Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 07:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Badge Overhaul Brainstorm  (Read 7262 times)

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Badge Overhaul Brainstorm
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 01:58 »

I like the idea, but it'd be ultra awesome if we could combine the challenges that make sense. It would be fun to try to beat AoMr/AoD or any number of combinations that make sense.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44 »

It occurs to me that we could learn a little something from The Binding of Isaac.

Unlocks occured in The Binding of Isaac in three seperate ways:

- Finding Specific Pieces of Equipment.
- Completing Specific Tasks.
- Beating the Game.

In BOI, each time you completed the game, a new section of the game opened up, along with new items and monsters. Completing specific tasks unlocked extra characters, items, and even starting equipment. BOI does an amazing job of easing the player into the higher difficulties through this method.

I think DoomRL could benefit from this. First time through the game, Autodeath after the Bruiser Brothers. Unlocks AoMR, AoSG, playable up to Bruiser Brothers. Standard game expands up to Cyberdemon fight. Etc. Put the standard and challenge game breaks in where the old Doom I episodes would go. Restrict more advanced equipment and more dangerous monsters until later episodes, and the more of the game that gets completed, adjust spawning rates.

I know this community has been playing the game forever, but the rest of the gaming community finds the learning curve pretty brutal. Easing the players into the full three episode game will make it more accessable.

Just my $.02.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33 »

Here's a trick: Some of us, particularly casual players that don't spend their time hunting new badges, don't actually earn them quickly. In order to keep our progress when a new version comes out, we just move over our player.wad and hope the game doesn't break. This is the first version that I haven't ported my old stats over, and I'm already annoyed that I can't dick around with the Angel runs (Nothing gets your head around the new stuff faster than being thrown into the deep end of Ao100, says I).

Changing the entire system, and then adding unlockables that are dependent on being earning particular badges, forces people to start over AND punishes us for not being all about the badges. At least now the unlocks are Angel runs, which are challenges instead strictly being rewards. But adding special stuff that you can only get by being badge-hunter is kind of a snub at anyone that doesn't obsessively adhere to earning new conducts/badges/whatever.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???
Pages: 1 [2]  All