Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 22:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL Stream - to attempt to raise RL awareness...so to speak...  (Read 4835 times)

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile

As a little backstory - I've run a stream for about a month and a half now. I used to have quite a bit of popularity back when I was streaming mainstream games (SM64, OoT etc) however that has run it's course and I am now quite enjoyably streaming whatever the hell I want...It's great.

Tonight during a laugh fest of MW2 - my little group started talking about DoomRL - and claimed that you didn't get a rocket launcher from Hell's Arena. I naturally like the smartass prick I am jumped up and claimed instantly that you did, and that I would prove it by placing DoomRL on the stream and showing indecisively that there was a rocket launcher.

After doing just that, I thought I'd finish out the run, I got through the Anomaly, through Armoury, skipped City of Skulls, found a GCB, slapped the Cyberdemon in the face then got a cheesy death on Hell 1 from a Commando while I was switching firing modes for the GCB...he came out of nowhere I swear!

Now here's my plan - I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of "play till I win" with DoomRL, next Friday (24/02/12) starting around 11:00am GMT. (Grenwich Mean Time) I really enjoy DoomRL and to stream it is awesome, however I'm going to need some bums on seats so to speak. I know this may sound like a great way to increase my popularity through you guys, but think about it...if I stop streaming DoomRL (which I will after I run this little stunt) you probably won't be interested. Status Quo maintained - successful! (Also yes, I will be plugging the fact this (DoomRL) is free and that you can very easily download it from this great website (The one you are on now), then posting links etc etc)

If anyone thinks this is a great/crap idea, please say so. Also your support of the event in just loading the stream page and idling there is helpful. To get on the "front page" of twitch tv's game index - you only need about 10-20 people - and that's not a lot once random people show up, which is awesome.

A link to my stream can be found here - http://www.twitch.tv/softman25 - And with some nifty navigation, you may even find the DoomRL video I just did...(Skip to about 1 hour 30 minutes for the start of the DoomRL section)

Thank you all for your support or even if you just read the thread - it means a lot to me to realise that you care - whether you feed constructive criticism or positive praise or whatever!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 21:14 by Pricklyman »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: DoomRL Stream - to attempt to raise RL awareness...so to speak...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09 »

Oh man, I've been wanting a DoomRL livestream for a while now. ParaSait did it a couple of times and it was a hell of a time.

Unfortunately that's going to be a really hard time for me to hit, since I'm GMT-4. I'll try to remember and go to sleep super early so I can wake up and watch the imps burn.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 17:21 »

Time zones: Thou art heartless bitches.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:50 »

Now here's my plan - I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of "play till I win" with DoomRL, next Friday (24/02/12) starting around 9:30 GMT +10:30 (Adelaide Australia time).

Wait, do you mean it's 9:30 England time, so 20:00 your time, or 9:30 Australia time, making it Thursday 23:00 GMT?
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:07 »

Yeah, I have kind of goofed in that respect.

When I say GMT + 10:30, I mean + 9:30 (DST). (Because we have DST at the moment.)

So yeah, it's 9:30 my time - i.e. Adelaide time - which is GMT + 9:30 (DST)

I'm sorry for the confusion, I just suck at time zones when there is DST involved...I have no idea really!

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:48 »

So translating to other time zones, that would mean just around midnight, starting Friday in central Europe and Thursday at six in the evening in eastern North America, right?
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01 »

So translating to other time zones, that would mean just around midnight, starting Friday in central Europe and Thursday at six in the evening in eastern North America, right?

I'm sorry, but as I said, I'm really not that great with time zones. But I do use a really great tool to convert time zones for me.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

This free web tool converts times based on location and your time zone, it's pretty easy to use as long as you have a general idea of your time zone, and the time zone you are attempting to convert to.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:37 »

Oh. Well in THAT case I shouldn't have any trouble doing it at all. I figured he meant that it was starting at 9:30 GMT globally, and that the +10:30 was indicating the shift he experienced (that is, that he would be starting at 9:30+10:30 = 20:00).

I would suggest you edit the OP and indicate the global start time, which sounds like it'll be 23:00 GMT on Thursday. Maybe say that you'll be starting it at 9:30AM Friday in your local time if you want, just be sure to distinguish global and local.

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 21:14 »

Yeah, that's a good idea - fixed it just then.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 20:32 »

I guess this is about eight hours away, just so everybody knows when to tune in. DRL streams! Hoohah!

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 22:43 »

I guess this is about eight hours away, just so everybody knows when to tune in. DRL streams! Hoohah!

Yes, it is still happening!

If anyone wants me to put something on IRC when it starts - another post here when it starts - or a PM through Steam - or anything - just ask here!

But get in quick - On my end we are 5 hours from go time!

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:42 »

The stream is now starting...as in nao! Check it out here:

http://www.twitch.tv/softman25

Hope you enjoy - should finish about 3 hours from the time of this post...

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43 »

I know I'm triple posting - but I assure you - the topic of the posts are completely different!

The stream just finished, thank you to all who came, who helped me in my FIRST VICTORY EVER! Not a full victory...just standard...but I feel good!

The mortem with commentary can be found here

I will be streaming DoomRL next week as well, same time, same place, so I'll try keep the stream to this thread, hope to see you there!

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 00:30 »

I know I've been stacking on the posts for this thread...but meh...

Thanks to the timely release of 9.9.6G, I will be (proudly) presenting the DoomRL stream this week...

WITH TILES!

Come one come all, just in case you want to check those sexy tiles out! :D

(Still the same time.11:00am GMT on Friday!)
Pages: [1]