Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Separate downloads for ascii and graphics version when it comes out?  (Read 3470 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile

Not really a feature request, but it would be nice to have separate downloads for the new version when it comes out. One for a just ascii version and one for the graphic version. Mostly for people like myself using old machines with limited storage space. I will most likely end up playing in ascii mode and would prefer to have a just ascii version to download in order to keep the file size down so I won't have a bunch of extra graphic files taking up space.
-Legend

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Seconded.

Kornel, I think that we should do it this way.
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF

I'd suggest that there should be a regular download, and a lite download. Regular is all-inclusive (with ascii AND graphics), and lite is a minimalistic download without graphics and music.
Removing the ascii version from the graphical download seems pretty pointless to me as it doesn't make a big difference size-wise.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

I'd include the high-res sounds with the regular downloads as well. The difference in size is only 945 kB packed, and 1,44 MB unpacked. That's about half the difference in size between versions 0.9.9.5 and 0.9.9.6 beta 2, which I assume is largely accounted for by the graphics.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Let's be honest.  Folks who get the graphical version are highly unlikely to touch the console one, while the console players might not really want to care about the graphics version.  We could release two packages, one which is similar to the current beta download packs (console + graphics), while the other is just the regular console version that we've been seeing forever.

I think that might be a bit more sane.  But I suppose we all sort of agree that there should be separate packaging for the graphics version and the console version; the only questions is whether to include the console version in the graphics one as a "freebie".
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF

the only questions is whether to include the console version in the graphics one as a "freebie".
That's basically what I meant to say. There's no reason to omit it from the graphical version.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/

Um, I'd like to note that both versions run the same executable. There's no reason to cut code from any of them, and the added size for graphics is a lot smaller than the added size for music/sound (even the low-fi). The game run in console mode, doesn't even load the tiles into memory and DOESN'T require the presence of any graphics library (not even X's on Linux!).

Added size for the tiles is about 1 MB. The reason I want to keep the code together (and the versions also) is that it really helps with debugging, and allows to handle errors, bug reports and the like in a GFX agnostic matter.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile

The less than 10mb size of 9.5 is pretty different than the 80mb zipped size of the new 9.6 version. About how big is it when unzipped?

I know for most people now days 80mb isn't much of an issue, but I currently have less than 1gb hd space. That's the point I was making with requesting separate downloads.

***Edit***
Just noticed the "depreciated version. What is the difference exactly?
-Legend

drugon

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Adventure-seeker @ in the Cyber Dungeon quest!
    • View Profile

Just noticed the "depreciated version. What is the difference exactly?
Only the music I think. It's in MP3 in usual version and in midi in LQ version. LQ version have tiles.
[BB|SB|GB|PB|DB] 0.9.9.7
[15|05|03|00|00]

If somebody will find grammar mistakes in my posts, please tell me. It's important to improve my English!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/

Also LQ sound as opposed to HQ remastered versions.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]