Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 04:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bad habits  (Read 18689 times)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Bad habits
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 08:55 »

Accidentally going down the white stairs instead of the red.

I'm very prone to this when berserked/invincible :(

Sirdec

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 13:15 »

I manage to do it even after double checking which stairs lead where... lol

Dicking around as a survivalist at 48% health P-Modded Red Armor on AoHu trying to dodge a cacodemon... Only as the mortem shows up you realise how little health this actually was.
Roguelikes beaten
DoomRL : a lot of wins, best one AoMr UV 100%
DCSS : 10 runer MdFi
AliensRL

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 13:20 »

Ok.. I have a new one and it's kinda weird:

Running diagonally in hell's arena, bouncing off the pillars, pretending to be arkanoid ball. Yes, that got me killed more than once =)

Edit: Also - leaving the rocket launcher on the arena floor and then being very surprised at the wall. The rocket launcher is hard to see in the graphic version =(

Few days ago, I found a vault with two rocket launchers on phobos 7. I unloaded them, cursed the RNG for giving me two weapons I don't need and then I took on the wall not knowing I have no means to make a hole in it. I got lucky with a phase and cleaned it eventually though.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 13:34 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 17:13 »

Edit: Also - leaving the rocket launcher on the arena floor and then being very surprised at the wall. The rocket launcher is hard to see in the graphic version =(

Few days ago, I found a vault with two rocket launchers on phobos 7. I unloaded them, cursed the RNG for giving me two weapons I don't need and then I took on the wall not knowing I have no means to make a hole in it. I got lucky with a phase and cleaned it eventually though.

Ooh, something I used to be really bad about was dropping the rocket launcher to pick up and use something on the ground (full inventory, plus rocket launcher at the top of my inventory), then forgetting to pick it back up.  Cue entering the wall and ragequitting.  Heck, I remember once I unloaded the rocket launcher because I thought it was a spare, forgetting that I actually just dropped it.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 21:28 »

My biggest one is being too conservative with med-packs.  I've had too many games where I died because I was saving them for when I "really need them."  Also, on a couple of occasions, trying to get to cover before healing, so I'm not exposed for that one second of using the med-pack.  (Especially stupid if I happen to be playing as a Technician, so there's no reason to seek cover)

Another that's killed me a few times is forgetting to load the next shell into the Combat Shotgun while corner-shooting.  Then, when I rapidly tap the arrow keys to aim at the right square, I run right at the enemy instead!  I don't do that any more, though, thanks to a line I discovered in the Config.lua file that makes it prompt you to press enter if you ever try to fire when you can't.  That feature has saved my bacon a few times.

Another irritating thing that's happened a number of times is pushing the I key to bring up the inventory while simultaneously, accidentally pushing the adjacent keys, U or O.  I've wasted too many large med-packs that way.  The previous version had a line in the config.lua file to prevent that, but it seems to be missing from 0.9.9.6.  :(  I just have to be more careful, I guess.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 03:28 »

My biggest one is being too conservative with med-packs.  I've had too many games where I died because I was saving them for when I "really need them."  Also, on a couple of occasions, trying to get to cover before healing, so I'm not exposed for that one second of using the med-pack.  (Especially stupid if I happen to be playing as a Technician, so there's no reason to seek cover)

Another that's killed me a few times is forgetting to load the next shell into the Combat Shotgun while corner-shooting.  Then, when I rapidly tap the arrow keys to aim at the right square, I run right at the enemy instead!  I don't do that any more, though, thanks to a line I discovered in the Config.lua file that makes it prompt you to press enter if you ever try to fire when you can't.  That feature has saved my bacon a few times.

Another irritating thing that's happened a number of times is pushing the I key to bring up the inventory while simultaneously, accidentally pushing the adjacent keys, U or O.  I've wasted too many large med-packs that way.  The previous version had a line in the config.lua file to prevent that, but it seems to be missing from 0.9.9.6.  :(  I just have to be more careful, I guess.
Hoarding medpacks happens regularly to me, luckily it is much better now than before.
As for Inventory, you can change the way the inventory looks like and remove quick-access buttons.

And personally I had to remove the special keys 'M' and 'N' from bindings, as those were eating my medpacks as well.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 03:35 »

I usually use a phase device because of this. I guess my hand has some weird shape =)

On the other hand, I'm to say that I usually die after spending all my medkits these days, except in the alarmingly high number of occasions when I fire a missile launcher into a wall in front of me.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 03:41 »

Bad habit: attempting to clear the four hell barons on UV CC+ before taking out the arena master (without the berserk packs). Corner shooting is possible, but difficult. About half the time an untenable situation occurs.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 04:30 »

Bad habit: attempting to clear the four hell barons on UV CC+ before taking out the arena master
Isn't this the right strategy?I always do it that way because i definitely do not want barons interfering with my fight with AM.
THIS.My friend told me about that option in config and i was saved.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:31 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 04:35 »

I usually hit this with pistols when rapidly mashing F to shoot rounds into a cacodemon or anything else that's right behind a corner, and sometimes I got confused whether I'm in firing mode or not, so I too run into a cacodemon, sometimes even through lava. :C
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 06:46 »

Bad habit: attempting to clear the four hell barons on UV CC+ before taking out the arena master (without the berserk packs). Corner shooting is possible, but difficult. About half the time an untenable situation occurs.
Heh, thats usually my strategy :] .

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 08:15 »

As for Inventory, you can change the way the inventory looks like and remove quick-access buttons.

Is there an option for that in this version?  I didn't see it!  (It must be in a different place than previous versions or something)

Corner shooting is possible, but difficult. About half the time an untenable situation occurs.

Yeah, I hate it when a Baron sneaks up on me from a different direction when I'm trying to corner-shoot his buddies.  ("Great!  Now, what do I do?")
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 08:51 »

Heh, thats usually my strategy :] .

Same here!
Corner shooting is possible, but difficult. About half the time an untenable situation occurs.

For instance, getting sniped by a baron the very instant that you open one of the rear doors, his bolt liquifying both berserk packs.

Yeah, I hate it when a Baron sneaks up on me from a different direction when I'm trying to corner-shoot his buddies.  ("Great!  Now, what do I do?")

Well, just the other day, I tried using a phase device - and it put me right next to the arena master and all his pals.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 09:25 »

Taking care of minions is a must. I have already lost at least once trying to kill Arena Master on berserk, while being surrounded by captains.
The best fun (except for chainsaw) is shotgun here - stalking next to the doors and then blasting Baron into lava is something that feels really, really good =) .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 13:40 by skarczew »

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 11:07 »

Is there an option for that in this version?  I didn't see it!  (It must be in a different place than previous versions or something)

That option (InvMenuStyle) doesn't exist in 0.9.9.6, probably because of the graphics version.  Hopefully that will be fixed.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4