Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 23:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: [M|99%|YAVP|AoMr] AAAGRH AMMO  (Read 7951 times)

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: [M|99%|YAVP|AoMr] AAAGRH AMMO
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57 »

Not for me. I like being punshied for my own mistakes, but not for my computer deciding to crash all of a sudden.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 08:36 »

Computers do not "randomly" crash.  "Random" crashes often means that some part of the operating system is unstable, and that means that some device or device driver is not working as well as it was supposed to be.

Instead of solving the symptom (by savescumming), maybe it is better to go back to the machine and look for the actual cause and fix that.  I'm sure that DoomRL is not the only program that faces random BSODs.
I computed, therefore I was.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 08:48 »

As someone who has a laptop that overheats and shuts down when I leave it running for an extended period of time, I can say it's very frustrating to lose a good run.  But I hardly ever save my game, so I don't have any saves to backup most of the time.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 13:25 »

As someone who has a laptop that overheats and shuts down when I leave it running for an extended period of time, I can say it's very frustrating to lose a good run.  But I hardly ever save my game, so I don't have any saves to backup most of the time.
My hint:
Clear your ventilation ducts, get rid of aliens (bugs), they say.

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 04:06 »

One of my mates who I introduced DoomRL to actually savescums SO MUCH that he created a batch file to backup and restore his save files.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 04:52 »

Computers DO randomly crash.
But you are pretty right, the thing is that my machine is shit. I ventilate the thing almost every day, but my coolant fan is about to die. While it still seems to be sufficient normally, I used to speed up my processors often when I wanted to play some CPU eating games - now I won't even dare, since it's a sure death for it. Moreover, my bro thinks that some of my hardware works not really like it should - he failed to identify where exactly is the bug, but he said that it is pretty much why I keep getting random BSODs. Seeing that the whole thing is shitty enough, I decided to just scrap this computer and buy a new one.

But the problem is that I am a poor man.
One of my mates who I introduced DoomRL to actually savescums SO MUCH that he created a batch file to backup and restore his save files.
Meh. Should do that too.

What shouldyour mate try next is to learn how to save/load in the middle of the game. Since the game cannot do that itself(yet), he will have to go the way of messing up with DooM RL memory. Like, dump the whole memory in a text file and when the need arises swap the current memory with what you got in that text file. I doubt he will actually succeed(I actually doubt that I will), but if he will, I will personally award him with a Savescummer badge, lol.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 06:21 »

Open your laptop and clear the dust thats gathered near vent pipes. Check out the connection(s) between CPU / GPU and radiator(s).

Coolant fan may be the best one, but it won't help if you have your pipes bugged.
Pages: 1 [2]  All