Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Let's take on the Mortuary!  (Read 18928 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's take on the Mortuary!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 03:19 »

You can move in the direction of the nuke BFG and use a homind phase to get there instantly.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 05:33 »

Ah so the homing phase actually takes you to the nearest exit? That's pretty smart. Looks like the next run will be a good one...

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 07:54 »

As far as I know. It would be best if someone more experienced could confirm it, since I only vaguely remember reading about it somewhere and have so far failed to utilize the knowledge.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 08:02 »

At least in previous versions in took you a random exit, not nearest one.And i have no reason to think that was changed.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11 »

Ok, in that case I'm sorry for misinformation =)

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 09:55 »

I've always ended up with the nuclear BFG with a homing phase.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 11:57 »

I beat the Mortuary on my first play-through that made it that far. That was just yesterday, on my 28th "New Game" (also my first victory). My previous best attempt got to the Unholy Cathedral but got stuck there so I thought I'd experiment with a melee character. I lost a few scouts that weren't able to survive long enough to get blademaster so I switched to marines for the longer berserks and the vampyre trait. I cheated a bit and read up on the basic assemblies so by the time I got back to the Cathedral I was equipping a piercing chainsaw (5d7) which turned out to be surprisingly effective in the hands of a berserking vampyre. Also, in the City of Skulls I decided to keep the Hatred Skull as I thought a portable source of berserk would be useful. So, when I entered the Mortuary, I felt a bit spooked by the "wail" of the archviles, but then I saw all the corpses, and I remembered my skull, with an evil grin...

I had to fire a BFG a few times, but it was mostly just nonstop melee carnage. Tons of fun.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 05:20 »

I've always ended up with the nuclear BFG with a homing phase.
I am just after failed Mortuary, and I have to say that homing phase does not always bring you to the Nuke BFG :( .

Demetrious

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 06:07 »

The Mortuary is my favorite level for sheer DOOM-style mad nonstop carnage. When I realized that changing targets during chainfire let you "hose around" with the bullet stream, the Mortuary became the most insane, psychotic fun you could imagine. With a bulk-modded Minigun it is joy incarnate. Full-out chainfire, hosing it around to wipe out six or seven formers/imps/etc a turn... striding knee-deep through the dead until you spot a Vile, and pumping him so full of lead in less then two seconds that his body goes CLANG when it falls?

Yeah. Oh, hell yeah. Felt like the Terminator.

The Mortuary is very hard, yes, but it's like any other Arch-Vile fight, only more so: to wit, clear out anything that's not a Vile by any means necessary, then feed the Vile a steady diet of Rockets. The trick is clearing a path to the Vile, which means you can't play whack-a-mole with their minions, which means you must deliver massive carnage to a wide area, immediately. BFG-9000 seems like the obvious choice there, but as observed, rapidfire builds with a decent 10mm weapon can saw through them wonderfully; if you know the "walking fire" trick. Double Shotgun or even Focused Double Shotgun can deliver similar rape, especially with Army of Darkness.

In short, you need a time-efficient snowplow. By the time enough monsters have been rezzed to worry you much, you've already sallied forth, found the Vile, and blew it to hell. Rinse and repeat as necessary. If you're a bad enough dude to use the vanilla rocket launcher, the blast radius of 4 makes it decent for that job, in addition to corpse gibbing - and you've already got it in hand when you spot the Vile.

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 20:03 »

Just saw this and had to ask - what is the "walking fire trick"?

Demetrious

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 04:08 »

Just saw this and had to ask - what is the "walking fire trick"?

It happens when you're using chain-fire. Whether you're still warming up, or in full-out chainfire, each round you get an option to switch targets. If you switch between an imp on your right and a former human below you, your fire will actually sweep across all the tiles in-between as you realign your gun. Try switching from one former human to another on the other side of the next pack you find in early-game and you'll see what I mean.

It also works if you've killed the last enemy you were targeting - when you pick a new target the fire will "sweep" in a similar fashion. I don't know exactly how it works; if it's a set number of shots spent per tile of re-aim (which would mean the next enemy would take far less damage if you adjusted a chain-fire from one side of the map over to him,) or if its a set number of projectiles that are then distributed evenly across the "swept" space (which would mean a limited adjustment would put a much higher density of lead on the few targets in that area, and a bigger adjustment would be perfect for wiping out mobs of imps or formers.)

My current Ao100 game has a Minigun, so I'll experiment. For SCIENCE!

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 06:38 »

Wow, I learn something new every day on the forums! Thanks, that was a really good explanation. Now I know what to try on my next Ao100...

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 13:44 »

So, my second attempt at the Mortuary failed horribly, and my third attempt was an easy victory again. The deciding factor for whether I survive or not seems to be whether the agony elemental is nice enough to drop hatred skulls. My first time through the City of Skulls, I thought one of each skull type was guaranteed, which would be more balanced, in my opinion.

N o i r

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 08:21 »

I never attempt the mortuary unless I have:

-BFG 9000 (modded with Bulk is better);
-at least one Skull;
-at least one Homing phase device;
-enough cells stack to fire enough times.

When I enter, as others suggested I start by firing two BFG shots left and right, AND using a skull - starting with the action that cost me less time (skull if I'm technician, BFG if I have Finesse, ecc.).
I then proceed to teleport to a stair, and start cleaning the level from there, using the BFG on any Arch Vile I see until everything stops moving.

It's good to have another Homing phase device as a backup, should everything start going pear-shaped.

Question: is there a way to gib a corpse on the ground without any monsters nearby, other than using skulls?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 19:18 by N o i r »

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 08:53 »

If you're lucky enough to find a Revenant's Launcher, that will gib corpses easily. If you've only got a standard rocket launcher, you can rocket jump to destroy corpses (not sure if the missile launcher has rocket jump), and finally there's the Longinus Spear's altfire, but that is somewhat costly for its stamina drain.
Use power for power.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All