support after all, so he shouldn't be in the front anyway).  The rest can fill the gaps.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15