Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DoomRL on different languages  (Read 32673 times)

you

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Sergeant
  • I am You!
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL on different languages
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 05:56 »

А сейчас все те, кто не имеет доступа к репозиторию быстро, решительно взяли и замолкли касательно технической части. Большая часть событий генерится луа-скриптами (в том числе и мортем и база данных с монстрами), адаптировать под падежи не так уж и сложно.

BTW this thread was occupied by Red Army Special Forces.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 06:06 »

No kidding... could you maybe post some summary in english so the rest of us knows what is going on? =)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 06:12 »

We're discussing problems of declension in Russian (as well as any Slavic) language and how to implement it.
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 06:20 »

We're discussing problems of declension in Russian (as well as any Slavic) language and how to implement it.
Well, the Czechs of us face the similar, if not worse, problem. Perhaps you may share your results with us? I can read Azbuka, but I certainly am not able to reply :).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Midnight

• Badge Hunter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 06:32 »

Если адаптировать код таки не получится то всегда можно попробовать переделать предложения так, чтобы использовался только один падеж. Правда, понадобится фантазия.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 06:53 »

Perhaps you may share your results with us? I can read Azbuka, but I certainly am not able to reply :).
Three suggestions.
1) Grab the repo and redo it specifically for the Russian language. We have people who are able to do it. The problem is that it will be tedious to keep the localization up to date with the mainstream versions of Doom RL.
2) Try to translate the way where declension stops being an issue. The problem is that success of this plan is doubtable, will require a fair part of imagination al well.
3) Deal with it. This will work for sure, but the problem is that it sucks.

Вобщем, адаптировать то код получится полюбасу, заставим получится... но вот запихивать всю эту падежную фигню в основной релиз туповато получается, а пилить новую "Русскую" версию каждый раз как выходит оффициальная муторно. Конечно гораздо меньше работы будет чем в первый раз но муторно.
Фантазию попробовать применить таки можно, но не факт что получится. Порой, фантазии мало. Да и не у всех она есть. Но попробовать таки можно.
Можно конечно сделать и "был убит потерянный душа". Но это уже на крайняк.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 07:36 »

Three suggestions.
1) Grab the repo and redo it specifically for the Russian language. We have people who are able to do it. The problem is that it will be tedious to keep the localization up to date with the mainstream versions of Doom RL.
2) Try to translate the way where declension stops being an issue. The problem is that success of this plan is doubtable, will require a fair part of imagination al well.
3) Deal with it. This will work for sure, but the problem is that it sucks.

1) is definitely the way I would personally like to go. There will be quite an effort in the beginning - but I don't believe there will be too much text to change between the versions (and the devs will certainly let us know in the changelog).
And of course, we would have to be able to change the repo to each and every particular language. Given the fact that Czech is the language with second toughest grammar structure in the world (at least that's what I heard), this would really be Tough As Nails.
Last but not least - this would require some serious programming skills to see how the messages are constructed at first, then creating the grammar structure and then applying it into the game.
Last but very first - DoomRL is closed-source so far. I believe that a translation squad would be given access to some portion of needed source code - but ingame testing would probably be a completely different issue.

2) At some point better than at the others:
"Here lies: a medkit" and "The sergeant uses: a medkit" sounds certainly not that awkward. But let's say:
"You attached: a power mod to: a pistol" (not a real game example, but usable for this consideration) would be way tougher without going the 1) way.

3) Always an option. But the goal of attracting non-English-speaking players to DoomRL would then be rather screwed.

All in all, I can barely offer any other suggestion than to create a dictionary for each language, with all the declension needed, and a list of the "on the fly" generated messages. Most difficult to start, I believe, but also the easiest to keep up with further versions.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 08:01 »

Given the fact that Czech is the language with second toughest grammar structure in the world (at least that's what I heard), this would really be Tough As Nails.

Good thing I'm a Badass when it comes to this. I love to play with language, and I'm actually doing it for a living this month.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 09:39 »

I can help with simplified Mandarin if need be.

Though I'm wondering if most of our Chinese visitors are mostly spammers or actually interested in playing DoomRL.  >.<
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 09:57 »

Don't be beech...
Be Russian!
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45 »

Well, Dutch has its problems as well, but from a purely technical standpoint, I think a regular string substitution would work well enough.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 17:42 »

Well, Dutch has its problems as well, but from a purely technical standpoint, I think a regular string substitution would work well enough.
You have the Dragonslayer gefounden!
\o/
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

ckopo

• Private FC
  • Sir Ckopo Robocat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 18:32 »

А сейчас все те, кто не имеет доступа к репозиторию быстро, решительно взяли и замолкли касательно технической части. Большая часть событий генерится луа-скриптами (в том числе и мортем и база данных с монстрами), адаптировать под падежи не так уж и сложно.

Хо-хо-хо. Ну ладно.
Раз с падежами проблем не предвидится... Пойду поперевожу. с:
"This life is just a game with bad gameplay and godlike graphics" - an unknown Russian DooMer
DoomRL Russian Translation?!

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 02:40 »

Finnish would be difficult as well, but I have a feeling that most of the Finnish who are interested in playing DoomRL would prefer playing it in English anyway.
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

Benkyo

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27 »

I can translate into Japanese. Got the free time and the motivation, and knowing the Japanese gaming community as I do it's a translation they really need! How can I get started?
[21|15|7|0|0]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5