Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: AoSh vs Cyberdemon?  (Read 5510 times)

Ischaldirh

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
AoSh vs Cyberdemon?
« on: February 12, 2012, 14:05 »

So I'm having difficulty beating AoSh. Two points kill me most often: Chained Court (after Hell's Arena), and Tower of Babel. The former I can always just skip so I'm not worried about that (plus I can usually beat it as long as I don't get impatient and/or reckless, and bring a few medkits). However every time I fight the Cyberdemon I have major trouble beating him. Shotguns are terribly weak at range, and I can never get close to him without eating a rocket and getting tossed back a half-dozen tiles. I've tried hiding behind the pillars until he gets close and then cornershooting him and trying to dance around away from him, but every time after three or so shots he just demolishes the pillar and I'm back where I started. Any tips?

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: AoSh vs Cyberdemon?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 14:52 »

Dodgemaster is a great trait against Cyberdemon.You can dodge all rockets with it, while being one step away from Cybie.So MFa is easy choice.Dodge, shoot, dodge, shoot.With Shottyhead you can take DM too.
If you're going for MAD then turn on running, try to sidestep his shots and shoot.
Fireproof red armor helps too.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

tinyrodent

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 15:04 »

If you don't complete Hell's Arena then Chained Court is super easy with shotguns. Open a door, shoot until you hear a pain sound then duck out of sight and wait for enemy to come near. Repeat until all formers are dead. Then shoot a door open across from the lava and wait for enemy to appear, kill it. I often complete this without taking any damage. Then grab all 4 berserk and the chainsaw for a super long lasting buff through the next levels.

The other Chained Court map is more difficult but still within reason. Use the same approach on the right side of the room first, try to kill enemies on the door or blast them into the lava so that the arena master can't revive them. Grab the agility mod and maybe put it on your boots. Then lead enemies from the left. Grab berserk and use red armor to fight the arena master. You can't dodge his ranged attack so rush in close and blast him.
Arch-Vile Major

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 15:05 »

I find that Shottyhead helps a lot. You can dodge like mad and fire off more shots to actually hurt him.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 16:09 »

So I'm having difficulty beating AoSh. Two points kill me most often: Chained Court (after Hell's Arena), and Tower of Babel. The former I can always just skip so I'm not worried about that (plus I can usually beat it as long as I don't get impatient and/or reckless, and bring a few medkits). However every time I fight the Cyberdemon I have major trouble beating him. Shotguns are terribly weak at range, and I can never get close to him without eating a rocket and getting tossed back a half-dozen tiles. I've tried hiding behind the pillars until he gets close and then cornershooting him and trying to dance around away from him, but every time after three or so shots he just demolishes the pillar and I'm back where I started. Any tips?

I've noted the same problem with AoSh and Cybie. Unfortunately, the challenge severely limits the players options in terms of build as the Dodgemaster route is about the only guaranteed way to get by him. Army of the Dead is possible but not guaranteed (success varies with difficult level). The only other choice is pray for something like the Jackhammer or nuke/invul combo. All of these options require a large number of shells which means you had better have cleaned out the sergeants in the Halls of Carnage. All in all, I'm not impressed with the AoSh/Cybie roadblock.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 16:11 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 22:47 »

The other Chained Court map is more difficult but still within reason. Use the same approach on the right side of the room first, try to kill enemies on the door or blast them into the lava so that the arena master can't revive them. Grab the agility mod and maybe put it on your boots. Then lead enemies from the left. Grab berserk and use red armor to fight the arena master. You can't dodge his ranged attack so rush in close and blast him.

May I ask where you are getting red armor from. (Since it only drops at 7+ and Phobos Anomaly...)

In regards to Cybie tactics, I would have to agree with dodgemaster.

It really sucks having Anomaly at dlevel 8 (7 earlier than before) and Cybie at dlevel 16(?) (14 earlier than before.) Before you would have a chance to peek into Hell's Armory before having to fight the Anomaly. Yes I do believe the Anomaly has been nerfed a little, old Cybie is still a bitch. Unless you get lucky with Lava Armour, specifically build Fireproof Red/Blue Armor, or just totally luck out, have beserk or invuln going in...it's a pretty hard fight. Considering all....

tinyrodent

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 23:47 »

I should have said blue armor... arena master does plasma damage according to the wiki.
Arch-Vile Major

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 00:09 »

I should have said blue armor... arena master does plasma damage according to the wiki.

Quote from changelog:

[new] -- TR#---: New Arch-Vile AI, also damage changed to 20 fire-based

I'm sorry...I'll shut up now....

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:39 »

If you happen to run into a tension room, you may find a red armor as soon as on level 2.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Ischaldirh

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 11:36 »

Thanks for the tips - I'll give them a go tonight probably. Going for Dodgemaster instead of beelining to a shotgun master trait... never thought of that.

byrel

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 14:32 »

Another option is to get tactical gear (so you move faster), find an invincible pillar, and corner-shoot him to death. (Though now that I think of it, I'm not sure if there is an invincible pillar anymore. Hmmm)
[22/13/7/1/0]
First Lieutenant
Hell Baron

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:01 »

The cybie was mortally wounded when i died to him on AoSh.... The way to hurt him is get close enough that he fires, THEN tries to melee you. Run & fire with Shottyhead, and he'll be after you- with an unloaded rocket launcher. He'll be taking Double Shotgun blasts straight to the face and not reloading. WARNING- CYBIE IS IMMUNE TO CORNERSHOOTING, AND WILL SCORE A DIRECT HIT ANYWAY. (He also likes sniping cross-map.) However, when his health dropped, he reloaded.... Cover is nearly unusable, as solid walls barely seem to even hinder his flying missiles of death anymore.
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]
Pages: [1]