Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.6G] Graphical movement lag unacceptable  (Read 5199 times)

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.6G] Graphical movement lag unacceptable
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:21 »

Doomguy moves from tile to tile slower than my fingers move from movement key to movement key, and I cannot find a configuration option to make him not do so.

This renders the graphical version unplayable for me, I'm afraid.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: [0.9.9.6G] Graphical movement lag unacceptable
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:46 »

Yeah maybe this would be a good option. Also better for speedrunning.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

bardysya

• Lance Corporal
  • Kill the darkness, and shadows will disappear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:26 »

Watched this effect too... Don't know what to do...
0.9.9.3 Cyberdemon Warrant Officer 12/6/6/0/0
0.9.9.5 Cacodemon 1st Leutenant Md-14, Sp-54, As-28, B-21, S-15, G-10, P-1, D-0

Dreadlord

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:33 »

I have this weird lagging effect from time to time. Usually it is tolerable, but everything is really bad at Hell's Arena. The music is playing but the game freezes for several seconds and then quickly does everything according to the buttons you can press while it is frozen. The lagging is very annoying with fullscreen mode, setting the game to windowed mode makes things a bit easier.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 12:54 »

You guys talking about genuine hanging? I thought it was the little animation between turns you were talking about...
(and it'd probably be nice if you could turn that off)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 13:26 »

Doomguy moves from tile to tile slower than my fingers move from movement key to movement key...
Yeah, this is a very likely option inclusion: it throws off speedrunning and key-users more than it does someone using the mouse, but it's still important. On the other hand, the lack of smooth scrolling may be equally jarring, since the screen still has to readjust itself every time you move: hopefully there's a way to keep the best of both worlds.

I have this weird lagging effect from time to time. Usually it is tolerable, but everything is really bad at Hell's Arena. The music is playing but the game freezes for several seconds and then quickly does everything according to the buttons you can press while it is frozen. The lagging is very annoying with fullscreen mode, setting the game to windowed mode makes things a bit easier.
This sounds potentially like a computer specs problem. Can you post your hardware information, like processor, video card, RAM, etc?
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Dreadlord

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 14:41 »

This sounds potentially like a computer specs problem. Can you post your hardware information, like processor, video card, RAM, etc?

Here it goes:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000; 2,61 GHz
Video card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6700; installed latest drivers today
RAM: 4 GB installed, 3 Gb working due to WinXP

The PC can be the reason, as I have been working under this very OS for a real while and the whole system may be just going nuts.

EDIT: So far special levels cause most problems, namely in locations where there is a lot of blood-stained tiles.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 14:53 by Dreadlord »

Ratha

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 11:09 »

First off, have to say that the new game looks amazing, good work. The new tiles are beautiful, and the custom cursors and things are a nice touch. (Though like most custom game cursors, they feel 'slower' than the standard windows cursor, and seem to operate on a small but noticeable delay, seeming to feel a few frames behind. Not sure if theres anything that can be done about that though aside from allowing the user to use the system default cursor.)

Anyway, im posting here because im having a similar issue to the thread starter in XP on an Intel Q9400 Quad core with 4 gigs of ram and a Radeon X1900. Have to agree with the other poster, that the unpredictable delay in 0.9.9.6g (sometimes its more, sometimes its less) does make playing with the keyboard very difficult, especially as you can easily get multiple moves ahead of the game display, meaning that by the time you see a problem, you've already walked multiple steps into it and cant stop.

It appears that theres a small delay after every movement animation, even on e1m1 with all enemies eliminated, perhaps removing/fixing this delay would help? Im not sure if this is for giving the AI time to move/update, or if its actually caused by slowness in the rendering, those would be my guesses though. It seems like there could be multiple ways (which will hopefully be presented as tweakable options) to fix the issue:

1: By speeding up the player movement and screen-shifting animations, or allowing the user to set how many frames of movement they want to see between each tile / allowing the them to disable it entirely.

2: By not allowing the game to queue multiple movements in graphical mode, requiring that the user wait for the animations to finish before being allowed to make another move.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys. While there are still some kinks to work out, theres no doubt about how visually polished the new release looks. As a result, i think it could easily bring in a lot of new players and supporters, and certainly hope it does.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 15:57 by Ratha »

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 18:58 »

I believe I fixed this via the config file.

There should be an option called "rundelay", I have it set to 5.

I know it's supposed to be for actualy, running, but even on my i5 I needed to set this down before I could press the keys at any decent speed.

(Also, DoomRL graphics version actually does take some kinda high spec stuff, and I'm pretty sure it isn't multithreading either, so dual/quad cores won't help. My dual core laptop runs the game at full screen fine, but with some lag still!)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 20:43 »

I think that the graphics mode still needs more tweaking (there are still some weird bugs to be stamped out), so please report all these anomalies so that Kornel can fix'em up just right.  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 02:25 »

I'm playing the graphic version for the first time at work and the movement is really uncomfortably slow, though I had no problems as home.
I don't know the specs of this computer, but it's definitely system related.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

eharper256

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 15:43 »

I also have to agree with this as a bug issue: the lag was atrocious when I first started. It set in after about 40 minutes of play, and the only solution I could see, once the lag set in, was to continually ALT-TAB, which made it update each time, and repeat this until I could get to stairs to save and exit and start again. Weird.

Eventually, I figured out that running windowed completely eliminates the problem, so I do that now. Still, bit of a shame I can't do full 1440x900.

My system is gnarly enough to do Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 at max settings (at 1440x900, mind, since that's my monitors max). Therefore, I assume its possibly due to running out RAM via a memory leak?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 15:44 by eharper256 »
Cacodemon Sergeant [11/2/0/0/0]
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <-- My Games, Anime & Random Blog
Pages: [1]