Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Let's take on the Mortuary!  (Read 18933 times)

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
Let's take on the Mortuary!
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:34 »

Right, here we go. Doom RL's most feared level. What are your tips for clearing the Mortuary? Which challenges do you attempt it on?

I just finished my first ever Mortuary clear on HNTR, so I do feel pretty pumped. I had a gameplan, which was to save every single power cell and spend them all there. I had about 7 stacks of 70x cell and 2 bulk modded BFGs, and took 2 skulls from the City of Skulls, and was playing a intuition shottyhead build. Once I spawned, I hit the ground running and shot great balls of plasma at every pink asterisk, particularly if it sounded like a Vile. So I got lucky and managed to wipe out all 4 Viles at the beginning, and the rest was clearing up.

It's a shame that the BFG destroys pretty much all the rewards, though. I was left with 2 armor shards and 2 supercharges, and a nuclear BFG. The rest was all collateral damage.

So, anybody have any stories to share?

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's take on the Mortuary!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 09:49 »

Try it with with a melee build. When I was clearing it for the first time on melee and used my last medkit, I knew that it was worth it even if I die there. It's a great feeling to go through the horde of enemies and killing them up close and personal. To my surprise I didn't die there and reaped the reward, which is so much better if you're meleeing, since angelic armour + longinus spear means 11 protection, which is very nice.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:54 »

Any particular melee build to recommend? I'm thinking probably Blademaster or Vampire for zerk, but maybe there's a better build?

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:02 »

I prefer Vampyre since the marine's longer zerk powerup duration is a nice bonus, though dodgemaster (a requisite of blademaster) probably comes handy in the mortuary and blademaster is very nice in city of skulls.

I don't have much experience with Malicious Blades, since it's a tough build to use on AoB.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 13:28 »

You can clear it with most builds on almost every challenge with some luck, you just need a way to deal with the viles and corpses QUICKLY. Heck I've even walked out of there with the angelic armor, some extra med kits and the nuclear BFG on HNTR AoPc.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Former Lurker

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 13:52 »

Any particular melee build to recommend? I'm thinking probably Blademaster or Vampire for zerk, but maybe there's a better build?

Blademaster on AoLT :)

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 16:26 »

Ammochain on N! AoMs. That was an epic battle. I homing-phased over to the nuke BFG, and then slowly walked my fire over to the left-hand side with a S1F3P1 Nuclear Plasma rifle. I managed to wipe out nearly all the enemies without much damage at all.

However, even this on N! AoMs doesn't compare to my most insane run, in which I did the Mortuary on N! AoHu with Ammochain. I used roughly the same tactics as I did in the previous run, but without a nuke plasma, and I only got hit once, which was from a lucky Arachnotron which rezzed itself. I had thought that it's corpse was a Vile corpse, so I didn't destroy it.

Another story was from a Blademaster N! AoRA run, in which I managed to melee-kill everything before the 3-minute mark. I had the Necroarmor and a set of Agility Grav Gothic boots, along with a Bulk Ripper. While zerked, my attack and movement speeds were .17, and my melee damage was (7d6+15)*2, averaging to 39.5 damage, or ~232.35 damage per second, without Blademaster added into the mix. I just ran for the Nuke BFG, shredding everything that was in my way. After that, I dropped down for the bulk mod, and then went to the upper left for the power mod. The moment I killed the final enemy, the Angelic Armor spawned in the space next to me. After I grabbed that, I immediately homing-phased to the stairs and went down before enemies could respawn more.

The Mortuary on N! AoOC is ridiculous, since you only get 3 levels of buildup time, without special levels. I did it that time with a Malicious Blades build, since that way I could have the resistances that Malicious Blades grants, along with zerk from a lucky Hatred Skull.

When I did it on N! AoD, that was really crazy since not only did the enemies respawn insanely quickly, but then I couldn't see where they were shooting from. That time I also did it with Ammochain, and I used a ridiculous amount of cells to nuke everything with a pair of B3 BFGs, after I grabbed the nuke BFG.

Seriously though, I have completed the Mortuary, in Nightmare mode, on every challenge except Ao100 (obviously). Even on AoPc, but there I just nuked it after grabbing the nuke BFG.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 23:46 »

Cleared Mortuary 4 times.
First was on HTNR and it was one of my first attempts to get Conquerer medal.I killed and killed by Arch-Viles(old ones) raised them back...Oh, that was a pain.I got frustrated and just used scythe 4 times to kill all arch-viles, after that cleared it normally.After that i decided: screw all late(all that were after UC back then) special levels , unless for Conqueror, it's so damn annoyng and painful.
A lot of time passed while i was peacefully not entering Mortuary and so on.
Second and third attempts were Elite Platinum runs, MAc + SoB5 + S-modded plasma = easy.
Fourth idea was to get Angelic Badge.So plan was playing AoMC on UV to get Cateye and get SoB5 to kill everything in one volley.It worked, i got my medal.
After that i haven't entered Mortuary and have no desire to do it at all.Not worth the troubles.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:32 »

Well, by the time you reach the mortuary, you probably have a homing phase, so as long and you're not going for YAAM you can just enter it, grab some good stuff and leave. That's what I do most of the time.

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 18:50 »

More than the respawns, the difficulty of the mortuary comes from its architecture. It is:
1. A vast open space with no cover.
2. Has a higher monster density than anywhere else in the game.

Destroying the corpses before the Viles can raise them helps a lot with the second problem. I'd recommend coming in with a BFG9k equipped and spend your first two actions firing it at max range to the left and right. On challenges that don't let you use the BFG, I'd recommend skipping the mortuary (it's still doable, but much more dangerous). ;)

Alternatively, if all you're after is Reaper Gold, AoMC-Cateye makes the Mortuary a cakewalk.
9.9.6 Cacodemon Sergent Major (Wins: 0, 2, 0, 1, 0)
Badges: 14 | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0

9.9.5 Arch-Vile Captain (22 | 15 | 7 | 2 | 1)

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 19:47 »

That's a very perceptive view. I hadn't realised how much architecture plays a part in the difficulty.

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:46 »

Back to the original post..... You destroyed the angelic armour?? That isn't even possible...!
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 05:38 »

Ah, I forgot about the Angelic Armor. Yes I did pick that up after all the hard work.

HenWen

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32 »

I had a MMB run where I used every consumable I had to survive the mortuary.  For some reason I did not use the BFG to blast corpses, I can be OCD about saving ammo sometimes.  I never fired the BFG 9k that game even though I was carrying like 5 stacks of cells.  If you are sufficiently patient though it seems like a sure-fire method is just to grab the supercharge and armor, fire a BFG blast to the left and right, run to the right and get the nuclear BFG, and then just slowly use the nuke BFG to blast all the corpses.  This is how I survived after using up all my health consumables.  My MMB character was nearly invulnerable to small numbers of enemies, but my nanofiber skin blue armor would lose its durability and protection and I would take a lot of damage from all the enemies when I tried to clear them in melee. 

I almost never get more items out of the mortuary than I put into it, I usually already have a tactical or assault shotgun, bulk and power mods are not too uncommon, and the multiple red armors on the map usually get equipped by enemies.  But I go YAAM for any non-challenge game so I cleared it always.

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 18:07 »

That's a pretty good idea regarding the nuclear BFG. I'll try that in my next run. But are you able to get to the BFG without dying along the way? I guess I'll find out pretty soon
Pages: [1] 2 3  All