Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Let's take on the Mortuary!  (Read 18930 times)

Demetrious

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Let's take on the Mortuary!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 09:08 »

Question: is there a way to gib a corpse on the ground without any monsters nearby, other than using skulls?

Rocket Jumps. You take little damage and go a-flying like that DARING young man on the FLYING trapeze~ but everybody around you is not so fortunate.

On that note, Rocket Jumping is absolutely amazing in the Mortuary. For starters, you can gib corpses left and right with rocket jumps - it's the only way to make a rocket explode "on the floor." Second, that frequent situation where you've got a pack of nasties close together, that really beg for a rocket... but they're too close? Rocket Jump. You hit them with a rocket AND remove yourself from harms way quite quickly.

And then there's the mobility bonus. In one turn (or less) you can relocate a distance equal to your sight radius or more (if you've got the phase-boots, it's a great way to exploit their knockback increase.) This lets you flee or attack; since you can use Rocket Jumps to get close to those thrice-cursed Arch-Viles and feed them a double shotty blast, or use it to get out of dodge after killing one, if his back of friends are too large to handle up-close. By rocket-jumping around, you can gib corpses, hurt enemies, flee or attack as needed, all while taking less damage then you would by standing still and getting shot by two Arachnotrons, a Former Commando and a Baron of Hell or two.

It's the best argument to be made for the standard rocket launcher and its associated assemblies; now that the bugged jumping of Ver. 9.9.3. is behind us. Revenant's Launcher is fine, Missile Launcher is fun, but neither can rocket-jump. I ended up in the Lava Pits with a single EnviroSuit once, and after cursing myself for overconfidence, realized I could rocket-jump over the lava in a jiffy. I cleared the level with no problems. Setting off a 4-radius explosion in your enemies faces while simultaneously surfing the fireball out of the room in a split-second is the best NOPE option ever conceived.

Also, it's plain fun. I suspect rocket jumping has been sorely overlooked.

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 15:51 »

Ohhh, that sounds like good fun. Have to give that a try too. Finally a use for the vanilla RL.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25 »

I've actually had weird problems with the Revenant Launcher not gibbing corpses, even when they're in the center of the blast radius.

Rocket jumping is great. You just need to realize it's not part of corner-shooting or hosing down things at LOS.

I've actually had a few thoughts about the Rocket Launcher. Maybe it's time to Suggest something.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 07:30 »

hmm, a rocket jumping melee build sounds fun
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 00:37 »

I actually set up a Mortuary Training post a few versions ago. It sort of does teach you a bit about the game, different weapon types, relative armour values, etc. From memory the post got locked. Probably due to the save-scummy-ness and potential player file cheating from players. Or lack of downloads. Or something.

I've got a bunch of saves from around the end of the game, in quite a few different challenge modes and difficulties. All around the Mortuary in fact. Would it be cool with the moderators if I chuck a few save files up into this thread for people to try out?

It's hard to comment on AoS or AoMr on various difficulties in the Mortuary if you haven't tried it. This will let people have a quick go and perhaps hone their playing skills a little.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 05:54 »

I actually set up a Mortuary Training post a few versions ago. It sort of does teach you a bit about the game, different weapon types, relative armour values, etc. From memory the post got locked. Probably due to the save-scummy-ness and potential player file cheating from players. Or lack of downloads. Or something.
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3383.msg29550.html#msg29550

Savescumming? File cheating? Common, we do not need files from the other players to do it =) .
Besides, it is everyone's own choice.

And booooooooooo for strange decisions made by admins :P .

Personally, any files (preferably UV/N! for the current version) would be very nice to have.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 07:12 »

The locking is due to the age of the thread in terms of the last reply.  That's an automated process.
I computed, therefore I was.

Zero Gravitas

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52 »

Any advice on getting the Angelic Badge? I can't figure out how to avoid taking damage when there is practically no cover. There are just so many damned enemies, and the Arch-Viles hang so far back...

Angel of Max Carnage or a double-sniper nuclear plasma rifle/ammochain plasma rifle and just fire blindly at every row on the map until the viles are dead? Or maybe use a napalm launcher to make only a single route accessible? Last time, I tried to homing phase to the nuclear BFG and use it for corpse clearing. Unfortunately, there were commandos and arachnatrons surrounding it and I died the turn I phased.
Hell Baron Colonel
24/19/15/5/0

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 10:03 »

I achieved Angelic Badge this way: AoMC, Cateye build, UV for max exp, lots and lots of cells.11 damage per shot(maximum without causing knockback)x 8 = guaranteed kill in one burst.Fin3 rocks, HR helps too.Swap between general plasma rifle and nuclear one.Juggler is useful.Skulls are good too.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ulyssessword

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03 »

What about using a plasma/plasmatic shotgun to destroy corpses?  Seems like it would be quite effective to me.
Hell Baron Warrant Officer
[17/6/4/0/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 09:21 »

I got my angelic badge on AoMc UV as well - inventory almost full of cells, I cleansed the whole place with BFG blasts. Just one stack remained when I was done, but it was OK, since I had the nuclear plasma rifle by that time.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Sanctus

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 10:39 »

My fisrt (and best) Mortuary clearing was on marine AoB, with Longinus and Berserk+Vampyre. I destroyed all armors, but killed em all and quit with 200% HP. No tactic, no thinking, nothing to be proud for.
Since that time I only once completed Mort on HMP AoSh with 3 skulls from City. That was also quite easy because I'd almost cleared floor after 3rd skull. The problem was that my shotgun always send Viles out of vision :(

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 19:03 »

What about using a plasma/plasmatic shotgun to destroy corpses?  Seems like it would be quite effective to me.
Only works when you kill enemies. You can't just chew through a bunch of already dead corpses with one.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All