Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 13:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some mostly cosmetic suggestions.  (Read 5096 times)

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Some mostly cosmetic suggestions.
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:34 »

Me again. I decided to put everything in one topic instead of spamming them.

First of all. I am almost sure this has been mentioned before, but I am still asking for it.

SAVES AT ANY TIME OF THE LEVEL

No, seriously. Losing an almost ideal game just because I had to quickly shutdown computer in the start of the level and therefore commiting suicide is not fun. At all.

2) With the graphics version being released(which, btw, is awesome), most of problems with mistaking cacodemons, berserks and large medpacks with blood got fixed right. But a new problem arised - the automap. In general, I can't see things on it. On the other hand, making it larger/less translucent can make it obscurive, so, a button should be made that turns on/off map mode, which shows an automap on the full screen size. I would suggest TAB as map button and moving run button to SHIFT, because, well, thats how it is done in original game. But where it will be isn't that important. Of course, the map mode won't apply to the console version because the whole version is in "perma-map" mode.

3) Can HUD show the spare ammo left for the currently wielded weapon? Because, I don't really like if I have to hit "I" to check it.

4) Can there be a "use from the floor" button? So, if you find something you could use right away, and your inventory happens to be full, you could just run over that thing and press a single button instead of dropping something, picking that thing up, using it, moving to one of the adjacent squares and pick back the thing you dropped. That's QUITE tedious. If you'd use that on a weapon/armor, you wield it, if on a consumable, you use it, if on a mod pack, you modify whatever you can.

5) For the same reason, can ammo chains/shell boxes be wieldable? So, if you want to place something else in prepared slot, you don't have to unprepare the chain/box, swap, select the weapon you want and then, in case your inventory was full again, picking chain/box again, but you could just swap the weapon with the chain/box and select the weapon of your choice. Of course, if you try to fire/reload the chain/box, it won't do anything.(altho would be fun if you could take a bullet from the chain and throw it in the nearest monster for lulz)

6) I don't seem to be able to scrap chainsaw with technican's scavenger perk. Am I doing something wrong or that's supposed to be?

7) While that's more of a bug, I'm still writing it here. Stats say I've encountered five bullet proof vests, but I am sure I've seen only one.

Also, "Hellknight uses a phase device and blinks away!"
...WEYTWUT
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
Re: Some mostly cosmetic suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06 »

I can only answer 6 and your last surprise.
Scavenger allows you to only scavenge mods from ranged weapons that are modded, assembled, exotic or unique. I wouldn't see any harm in allowing the Chainsaw and Cleaver to be scrapped, but that's up to the God Hand.
And yes, formers and hell nobles use packs. Not only do they find them, they find all of the large medpacks and homing phases before you do, and always pick up useful armours (bulletproof vest early-game in particular) before you do.
Always.
Use power for power.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:19 »

Ah. Ok then.

About hellnobles, I just... can't imagine him picking up a phase device and succesfully using it(in my opinion, phase device usage must be complicated, not just "hit a button and get yanked away"). Neither I can imagine armor fitting on his oversized body.

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:19 »

5) use E-D to unprepare, then E-D-letter for whatever you want prepared, G to get the box from ground.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:51 »

Still too much letters for me. Six instead of possible three. I am not a quick-presser.

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:58 »

For 5) are you talking about swapping the ammo box/can/battery for a weapon in your inventory?
If so, you can just highlight the prepared slot, press tab and then select the weapon.
Use power for power.

Gamer-man

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:43 »

2.  i like tab for brining up a map like doom had, but shift can't be tactics, as you need it for capital letters

aoanla

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 14:54 »

Definitely another vote for a full-screen map, or some other way to make the map overlay useful (I need to squint at it to see anything on it at the moment, as the transparency is a little too high). Perhaps just a button to toggle opacity on the overlay?

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 14:29 »

I really don't think the save anywhere thing will ever happen. The way saving works now (as far as I can tell without source) is it saves only the character's data and what level they are entering, when you load it then generates the new level. Changing this would require a complete rewrite of the saving code resulting in a whole new anthill of game breaking bugs.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 14:55 »

Scavenger allows you to only scavenge mods from ranged weapons that are modded, assembled, exotic or unique. I wouldn't see any harm in allowing the Chainsaw and Cleaver to be scrapped, but that's up to the God Hand.
This really has more to do with the way that Scavenger is activated: in order to scavenge a part, you have to unload an empty weapon. Melee weapons and armor don't have an unloading function whatsoever, so they can't be part of that list. IMO, Scavenger needs a rework anyway.

3) Can HUD show the spare ammo left for the currently wielded weapon? Because, I don't really like if I have to hit "I" to check it.
You mean all of the ammo in your inventory? Not really sure where this would go: there's already cases where the name doesn't entirely fit on HUD, and adding extra information would only make that worse.

4) Can there be a "use from the floor" button?
I like this, but let's not add a whole other button for it. The best chance of making this work would be to simply take the 'u'se button and allow it to work with all items: if it's consumable, then you consume it from the floor; similar stuff for equippables (replace with current equipped item) and mods (mod immediately). Items that merely sit in your inventory (ammo, etc) would still have to go through some tedium, but I can certainly see the former case being more of an issue during a battle and is therefore somewhat important to implement.

5) For the same reason, can ammo chains/shell boxes be wieldable?
From the equipment screen, select the prepared slot and press TAB to swap. This should be fast enough. (This is, by the way, written at the very bottom of the equipment screen, and there are a couple other functions that work from it as well.)

Kornel said he was going to try implementing "save anywhere" for the next release. We'll see how it works out.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:46 »

I like this, but let's not add a whole other button for it. The best chance of making this work would be to simply take the 'u'se button and allow it to work with all items: if it's consumable, then you consume it from the floor; similar stuff for equippables (replace with current equipped item) and mods (mod immediately). Items that merely sit in your inventory (ammo, etc) would still have to go through some tedium, but I can certainly see the former case being more of an issue during a battle and is therefore somewhat important to implement.
If the behavior of 'u'se is going to change without adding another command, it would be nice to have a config file option that could set 'u'se to floor only. Long ago when I was still pressing 'u' to use medpacks, I got screwed one time because I forgot I was standing on a lever. From that moment on I never press 'u' unless I want to interact with the floor.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 05:23 »

This really has more to do with the way that Scavenger is activated: in order to scavenge a part, you have to unload an empty weapon. Melee weapons and armor don't have an unloading function whatsoever, so they can't be part of that list. IMO, Scavenger needs a rework anyway.
On the other hand, nucclear BFG/plasmarifle can't be unloaded, but can be scrapped.
You mean all of the ammo in your inventory? Not really sure where this would go: there's already cases where the name doesn't entirely fit on HUD, and adding extra information would only make that worse.
No. Just the number of spare ammo left for the weapon that is currently wielded. If you wield chaingun, it shows bullets in backpack, if you wield rocket launcher, it shows you number of rockets in backpack.
Also, if you use a chain/box, instead of showing number of ammo left in backpack it shows you number of ammo left in the chain/box.
I really don't think the save anywhere thing will ever happen. The way saving works now (as far as I can tell without source) is it saves only the character's data and what level they are entering, when you load it then generates the new level. Changing this would require a complete rewrite of the saving code resulting in a whole new anthill of game breaking bugs.
Ohhh.
Well, I personally don't see a reason why it should result in bugs. Saving the whole level is easy, actually. Adding to the player stats(which we already have), you will have to write what is located within each square of the map. Then, if what is located there requires some additional stats(monster health, what he got in inventory, etc.), write em down too. This shouldn't result in bugs at all, of course, if you actually know what you're doing. And since the game which we got is MOSTLY bug-free(I haven't encountered any myself, actually), I am sure that Kornel knows what he is doing pretty well.
Altho, I must agree, that the whole thing is goddamn tedious. It can also bump the save/load time a bit, but that will probably be unnoticable unless your computer is from stone age. So, I don't see why it shouldn't happen.
Pages: [1]