Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 23:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [E|87%|9|YASD] SUDDENLY (The unsuccessful teleportation to Deimos)  (Read 4736 times)

ckopo

• Private FC
  • Sir Ckopo Robocat
    • View Profile

I have played DoomRL at ITYTD (just training run).
My goals were:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the main moment of this run. When I teleported to Deimos, I was in a strange situation.
I stood near big swarm of imps and DAT FRRRKING HELL KNIGHTS... *sigh*
I thought I can't run, I had to attack. I made a shot with RL. Ok, some imps died, but knights were still alive.
One more shot. They're just got 'scratched'. I even have no phase devices. I was going to die.
I was gone crazy and swapped to chaingun... But they started to attack.
0% health. You die!... Press <Enter>...

There's no anything interesting in my run, huh? But this run is just showing map generator's rare positions. It was my first play, when I experience these procedure-generating jokes.

There`s the full mortem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"This life is just a game with bad gameplay and godlike graphics" - an unknown Russian DooMer
DoomRL Russian Translation?!

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile

Yeah, spawning near a pack of enemies is common enough that you always want to have a phase handy. I also find it beneficial to have a shotgun out before you take the stairs to a regular level. The spread will usually allow you to attack most of the pack at once.

You always get several free turns at the beginning of the level. What you decide to do with those turns is very important. Usually, you want to play to your strengths. If you have a really good firing speed but poor movement speed, then you'll want to light them up immediately. In the opposite case, you'll probably want to run away.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile

Yeah, spawning near a pack of enemies is common enough that you always want to have a phase handy. I also find it beneficial to have a shotgun out before you take the stairs to a regular level. The spread will usually allow you to attack most of the pack at once.

You always get several free turns at the beginning of the level. What you decide to do with those turns is very important. Usually, you want to play to your strengths. If you have a really good firing speed but poor movement speed, then you'll want to light them up immediately. In the opposite case, you'll probably want to run away.

Pretty much this. Having a shotgun equipped gives you a chance to fight the pack - as long as it isn't later in the game when you end up with big hell knight packs...

Still, just turn on running and dive for cover! So to speak...

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile

Besides, with imps and knights/barons you have a good chance to dodge if you are running (and move diagonally). RNG is a bitch, though, and it's not uncommon to run into a different pack. The same applies to phase devices ofc.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile

Man, you had a Large Med-pack... :P

Also:
- RL damages you as well when you stand in its blast.
- remember about RUN command - it increases your speed and lowers chance to be hit by projectiles.
- at the start of the level you got few free actions before daemons activate; if it is possible to kill them within that time - do it; otherwise hit run button and run away for cover / outside their sight; I survived a lot of "no chance" situations just because I played it as a coward;

Play a lot - soon you will handle ITYTD without problems.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile

Remember a single thing.
As long as you won't happen to win on the difficulty levels a few times, don't take much chances and play cowardly. Very. If you are surrounded - assume that you won't be able to kill them in direct combat. Hit TAB and run the crap away.
Actually, assume that you won't be able to kill ANYTHING in direct combat and you should be fine.

Also, ITYTD wall is easy much, just remember to not run in screaming and firing in all directions(which is what you probably do as you say you were surrounded). Camp at the wall and rocketlaunch everything that dares to come out. It's reward, is, well, rewarding, the backpack will increase your max ammo per stack by 40%, effeciently allowing you to carry more or to leave more space for other things. And the missile launcher is epic. Rapes bruiser brothers even better than a chaingun.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile

Camp at the wall and rocketlaunch everything that dares to come out.

And take care not to destroy your rewards! If you miss two rocket shots in the direction of the centre of the west wall, you may have just destroyed awesome rewards and all you'll get is a few replacement rockets.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile

To prevent that happening much use an agility mod on your rocket launcher, obtainable from the chained court.
Or several, if you're a whizkid.
Or you can assemble the Micro Launcher, if you happen to obtain the correct mods.
Also, ALWAYS fire rockets diagonally. This way, you will only destroy a few rockets at worse, while most valuable things - backpack and missile launcher will be still intact.
Heck, even if you destroy some, the rest will be enough to keep you stacked up on rockets badly until at least Hells Armory. Where another pack of rockets awaits.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile

I prefer to clear the wall using mostly shotguns, since I hate the thought of wasting a mod on the rocket launcher, which is about to be replaced by the missile launcher.

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile

I prefer to clear the wall using mostly shotguns, since I hate the thought of wasting a mod on the rocket launcher, which is about to be replaced by the missile launcher.

Indeed. I'm pretty methodical about it. I'll blow an ideal corner-shooting area out of the wall with the rocket launcher. And an alternate one I can fall back to if I get swarmed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 19:28 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile

I prefer rawkets more.

Horewer, there were cases when a HK/baron shot another baron and knocked him forward to you, pretty much making rocket launching suicidal. In this case, retreating to corner and shooting the shit out of things is a nice idea.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile

That situation is a perfect example of why is rocketjumping useful.

Pages: [1]