Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 02:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Two problems please help.  (Read 4987 times)

Tompig

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Two problems please help.
« on: February 19, 2012, 16:48 »

Hey guys, started playing DoomRL again after a long hiatus and was delighted to find its just as fun as i remember it, but I've encountered two problems.

1. When playing in full screen after about 10 seconds, the screen goes black! It never used to do this and im very confused.
I can hear things moving around, and I can still alt-tab so it's not frozen, just completely black screen. (This is using both the Exe and the Bat on WinXP)

2. Also not related to the game much but still very annoying, one of the commands in DoomRL causes Realtek HD Audio manager to mute its recording volume, I'm not sure what causes it, but when I am talking to friends   over mumble they cant hear a thing, and I have to alt tab to put the volume back to full.

Thanks in advance for the help ^_^

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Two problems please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 18:59 »

Hi, welcome to the forum...

1. When playing in full screen after about 10 seconds, the screen goes black! It never used to do this and im very confused.
I can hear things moving around, and I can still alt-tab so it's not frozen, just completely black screen. (This is using both the Exe and the Bat on WinXP)
Does this happen with other console applications as well? Try opening cmd or anything and go fullscreen in that, see what happens.
Also, if the screen goes black, is it okay again in windowed mode if you exit fullscreen?

2. Also not related to the game much but still very annoying, one of the commands in DoomRL causes Realtek HD Audio manager to mute its recording volume, I'm not sure what causes it, but when I am talking to friends   over mumble they cant hear a thing, and I have to alt tab to put the volume back to full.
?
Which command exactly?
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Tompig

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01 »

The first problem with going black while full screen also effects CMD in run.

The second problem apparently isnt from a key command, its from pressing enter to start the game! O_o (Realtek is weird.)

Both at the first screen to get into the main menu, and the screen after the story text to get into the game itself.

I can safely say, I have no idea what is going on >_>

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44 »

Just a couple things you might want to double-check:

1: You might try updating your video drivers, if you haven't already.

2: I'd make sure Enter isn't assigned to something accidentally in Mumble, such as Mute Self.  It's possible the way it implements it is to mute the recording volume.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Tompig

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:53 »

Drivers are definatly up to date, installed a new card about a week ago, so made sure everything was as up-to-date as it could be.

The issue isnt with mumble but with Realtek HD Audio manager, when I start the .bat or .exe it mutes my recording volume, it also has the same effect when starting a new game.

(My PC is mainly built for gaming, and im constantly on mumble, the reason I was so confused by this is I have never come across this problem at all, it seems completely random to me.)

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 14:49 »

Hmm new video card, eh? That's probably the cause of the issue. Seems like it's drivers are a little bugged.

Does your sound mute when you press enter at ANY time, or just at the start screen?

Tompig

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 14:52 »

Only start screen and game start (after the intro text)

Any other way of making CMD full screen other than alt-enter?

It's just my eye-sight isnt that great, and would be nice if I would play in a larger window ^_^.

*P.s. thanks for all the views and replies so far*

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 16:05 »

You could tweak around with the font size directly for the batch file that launches DoomRL -- this can make the text much bigger too without having to go into full screen mode.
I computed, therefore I was.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 16:07 »

In case that matters, I've also experienced the second problem. Not sure if it has something to do with DoomRL, but my input sound level sometimes is set to zero, while normally I don't touch it at all. Output level is untouched, so it's quite hard to track it unless you use microphone regularly.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Tompig

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 16:19 »

You could tweak around with the font size directly for the batch file that launches DoomRL -- this can make the text much bigger too without having to go into full screen mode.

How would I go about doing that? Sounds like it could help out a lot ^_^

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 16:37 »

How would I go about doing that? Sounds like it could help out a lot ^_^
Launch DoomRL, then rightclick the title bar of the console window and press "Properties". In the new window that pops up, go to "Font type" tab. Here you can select a different raster font type to be used, and set it's size.
On my laptop (which has a huge screen resolution) I set it to 10x18... it's a lot easier on the eyes that way.

But hey, if it's still not large enough or you really wanna go fullscreen... just wait for the next version which will be coming soon. It'll have a graphical mode. :D

Tompig

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 17:02 »

Yay the bigger font makes it much better! And as an added bonus, I can also watch my audio sliders and change them whenever they decide to go all sneaky like and wander off :D
Pages: [1]