Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|Win] YAVP - First win with new version  (Read 5475 times)

Fortunato

• Private FC
    • View Profile
[M|Win] YAVP - First win with new version
« on: December 12, 2006, 18:06 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.8.5) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Henry, level 9 Former Human Corporal, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 128018 turns and scored 48282 points.
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 332 out of 350 hellspawn. (95%)
 He held his right to remain violent.

He found the Phobos Arena.
 He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
 He fought on Hell's Arena.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 69/70   Experience 30279/9
  ToHit +6  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman        (Level 2)
    Hellrunner     (Level 1)
    Reloader       (Level 1)
    Eagle Eye      (Level 2)
    Intuition      (Level 3)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [.b] [ Weapon     ]   BFG 9000 (8d8) [60/100]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [8/8] (54%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   rocket launcher (4d4) [0/1]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] blue armor [0/2] (3%)
    [b.] extended chaingun (1d6)x5 [75/75]
    [c] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [d] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [e] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [f] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [g] 10mm ammo (x23)
    [h] rocket (x10)
    [i.] power cell (x24)
    [j] phase device
    [k] large med-pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

27 former humans
    37 former sergeants
    15 former captains
    24 imps
    53 demons
    25 lost souls
    16 cacodemons
    8 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    14 hell knights
    27 arachnotrons
    11 former commandos
    6 pain elementals
    7 arch-viles

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
 On level 2 he battled through the complex.
 Afterwards he fought on Hell's Arena.
 On level 3 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 4 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 5 he battled through the complex.
 On level 6 he battled through the complex.
 On level 7 he found hellish caves.
 On level 8 he found hellish caves.
 On level 9 he battled through the complex.
 On level 10 he found a hellish city.
 On level 11 he battled through the complex.
 On level 12 he battled through the complex.
 On level 13 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 14 he found a hellish city.
 He then ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
 On level 15 he battled through the complex.
 On level 16 he found hellish caves.
 On level 17 he found hellish caves.
 On level 18 he found a hellish city.
 On level 19 he battled through the complex.
 On level 20 he battled through the complex.
 On level 21 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 22 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 23 he battled through the complex.
 On level 24 he found hellish caves.
 Then at last he found the Phobos Arena.
 There he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 7 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 6 of those were killed.
 1 of those was killed by something unknown.

This is my first win in Doom RL 0.9.8.5, though I had once won in the previous version by sacrificing myself for the good of mankind. Because someone suggested (half-seriously I'm sure ;)) that nuking oneself is the work of cowards, well I sought to prove him wrong!

I was somewhat lucky to survive the last fight, as both my sets of armour were utterly destroyed after the preceding encounters, particularly with arachnotrons on level 24. Believe it or not, in the latter, I actually retreated in a safe spot and waited until all the dozen or so remaining arachnotrons had killed themselves by walking on lava! Here's a strategy for emergencies...

I can't begin to stress the usefulness of the three levels of Intuition I took. These traits are probably the main reason for my victory. Knowing where that precious globe of invulnerability is, avoiding blowing it up accidentally and picking it up to slaughter the hordes of arachnotrons around you is the difference between life and death. Using Intuition, I threw half a dozen rockets at the Cyberdemon before he could even reach me, then I overloaded my plasma gun, and finished him with the wonderful BFG (which, for once, I did not blow up in the Halls of Carnage). Rockets hurt the beast a lot.

I guess it's time for a Challenge game, isn't it? What do you recommend for a start: AoB or AoM?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 19:33 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
Re: YAVP - First win with new version
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 01:34 »

Using Int3 makes the game quite boring ;) But it's not as easy as it seems (or it's just Ultra-Violence that is hard for me ;) ). I beated Cybie 3 times in ranged combat and never used Intuition at all (BFG was sufficient with its knockback and my Cateye2).

Anyway, AoM will be easier on upper levels and then will turn difficult, which is quite opposite to AoB challenge. It's hard to survive early, but as soon as you'll find certain undoomish (;) ) weapon, the game is actually finished.

BTW: You can use [ mortem ] tag for your mortem to display in coloured version ;)
...and now go, tiny mortal!

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:36 »

I'd also recommend something else than AoM as your first challenge, while the beginning part is pretty easy, winning is pretty hard (only cowards use nukes...). But if you really want to give it a try, you should probably read this thread about AoM, and there's also my recent win mortem on AoM, though it was on beta 2 (those who have golden names can get their hands on it *wink*)

But really, you should probably try something else before AoM, like AoB.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 07:23 »

(only cowards use nukes...).
Thank you! I always have known that playing AoM on UV difficulty is cowardness. I just had no chance to kill Cybie with pistols, because i wrongly picked perks that time. (I know i'm making excuses, but it's true!))
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 13:09 »

(only cowards use nukes...).
Thank you! I always have known that playing AoM on UV difficulty is cowardness. I just had no chance to kill Cybie with pistols, because i wrongly picked perks that time. (I know i'm making excuses, but it's true!))

This wasn't aimed at you in any way. I was referring to the original post:
This is my first win in Doom RL 0.9.8.5, though I had once won in the previous version by sacrificing myself for the good of mankind. Because someone suggested (half-seriously I'm sure ;)) that nuking oneself is the work of cowards, well I sought to prove him wrong!

I have nothing against your UV AoM win, you're still the only one to have beaten AoM at all on 0.9.8.5, and got a full win the only way it's possible on AoM (yeah, well I haven't actually fought the final boss, but I'm pretty sure you can't kill him with pistols).

Fortunato

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 17:37 »

Good God! I have tried AoB, and it took about 6 or 7 games to reach the Chained Court; even then, I lost on level 9, shot by an unseen monster as I was beating up an imp (Don't you hate it when that happens?). This mode is bloody hard! Even with the chainsaw, demons make remarkably hard foes in melee, and sergeants remain an ever-present threat. I picked Brute three times in a row. Some people suggest picking Tough as Nails after 1 level of Brute. Is this what you would recommend as well?

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 05:09 »

Good God! I have tried AoB, and it took about 6 or 7 games to reach the Chained Court; even then, I lost on level 9, shot by an unseen monster as I was beating up an imp (Don't you hate it when that happens?). This mode is bloody hard! Even with the chainsaw, demons make remarkably hard foes in melee, and sergeants remain an ever-present threat. I picked Brute three times in a row. Some people suggest picking Tough as Nails after 1 level of Brute. Is this what you would recommend as well?

Truth is, AoB is actually easier than normal game, at least for me. My best results have been on AoB both dying to an unknown bug that closed my game unexpectedly without even auto-saving my progress, but both times in level 22+, which is more than my level 17 record in normal game :).

Getting to the Chained Court is VERY difficult, but once you have the Chainsaw, everything should be much easier... and when you have the Spoily One, you'll be next to invincible.

I'll give you some advice that was given to me by someone in the IRC (to the one that helped me: I'm really sorry, but I can't remember your name right now! But thank you very much!). My advice is to use the large medpacks at the right time to get the berserker bonus, and to move in coward towards the monsters making a zig-zag pattern in order to maximize dodging. Also, the trait order he told me to do (and it was an effective one, at least when I used it) was:

Brute->Brute->Berserker->Tan->Berserker->Tan->etc.

Keep in mind that being berserk adds a bonus to damage reduction (or so I was told, and I think he's right).
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Fortunato

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 07:33 »

Adral, you're right. I've tried AoB again, this time with better traits and proper use of tactics, and it's quite easy once you get the chainsaw. In fact, I've never felt this powerful in a game of Doom RL! Even those ever-annoying cacodemons fall in two or three blows to my mighty chainsaw. The trick, of course, is reaching them quickly. This is why I was considering to pick Hellrunner; or is Berserker a better choice (Until now, I have TaN 2 and Brute 2)?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 07:35 by Fortunato »

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 09:23 »

Truth is, AoB is actually easier than normal game, at least for me. My best results have been on AoB both dying to an unknown bug that closed my game unexpectedly without even auto-saving my progress, but both times in level 22+, which is more than my level 17 record in normal game :).

What level of difficulty are you talking about? After easy winning on Medium, I lost numerous dozens of characters trying to get to Chained Court on higher levels. It's extremely difficult on Hard and I didn't even try it on Ultra-Violence. It's very unbalanced mode for now, because meeting demon before CC often equals death and it shouldn't so. If just knife was better (and somehow guaranteed)... or if you could survive without Brute as the first trait (TaN or Hellrunner would help).

Quote from: Adral
Also, the trait order he told me to do (and it was an effective one, at least when I used it) was:

Brute->Brute->Berserker->Tan->Berserker->Tan->etc.

What about IM? Do you take it when you get to 'etc.'? ;)
Is Berseker that useful? I was quite disappointed when I took it. Shouldn't it be boosted a bit (percentage)?

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 09:46 »

What level of difficulty are you talking about? After easy winning on Medium, I lost numerous dozens of characters trying to get to Chained Court on higher levels. It's extremely difficult on Hard and I didn't even try it on Ultra-Violence. It's very unbalanced mode for now, because meeting demon before CC often equals death and it shouldn't so. If just knife was better (and somehow guaranteed)... or if you could survive without Brute as the first trait (TaN or Hellrunner would help).

Well, I guess I should have specified I only have played on Medium so far, so I don't really know if it is impossible on higher difficulty levels ;)

What about IM? Do you take it when you get to 'etc.'? ;)
Is Berseker that useful? I was quite disappointed when I took it. Shouldn't it be boosted a bit (percentage)?

Last time I did this, I only picked up TaN and Berserker, but I guess IM makes sense too, as well a level on Hellrunner (that perhaps should be buffed a bit too, but that is another discussion). I guess it really depends on your play style and your items so far. Note that I haven't won the game even a single time, so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask about these things :P

As you say, Berserker perhaps should be upped a bit on percentage, because to really notice it you must spend 2/3 levels (4% is a really slim chance). However, when surrounded by (weak) monsters, like in the Unholy Cathedral, it is almost guaranteed to get a berserk stance.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 11:38 »

Berserk perk is a great fun(but only if maxed) perk. I just managed to survive this only by berserk and LS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 11:57 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What difficulty level it was? I dared to enter Mortuary just once in AoB game... and I missed entrances (in berserk mode all staircases are red ;) ).

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 12:16 »

It was Light Travel challenge on UV. I bored to press "space" 20 or more times, when enemies were firing, only to make one step and then start pressing "space" 20 times again.
Pages: [1]