Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 05:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Request for Ideas : 2D combat in space  (Read 24374 times)

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
spaceships!!
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 10:58 »

One thing I'm a fan of is reasonably real physics.  Even in a 2D combat game, I like inertia to play a role.  Lasers wouldn't make the ship buckle, but missle impacts would, and mass drivers would affect your movement as well as the victim's.  You'd accelerate and decelerate, instead of constantly thrusting, and maybe how heavy your ship was and how decent your engines were would have a bearing on how fast you could go, and how easy it would be to change direction.

The complexity you're talking about, Kornel, reminds me of games of Starflight, where it was real time, but not too fast.  You'd pick tactical options, like which ship to fire your missles at, and your lasers would hit the target instantly although usually be less effective.

Were you thinking of a single pilot sort of game, or one with a crew, like a corvette-style ship?

torch

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Ideas : 2D combat in space
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 05:58 »

First off, I haven't got the time to read this whole thread so my apologies if the topic has move too far from the original request or if anyone else has already suggested this. 

I have had a lot of fun with this 2D space combat, although you control a small squad of ships, I always got more enjoyment out of building one huge ship and doing everything myself.  The "turn based" style of plotting your next move and which missiles to fire, then playing out the next few seconds of action, then back to the thinking about the next move is tense and loads of fun. 

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/critical.html
the monsters are looking forward to your make-believe visit

Cora

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 08:48 »

I'm(with a small team of 3 friends) now actualy working on smthing like space simulator. Main part of the game is physics, 3-D with collisions AND active parts. Let me describe:
if you have a ship with "Auto-hiding reverse engine", phys engine can open or close it. It seems to be overuse of physics, BUT if other pilot will shot them out, he'll not hurt your ship, but destroy your "blah-blah engines". Same with other parts, which can destroy enemy after YOUR explosion. Also lots of other stuff, like rocket box in the ship, heat from engines etc

Still work on the phys continues, because it still somewhat buggy, but already 3D))

game play will be in this game 2D (I think it'll hold battle heat better then 3d gameplay) but you can rotate your ship on "front-rear" line

(PS project C#)

Daqin

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 04:58 »

Hey there
I wonder of whatabouts of this idea. Is it still alive ?

I always wanted to make something like this and I have many combat systems in my notebook that came to my mind at that time. But I would prefer turn based system, somehow. I have some ideas in my mind. It would have simple interface, however many possible choices of crew skills, maneuvers and options. Crew would get new abilities with experience (and game could be very character oriented), for example:

if enginer can learn to perform, lets say, a Energy Discharge, then he can tranfer energy from guns to shield at any moment (this would work like interrupt in card games, so to every your action there could be reaction and vice versa) and in emergency save ship from some big damage that could occur.

These abilities (crew, commander-you, and ship has) would have cooldown and after performing there will be time in turns to make them available again (different for different abilities, some fast, some once per combat, etc), and they could have cost in energy or other things to perform (so maybe you would have to have some usable up equipment to perform them). So it would be very tactical in deciding what to use if you are not sure of skill (and abilities) of enemy crew, if they have some ship modifications (that allow performing this or that action) or what to hold in reserve, or simply how much energy spent on certain abilities. Many kinds of equipmemnt could also allow special actions,  like scanners to see what systems enemy ship has (what abilities, counter abilities can use against you etc), and all sorts of common stuff like ecm, jamming etc.
But the main thing would be what special abilties (with cooldown) different types of ships, crew and characters can perform. For example:

high level gunner could learn skill named, mmm, Deadly Aim (or whatever, heh..) that gives 75% chance for critical hit on enemy ship once per battle (or say, every 10 turns). Unfortunately, this could be countered by enemys ship special ability of Enhanced Armor which can make any crit hit a normal one. But luckily, you disabled possibility for special action on enemy ship with your Ion Gun shot... etc.

Add to this energy maintaining and allocation, and standard stats like weapons damage, shields, hull ond other. To simplify play you could in your turn mark to what counter abilities you give energy (so they could be automaticaly used in enemys turn) or what ability your crew prepare (which means that character can't do anything else this turn). So, in your turn you would just make few clicks..and thats all. Simple. And lots of tactics.

I don't know if you still want to that however

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 17:41 »

Is it still alive ?

Yes it is. As for more detail you'll have to wait until Kornel decides to unveil more - even people with access to all areas know little for now.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 07:56 »

even people with access to all areas know little for now.

Access to all areas? Hm, how about trying the torture chamber?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2007, 09:43 »

even people with access to all areas know little for now.

Access to all areas? Hm, how about trying the torture chamber?

Omg! No, not DoomGirl again!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All