Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Shotgun Build discussion.  (Read 22156 times)

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Shotgun Build discussion.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:28 »

300 shells is weak. I regularly carry 560 or more (that's 8 stacks with the backpack).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:32 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 06:36 »

Am I the only one who believes that juggler is better than reloader?

With juggler initially i carry 2 shotguns and swap them for no reload time giving me shotty shots that knockback the enemy allowing me to kill them in the 3rd hit with no damage, works extra well when cornershooting.

Then i find a combat shotgun and pumping is not aftected by reloader, and most monsters would die from taking 5 shells before i reload.

end game is tactical shotgun and double shotgun, i only use double shotty when its point blank until i turn it into focused double shotty.

I almost never reload in the middle of a fight unless i am cornershooting a powerful monster, but they cant approach because of knockback and die.

My build goes like "Fin-Jug-SOB-SOB" then either wizkid/TAN/TH depending on what i get, if my mods are not enough then TAN, if i get an early plasma, TH.

Never felt the need for reloader or shottyman, passive abilities that can be fixed with juggler :)

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 06:45 »

Well, it's almost true.Rel is generally inferior to Fin, but you can't take shotgun master traits without taking Rel first.
And juggler is less useful if you specialize on one weapon type,in which case you don't really care about instaswapping.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 06:47 »

@ultimate26:
- sometimes you do fight with tough / fast groups of enemies and two basic shotguns are not enough to kill them; thats when the Reloader is handy ;) ;
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:49 by skarczew »

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 07:21 »

in that case, take third shotgun and a pistol to make juggler not swap with prepared slot but pull a still-loaded shotgun out of inventory. BAM-BAM-BAM, up to the number of loaded shotguns in inventory. But they will need reloading, all of them, while it's great for a set of burst fire to have a ton of common shotguns, the constant reliance on that bunch is a problem, you need whole 2.0s per shotty to reload it without Rel, that is, 1.0 to take it off the inventory since Juggler won't let you take an unloaded weapon if there are loaded ones, and another 1.0 to actually reload. Tried that to some extent, had fun early, bot later you need either tactical shotty, or whatever other means possible to knock back enemies (missile launcher in prepared slot? :) if you're able to shoot it, of course).
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25 »

That is not how Juggler works, IIRC.

If you have an example of the quick-keyed weapon in your prepared slot, you will switch weapons.
If you do not and one is wielded, nothing will happen ('You are already wielding x!').
If neither slot has the quick-keyed weapon, it pulls the one with the least ammo from your inventory.

On-topic: Reloader is great for keeping your gun loaded rather than swapping your empty one out in zero seconds, then waiting for them to come into view and take more damage from your second shot, then being out of ammo and having to reload without a bonus. I've done mAC lead-ins just fine starting with Rel(2); it keeps things from getting too close when you can't corner-shoot right this instant and makes demon encounters hilarious.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

ih8regin

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 09:33 »

no, this was fixed in 0.9.9.6, if neither slot has an instance of a keyed weapon, it pulls weapon with the most ammo from the inventory.

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:49 »

3 shots with no reload? I didnt know that, good to keep in mind ;)

Besides, Technician doesnt have any good shotgun master class, fireangel is currently bugged, and i love modding things.

Insta health pack unique item modding and Fast Whizkid is more meaningful to me than a +10 health bonus, hell i usually take badass after TAN and i feel like my life went up by 1.5.

I dont like using Marine because of 2 FIN requirement for whizkid, right now i feel that WK is a necessity for competitive advantage.

Starting with a Tech mod is great aswell, I was thinking why Marine and Scout dont start with freebies? i was thinking that marine should have a green armor from start since hes supposed to be the "Tank" type, Scout should have boots or something.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 09:54 »

Starting with a Tech mod is great aswell, I was thinking why Marine and Scout dont start with freebies? i was thinking that marine should have a green armor from start since hes supposed to be the "Tank" type, Scout should have boots or something.

I though marines should maybe start with at least a small medkit.

BTW, whizkid is much less useful before you find out all the best assemblies =)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 12:16 »

The thing is, whizkid is great because you start with T mod, chained court gives you 2 A mods which gives you an instant hyperblaster, at that point you add some points to TH and you got a crazy gun that can fire twice and kill most things without an issue.

Late game becomes about modded shotties or Assault rifle, hyperblasters with TH.

I truly wish Scavenger didnt require EE and intuition because it forces you to go with chainguns and plasma rifles.

I almost always go initially with dual shotgun juggling, if i run into combat or double shotgun i stick to the shotgun path, if not i go into hyperblaster or assault chaingun.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 12:41 »

Dude... I wrote that I don't have the good assemblies yet and you have to go and spoil one in the very next post.

Lucky I have such a poor memory =(
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 17:13 »

I just finished a Scavenger shotgun Ao100 game and it was some of the best fun I've had in ages. The "wasted" EE does suck a little in the early game, but it makes all the rockets hit straight in the late game, so there's sort of a balance. But for a normal game the inability to use EE for profit does jar a little.

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 18:34 »

The "wasted" EE does suck a little in the early game, but it makes all the rockets hit straight in the late game, so there's sort of a balance.

And then you find a Revenant Launcher.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

ih8regin

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 22:35 »

And you scrap it for a nano pack, and make a nano launcher :) or a nanoBFG :D

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 02:38 »

And then you find a Revenant Launcher.

Hoo boy, if you end up getting one, good times. Even then, doesn't EE affect its accuracy to some extent? Like, if you're not accurate enough, it might end up one or two tiles off?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5