Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Couple of questions about sound hooks  (Read 5075 times)

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
Couple of questions about sound hooks
« on: February 16, 2012, 16:26 »

A little background: I play DoomRL with some modifications to the stock soundset. The modifications are mostly for powerups, player weapon firing/reloading, and a couple individualizations to monster attack sounds. I am aware that monster pain sounds can be set on a per-creature basis, but I've left those all but untouched, only changing the pain sounds for the boss monsters (Shambler, Cybie, AoD, and Spidey). Not all the modifications were originally my work, but I remember where everything comes from in my significantly altered sound.lua.

Since my introduction's probably just scared off the non-technical forumites, my big questions for anybody left are:

*Can a given event have different sounds depending on what conditions the event procs? Specifically, I'm asking about the "berserk counter increase" event (I know, scientific terms). It apparently is presently hooked only to the pickup sound of the Berserk Pack. I changed that pickup sound to be a couple seconds of psychotic, murderous screams, which is awesome. Hearing the whole sound whenever I proc the Berserker trait in a fistfight, not so much.

*Next, I also changed the Thermonuclear Bomb to have an even greater "kaboom" when the timer hits zero, but all nuclear explosions seem to use the same sound clip, and is not related to the sound as set on a per-item basis. Is this sound controlled elsewhere from sound.lua?

*Can I set the sound for overcharging a weapon? If so, what's the action I'd need to add into the .lua under an overchargeable weapon?

*Finally, can assemblies be given a different soundset versus their base item? (Probably not, I think DoomRL treats assemblies basically as the base item. Personally, I'd think it'd be cool if assemblies became new items.)

From what I know, it looks like the first two cases may be hardcoded. In that case, perhaps it might be worth considering a change, or at least a second look.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of questions about sound hooks
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 17:49 »

1) Would require a new soundbind
2) I'm guessing here, but I think Nuke uses the .explode sound
3) Overcharging is a type of reload so it uses .reload sounds I'm afraid
4) Assemblies are still base item

As for changes - not very likely, at least at this time. Last time I tried to make KK fix something soundbind related I didn't manage any success, and there was even some sound API rewrite planned (by KK himself) that even had a thread for input on things that could be done along the way aaand... nothing. I think KK doesn't even remember about that anymore. So yeah sound related stuff isn't really looked into at least at the moment - maybe we can get more attention once graphics are done... maybe.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 19:06 »

(Answers)
Alright, thanks. It's a little disappointing, but I fully expected that most of the sound stuff is pretty immutable. Thanks again for your time!
[19/12/5/1/0]

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 00:11 »

I apologize for the double post, but this is probably better than starting another thread.

How long, exactly, is the time delay between shots in a volley for rapid-fire weapons? This delay did change when animations went asynchronous (it got a lot shorter), but just how long is it now?
[19/12/5/1/0]

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 14:57 »

I changed that pickup sound to be a couple seconds of psychotic, murderous screams, which is awesome.
Oh! I wanted one of those. Where'd you get em?

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 16:54 »

Oh! I wanted one of those. Where'd you get em?
It's a snippet from the Doom 3 Berserk... uhm "ambient" (?) sound. It's kinda hard to find, but it can be dug up from one of the .pk4 archives. I don't remember exactly which subfolder it was under, try simply searching for the "berserk" string.
[19/12/5/1/0]
Pages: [1]