Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Hackmaster 4e IC - Quest for the Unknown  (Read 58816 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Hackmaster 4e IC - Quest for the Unknown
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:06 »

Rogahn the Fearless and Zelligar the Unknown. Even the youngest in Garweeze Wurld heard their names, and elders and sages speak about those two legendary figures with respect or even awe...

You have heard parts of the story before. Rogahn was a great warrior, his reputation spreading far and wide. Zelligar was as famous, though his cause the renown came from his mastery of art of magic. No one knows how the two men came together but whatever circumstances of their meeting it resulted in a strong bond of friendship forming between them, a bond that would last for ages. Not long after the pair disappeared from the view of civilization, and rumors started floating about them constructing some sort of hideaway, deep in the wilderness. Some even started whispering that their common motive was greed, or some evil goal. In any case they jointly led a life in seclusion, only occasionally venturing away from their secret stronghold to add to their reputations.

It wasn't until many years later, when from lands to the northwest came a great gnome-titan invasion threatening to engulf the Meletian Kingdom, that the duo surfaced yet again. Rogahn leading a small army of hirelings, and Zelligar wielding his fearsome magics faced the gnome-titans in a battle in a narrow pass, and forced the invasion back. Before they returned to their place of solitude they were richly rewarded for their deeds, and while most agree that bulk of the fortune was spent on furthering the construction of their hideaway, rumors said a good amount remained.

But the most exciting part is the most recent one. Last year Rogahn and Zelligar apparently decided to join an expedition into lands of Gnome Portectorates. Taking most of their hirelings with them, they disappeared into the lands of hated gnome folk, on a great adventure, which some think might've been asked by the very gawds themselves. Lately a word of a great battle in the gnome-titan lands reached your ears, along with speculation that Rogahn and Zelligar met their demise there. If that's true then their secret base would've been nearly unguarded and ripe for exploration... and ripe for the looting.

It's no wonder that when a passing grel hunter with a scar through his eye - how such an individual managed to let the guard let him in better left unknown - offered you to sell a map leading to what he believed to be the fabled hideout of the duo you decided to risk the chance of the map being fake and bought it after pooling your money. Banding together you quickly organized yourself and went on a journey, hoping that nobody else would find the place before you do...

Several days later you find yourselves near the end of the journey. Apparently during the last year civilization creeped upon the place Rogahn and Zelligar call home, since not far from where your map was leading you, you stumble upon a village - a collection of few small houses with a shoddy inn, barely capable old cleric and a marketplace that's visited by merchants roughly each Run'mar - that got settled lately. You spend the night, and the next day - Flur'mar, the useless day - before finally leaving early on the first day of new year. It's Sa'Mar of the First Week of Haar'Kiev year 174 T.R., the New Year's Day and the first day of Spring. The midday passed not long ago, and it's still a bit chilly, but you're warmed by the thought that the threacherous, narrow pathway you and your pack animals are traversing should lead you to your goal - a place marked on the map with the rune 'Q', at least according to what Maoun, being the only one able to read tells you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 16:13 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Hackmaster 4e IC - Quest for the Unknown
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:32 »

"Oh, good lord, why should we leave so early? My head hurts like hell..." — mumbled Michael. He reached a metal flask, shaken it, unscrewed the cap, turned the flask upside-down and shaken it again. "Oh, fine. Gotta find some booze." — he said. "Where can I find some gawddam' rum here?" — he shouted, addressing no one in particular.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:42 by Motorheadbanger »

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:18 »

Maoun glided along as the party marched through the pass, his wings a shimmering blur behind him. The sun, still high, beat down on his pale ivory skin; a stark contrast to his earthen robes. His hair too was white, even more so than his skin. The brisk air of the canyon kept him alert, always watching the surroundings and the skies. Yes, the skies were the home of Maoun's greatest foe: Birds. It has always been unknown to himself why birds assault him instinctively, but the blighted things were a constant menace.
    "So... did anyone hear anything relevant to our target?," The silence, apart from his companion's sobered ranting, had gotten the better of him, "I heard that there are guards remaining, parting gifts from Rogahn and Zelligar. That and, if the rumors are to be believed, the complex is only two stories high; three if you count the roof. Though if you ask me I suspect will be some underground levels as well." The lack of a reaction gave Maoun pause, one thing he hated was wasting his breath. If he wanted to talk to himself, he could do it in his own head. With an mischievous grin he continued "I've also heard that the blighted place is haunted; riddled with spooks. So much so that even the very walls will speak to you."
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:41 »

"Well, I heard" — said Michael — "that both big guys are sitting there, and something about pools". The guy that told me this was really serious about those pools. He was also really drunk, however. Hey, guys, do you have some ale with you? Looks like I'm having one big bad hangover."

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40 »

"I didn't hear nothing about no fools. Still, the road might be interesting, all the graves of adventurers who couldn't quite hack it... I think it's supposed to be one in five that doesn't come back alive? Still, it would be such a shame to lose one of you." Jace looks around. "As long as I don't have to go underground... hmm, that reminds me, did I remember to pack my powders?"
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:10 »

Sho Lee scoffs.  He does not care to "socialize" with the rest, as who really needs to hear what he has to say?  Words take precious time, and the less time spent on unimportant things -- like Michael's lack of booze, or Maoun's discussion of rumors, or Jace's absent-mindedness -- is more time for Sho Lee to focus on what IS important: Himself.

Lost in his own thoughts, Sho Lee trails a little behind the rest of the group.

Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:35 »

Samuel feels his clean-shaven chin and his tidy black hair - always tidy up before an adventure, they say.  Unfortunately his physique doesn't match his looks.  Sam trudges along with the weight of his equipment bearing down on him; he gives his mule a light pat as thanks for helping to bear the load.  And he can't help but feel bit nervous after Jace's comment.  One in five...?

Samuel looks over his companions, trying to reassure himself of their competence.  They appear up to the task, but what about him?  He won't be the one in five... "No," Sam mutters, "nobody will be."  He can only hope.  Better not dwell on it, just get back on the subject of this complex.

"Yeah, uhh... I think I remember hearing something about pools.  There's a room full of them... somewhere in the place."  It doesn't take his mind off the danger, but he continues. "And the complex apparently isn't complete, or at least some parts of it."  Sam pauses to think for a bit.  "Also... Hmm..." Back in thought, he doesn't finish talking.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02 »

While you talk the pathway you're traversing turns, and you see that a few hundred yards ahead it ends, leading to a craggy outcropping of weathered limestone. In it you can barely make out an outline of a cave-like opening, hidden beneath various vegatation.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27 »

"This looks interesting..." Always cautious, Sam grabs his crossbow from his backpack.  He tries to listen for any potential dangers.  Maybe this is just paranoia...

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:34 »

"Leave me out of any competing, unless it's about who can sway the most fools." Jace blocks the sun out with his hands as he squints at the craggy outcropping. "Am I seeing things, or is there a cave in those rocks?"
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:39 »

Wind blows, trees make rustling sounds, birds sing somewhere afar. If anything else is in the vicinity it's quiet enough for Sam not to hear.

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 15:43 »

Michael draws his sword.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 16:58 »

Sho Lee looks at Michael, then returns to his own thoughts.

He's just being paranoid.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 19:05 »

Samuel sees his first opportunity to be useful: "Cave or not, I'll check for any traps when we get up to the entrance."

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 19:11 »

The appearance of the rocky outcropping had obviously gotten the majority of the party riled, though for what he wasn't sure. His Emphkrin tattoo wasn't alerting him to anything yet so there was no clear present danger. Though if things do get dicey, it would not do for Emuleio to go running off and loose all of my gear. Looping back, Maoun landed on the back of his pack mule, Emuleio. Double checking the straps on all his bags and containers, he gave a sigh of content. Giving his companion a scratch behind the ears, Maoun looked hesitantly at down the crevasse.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 19:30 by S.K. Ren »
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10