Chaosforge Forum

• June 15, 2024, 20:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shotgun slugs  (Read 3289 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Shotgun slugs
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:19 »

I am trying to understand how to make a shotty build but it feels as if its a lacking option in everyway!

When you use EE or Intuition, all the weapons can benefit from it hugely allowing you to be flexible, but if you are a shotty build then EE becomes useless!

On top of that, going full shotty build and having a side weapon to fight with makes it very difficult because you will be carrying 2 ammo types and you wont have much accuracy and inventory space unless you heavily mod your ranged weapons.

So, how about adding a new gun type or Alt-fire for the shotgun shells?  many games have the shotgun slugs which is a single big shell used for mid range.

Long reload times but its a viable way to deal with shotties natural weakness.

random unrelated note, cant we make double shotty shoot one shell at a time with alt fire? would be good if you could shoot twice separately for more strategic advantage.

what do you guys think?

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
Re: Shotgun slugs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 13:06 »

EE is useless for shotguns, but Intuition is one of the most useful traits for shotgunners (and indeed, players in general) as it removes need for scouting with your shotgun. There was a request for shotguns to have their way of hitting changed from a guaranteed hit to (something along the lines of) the shotgun rolling for a hit on each enemy within it's cone.

Personally, I'm fine with the current way of shotguns working, and the range weakness should stay, because when you play a shotty build you're sacrificing range for raw power.

And I think the double-shotgun's alt-fire does make it shoot a single shell.
Use power for power.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 13:11 »

I think it's not needed.
if you are a shotty build then EE becomes useless!
Well, actually it still gives +2 to accuracy which is the same as for non-shotty builds.
After all (unless on AoSh) you're not limited to shotguns only.
Another thing: define shotty build.Build with shotgun master trait?Then EE is blocked anyway.Build with Shottyman?Then what's the problem of taking EE?
Using shotguns only, taking EE and saying it's useless is basically the same as playing melee and saying Reloader is useless, or for rapid-fire Son of a Gun is useless.
It is true, but that's not a game problem, it's just not all traits are useful for any purpose.Moreover, taking EE with shotty build makes you more proficien in non-shotgun combat.
And the fact that shotguns never miss, but their damage drop with distance is their unique property.I'm probably against this shotgun slug idea.
On top of that, going full shotty build and having a side weapon to fight with makes it very difficult because you will be carrying 2 ammo types and you wont have much accuracy and inventory space unless you heavily mod your ranged weapons.
I believe it is common to have at least two types of ammo anyway.
And since you took shotty build then your shotgun rules.Or at least supposed to.With MAD it rocks.With shottyhead you have juggler(instaswitch ftw), with MFa you can just ignore lots of normally problematic enemies.
Since you have shottyman you also have Rel2, so just blast your enemy with rockets when it's away.Or with BFG.

P.S.Way longer than i intended to write.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 13:13 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 13:25 »

You need EE to take Intuition if you are not a scout, so are you saying that scout is the only way to use a proper shotty build?

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 13:34 »

...with MFa you can just ignore lots of normally problematic enemies.
Well, not under the current version...
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 15:51 »

Actually - it's pretty much VERY common to carry at least three ammo types. (Typically for me, that would be 10mm/shells, rockets and a few spare cells if I have the room)

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 16:47 »

scout is the only way to use a proper shotty build?
I'll write it again:
if shotty build by your words means using ONLY shotguns in ALL situations then yeah - EE is worthless and if you want Int without loss of two traits then play Scout.
If shotty build means using shotguns as main weapon, then there's no problem taking EE for more effective usage of other weapons.
Also i already managed - you can't take EE with MAD/MFa so that's a bit pointless discussion about wanting Int when playing non-scout shotty build.
And if you stop at Shottyman and go masterless then that's not usually a pure shotty build.
Well, not under the current version...
Well, it'll be fixed...
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 20:08 »

Well, it'll be fixed...

It has been fixed, but the fixed version is not yet available.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 23:42 »

I am trying to understand how to make a shotty build but it feels as if its a lacking option in everyway!

You say it's 'a lacking option'; the thing it appears to lack is points put into useful traits. I believe that a good shottyman's pseudo-Int is radar shooting in the first place; why spend the levels to ignore that advantage of the weapon type?

I don't have a problem with Int(2). It gives a definite tactical advantage. It is also not necessary. Playing with it too much might lead you to assume it always has to be there, leading to 'useless' levels in Eagle Eye for particular builds. With practice, your own intuition can serve better in telling you how the enemy moves (they're kind of stupid) without diverting traits away from getting to MAD (great damage boost) or MFa (practical invincibility against half the game) or plain being tougher and stronger.

I don't believe the shotgun's inherent weakness needs to be removed or mitigated so that Eagle Eye is not useless during a shotguns-only game.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: [1]