Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 13:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some kind of cruise mode or something  (Read 3857 times)

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Some kind of cruise mode or something
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:47 »

No ideas how to name it, but, there is a thing in current Doom RL that should be somehow countered.

The thing is that I like to just hold down the arrow key and blaze trough the level at lightning speeds. The problem is, due to me moving at exessively high speed(I mean realtime) I can bump in a room with monsters and fail to react and stop in time, resulting in continuing moving forward and taking a few hits. I am also a fan of not using portable medkits til very, very dire need, and therefore often run around with less than 30 hp, so taking those few hits can end up being fatal. Of course, I could just not run around like crazy in first place, but that's boring.

What solution I am suggesting? Well, normally, you just can't hold the movement keys. The game won't do anything, it will require you to move space by space, space by space. But then, you can enter some mode where you can hold the arrows and run around like crazy. But, if a monster is spotted, or you're being attacked, or something else bad happens, the mode is automatically exited, and you stop, instead of continuing running and taking hits from monsters.

Well, at least something like that.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Some kind of cruise mode or something
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:03 »

Something like that is already in place - press "," and then a direction key and the doomguy will run in that direction, stopping when hitting walls, doors, stepping on an item or if a monster appears. You can also you "." (the wait command) for "direction" which results in you waiting until a monster appears.

It's highly recommended to use this and never just hold direction keys.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:04 »

Well, there's already a running feature (comma key) that lets you go in a straight line until you hit a wall or encounter something interesting, though I suppose that's not exactly what you're looking for. Also, version 0.9.9.6 (due out shortly) will have the option of mouse control, for a similar effect.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:05 »

All he's asking for (I think) is somethng to counteract just accidentally holding down the arrow keys.

Some kind of lock out if you hold the button down for maybe a second or something...

Orbiplanax

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:48 »

If I recall correctly, there is a standard windows option for that. You can change the time you need to hold down the key until it starts clicking rapidly.

Just go Control Panel or System Control, then Keyboard Properties and there you find the setting "Repeat Delay". There is also the "Repeat Rate" property, determining how fast the clicking is by holding down the key.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:57 »

The best solution is simply learn to _never, never_ hold down the keys. Patience and calmness is the best part of valor in roguelikes generally.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30 »

Something like that is already in place - press "," and then a direction key and the doomguy will run in that direction, stopping when hitting walls, doors, stepping on an item or if a monster appears. You can also you "." (the wait command) for "direction" which results in you waiting until a monster appears.
...doh.
That might do, thanks.
Also, version 0.9.9.6 (due out shortly) will have the option of mouse control, for a similar effect.
That can be a help too.
Some kind of lock out if you hold the button down for maybe a second or something...
No. A second is too much while values that are "enough" basically allow you to move 2-3 squares, quite defeating the point.
The best solution is simply learn to _never, never_ hold down the keys. Patience and calmness is the best part of valor in roguelikes generally.
The problem is, that the previous roguelike I used to play quite lockdowned me every time I see something SOMEWHAT dangerous(even if that's a pool of lava), so I could run around like crazy knowing that until it stops me everything is more than fine.
Not to mention that even while moving around carefully I sometimes can't notice enemies because they blend in. Perhaps, write in the prompt something likes "you spot an imp"?
BTW, while we are on keyboardly stuff, can I request moving move controls to keypad? It's a bit easier to manage the diagonal movement with it than with home/end/pgup/pgdn.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:32 by HexaDoken »
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:42 »

The problem is, that the previous roguelike I used to play quite lockdowned me every time I see something SOMEWHAT dangerous(even if that's a pool of lava), so I could run around like crazy knowing that until it stops me everything is more than fine.
Not to mention that even while moving around carefully I sometimes can't notice enemies because they blend in. Perhaps, write in the prompt something likes "you spot an imp"?
BTW, while we are on keyboardly stuff, can I request moving move controls to keypad? It's a bit easier to manage the diagonal movement with it than with home/end/pgup/pgdn.
Yeah, i had similar problems when coming to DoomRL from Dungeon Crawl. The autoexplore, travel patches and the like can make DoomRL feel like a chore - but you simply have to get over it.
The stuff blending in can be troublesome too - again, you have to be careful. You can also use the Ctrl+X (I believe - maybe Shift+X) command to examine monsters in sight.
And about numpad - turning NumLock off should help.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 14:19 »

Take numlock off.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.
Pages: [1]