Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: scavenger nearly worthless?  (Read 11458 times)

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: scavenger nearly worthless?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 03:10 »

Once it required EE*2 ...
...and it still does for all but Scout.
Anybody share some insight on how to use scavenger rush build properly?
I play it that way: EE-EE-Int-Int-WK-WK after that i take SoB untill i find some unique weapon and only after that i take MSc itself.
It's pretty easy once you get Int2.Pinkies won't chew you up if you start shooting them shotgun once you see them.Cornershooting ftw.

(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 03:23 »

Pinkies won't chew you up if you start shooting them shotgun once you see them.Cornershooting ftw.

Also it's good to be prepared to slam some door in an emergency.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Cotonou

• Gold Supporter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57 »

I can't see myself ever doing a Scavenger build... the trait locks just really gimp the potential of any character who takes it.  Moreover, I think Scavenger is even *less* useful on Ao100 in 0.9.9.6 compared to 0.9.9.5.  My last run I got 2 nanos, 2 firestorms, 2 onyxs, and a sniper.  If I had taken Scavenger I would have felt pretty stupid.  In addition, many assemblies have been reworked to require fewer rare mods. 

Honestly, the only real use for a "tons more mods" perk is dualgunning pistols when you need twice the mods to for twice the weapons... but with dualgunner explicitly banned this just leaves the trait without a natural build.

Intuition just has to be removed.  In the hands of a skilled player it is total immunity to damage -- fun for badges, bad for the game.  An alternate idea is to reduce it to vision-area only, meaning you can see behind walls but not spot enemies beyond sight range.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:04 by Cotonou »

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04 »

My last run I got 2 nanos, 2 firestorms, 2 onyxs, and a sniper
Lucky you.I usually get none at all, so MSc helps.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 05:08 »

The only way to take full advantage of EE*2 is abusing the minigun/burst cannon, but the character would be very weak until you get there.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 05:16 »

Intuition just has to be removed.  In the hands of a skilled player it is total immunity to damage -- fun for badges, bad for the game.  An alternate idea is to reduce it to vision-area only, meaning you can see behind walls but not spot enemies beyond sight range.
I had fun using it, why do you want to remove it? =(

Berserker needs to be removed as well, because in the hands of a skilled player it means that all of Diamond Badges are going to be completed before the end of Universe.
Dodgemaster as well, because it makes you immune to the bosses like JC and Cybie.

Or maybe just remove all of the traits and lets have fun while painfully grinding the game?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:17 by skarczew »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 05:24 »

Or maybe just remove all of the traits and lets have fun while painfully grinding the game?

Has a challenge that would remove all experience gain, leaving you level 1 (or level 0, without even the first trait?) throughout the game already been suggested in the horrible ideas thread? =)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 12:30 »

Has a challenge that would remove all experience gain, leaving you level 1 (or level 0, without even the first trait?) throughout the game already been suggested in the horrible ideas thread? =)
That actually gives me a really good idea for a new challenge mode. Something like, you don't gain levels and no exotics/uniques/mods(?), but all of the typical equipment is much better than normal, so it probably starts out real easy but keeps getting harder and harder. Kind of more like the original DooM: less character-building and more straight-up carnal tactics. (Granted, removing traits/classes altogether from selection might be a little tricky, and I don't know how desirable it would be to hack something up.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:31 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 12:46 »

That actually gives me a really good idea for a new challenge mode. Something like, you don't gain levels and no exotics/uniques/mods(?), but all of the typical equipment is much better than normal, so it probably starts out real easy but keeps getting harder and harder. Kind of more like the original DooM: less character-building and more straight-up carnal tactics. (Granted, removing traits/classes altogether from selection might be a little tricky, and I don't know how desirable it would be to hack something up.)
Remember to spare chainsaws from the cut exotics :)  And what about artifacts? (mainly concerned with Arena Master staff for its other purpose)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 14:13 »

Maybe you could dispense with the special levels as well, if the point of the challenge is to make it more like Doom. I like it.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 14:48 »

Granted, removing traits/classes altogether from selection might be a little tricky, and I don't know how desirable it would be to hack something up.
For a quick test just set exp gain to 0 and bypass the 1st trait, leave the class thing alone as all you get is the inbuilt bonuses.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 19:51 »

I kindly hacked part of this up for you guys!  You can find it here.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17
Pages: 1 [2]  All