Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 03:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bad habits  (Read 18583 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Bad habits
« on: March 07, 2012, 13:33 »

Getting better at DoomRL is often simply a matter of kicking some bad gameplay habits and learning the good ones. There is bunch of stuff I know I'm doing wrong, but for some reason can't manage to stop doing.

There may be some other that I'm not even aware of, so if you post yours here, it can potentially help all of us.

Ok, here I mine:

I don't read level feelings. Ever. Sometimes I realize it and try to find it in the message list just after it's too late =)
I don't use running as much as I could. Even when I need to run for a healing globe, I tend to save running for... no idea what.
I forget to use the rocket launcher (even though I always carry one with 10-20 ammo) to make things easier for myself. I often even run through lava rather than blow a hole in a wall a go through there instead.
I still use the U key to use medkits and stuff, even though it already led to YASD when I was standing on a lever.

There's probably more, but these are a few from the top of my head. So what about you?
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Sirdec

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Bad habits
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 14:03 »

Not using a medpack this turn cause it's unlikely i die (but possible). 20 HP 2 Armor and 25% Fire resist against cybby mortally wounded, well it's unlikely his rocket kills me... And i have a full clip with Sharpshooter to finish him.... = YASD

Allways going for 100% kills cause its cool.

Reloading the chaingun after every former kill (and getting shot by his friend that came out of the dark)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 14:08 by Sirdec »
Roguelikes beaten
DoomRL : a lot of wins, best one AoMr UV 100%
DCSS : 10 runer MdFi
AliensRL

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 18:41 »

Reloading the chaingun after every former kill (and getting shot by his friend that came out of the dark)

Holy crap...this so much.

For me, it would just be not dodging. I know I can, but I just stand there and take hits...so stupid...

Also not moving to pump the Combat Shotty, but just using R.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 19:19 »

I don't read level feelings. Ever. Sometimes I realize it and try to find it in the message list just after it's too late =)
I don't use running as much as I could. Even when I need to run for a healing globe, I tend to save running for... no idea what.
I forget to use the rocket launcher (even though I always carry one with 10-20 ammo) to make things easier for myself. I often even run through lava rather than blow a hole in a wall a go through there instead.
I succumb to these a lot, but I usually blow up walls before walking through lava unless it's just like 1 tile.

Damn right it's cool.  More like awesome habit.

I usually pop behind cover before reloading, but I still do this sometimes.

For me, it would just be not dodging. I know I can, but I just stand there and take hits...so stupid...
I used to suffer from this.  It's not that big of an issue now that I avoid firefights and hide around corners and fight in melee.  I do make sure I zigzag a bit when I'm retreating or charging in, but on the rare occasion that I'm in a real shootout it just doesn't seem worth the trouble since they'll often just shoot at me again after I dodge the first time.  Plus it can be kind of frustrating when the speeds are slightly different and I don't know whether it's safe to shoot - so I just shoot anyways.

Also not moving to pump the Combat Shotty, but just using R.
Well, this depends a lot on the situation.  For corner shooting, mashing R is the only good choice, and if you're fairly sure you can kill something in one more hit, it might be better to just manually pump and shoot in a very short time rather than risk getting shot at even with a dodge move.  My big issue with this lately, is that I upgrade to the tactical shotgun and forget that I don't have to pump anymore, so I waste time reloading between shots.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:09 »

It is not merely "cool", it is the imperative requirement. Anything lower than that is a disgrace to Doomguy in my view.
And maybe thats the reason I don't play N! and very rarely touch AoP.

As for bad habits:
- "it is only a mere former human, I won't run or hide or snipe or waste time shotting outside FoV"; (10 formers later I miss half of my HP and/or armor)
- "those are just lowly Lost Souls/Pain Elemental"; (habit from previous versions)
- "I will spare this (enter consumable) for later time"; (luckily happens rarely now)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:10 by skarczew »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:35 »

- "I will spare this (enter consumable) for later time"; (luckily happens rarely now)

On the other hand, I tend to pick up health globes as soon as I see them, even if I'm on 100% health and the level is still full of enemies that are sure to damage me.

The one about chainguns - yeah... I treat them like a shotgun when it comes to reloading. And then once in a while I realize how stupid I am which sometimes leads to YASD after firing with only one bullet chambered.

bardysya

• Lance Corporal
  • Kill the darkness, and shadows will disappear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:43 »

Rarely using run command... Almost running by arrows and then got killed.
Very impatient, never used to wait the enemy, just going out of the corner and then got damaged or killed.
Very "economic". Don't use mod pack without making assemblies. That's leads me to drop them in order to pick up med packs.
0.9.9.3 Cyberdemon Warrant Officer 12/6/6/0/0
0.9.9.5 Cacodemon 1st Leutenant Md-14, Sp-54, As-28, B-21, S-15, G-10, P-1, D-0

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00 »

These. Very much these.
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43 »

BTW, I've found Angel of Pacifism to be a good way to learn to run. I know I've been much better in this aspect for some time after I beat it, though it's been going downhill since then. I should play a couple of pacifist runs to get back in shape.

Another bad habit: Stepping into lava/acid when it can be easily avoided, especially when the level is already cleared and I'm just picking up sutff.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52 »

Another bad habit: Stepping into lava/acid when it can be easily avoided, especially when the level is already cleared and I'm just picking up sutff.
One time I was doing Ao100 and I had the enviroboots sitting in my inventory after clearing a cacodemon cave.  Stepped in lava and died.

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46 »

A few of my bad habits:

-waiting for enemies to get too close when I have a shotty
-using up all my power cells with a plasma rifle instead of saving some for bfg
-being too lazy to line up more than one enemy for my rapid-fire gun or dual pistols
-blowing up the backpack and missile launcher -_-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:02 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 12:20 »

Picking up armor shards to refill 1 durability point of my worn armour when I have an exotic armour that's on its last legs in my backpack.
Use power for power.

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 14:47 »

Hammering "Pagedn" then "g" without looking, to grab those enviroboots on AoMC... I mean, it's not like that's going to ever give some hidden Former Commando two free volleys at me.... right?
WRONG
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 15:41 »

Oh, here's more of a funny habit rather than a bad one...

When getting a beserk/invuln - believing that if I press the keys faster, it will last longer!

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 23:49 »

I always, always have to 100% a level. I don't even pay attention to the stairs until the floor name is blue.
It takes a great effort of will to knowingly skip a special level that isn't Unholy Cathedral or (occasionally) the Mortuary. City of Skulls is hard, even with MGK...
I'm always carrying either way too much primary ammo (higher difficulties) or way too much health (E/M).
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: [1] 2 3 4