Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: [Fixed][0.9.9.6G Windows] Multiple AoD bugs  (Read 13141 times)

Holo

• Private FC
  • ph34r t3h cut3 on3s
    • View Profile
[Fixed][0.9.9.6G Windows] Multiple AoD bugs
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:42 »

Angel of Darkness, on medium both times.

If you are a Marine:
-The stairs show up like you are a scout.
-Map does not properly undraw for the challenge out of line of sight. (this has been reported before with screenshot)

If you play a Scout:
-The stairs are NOT drawn for you. (not sure if they should be or not, given the challenge)

For any Character type:
-Mobs respawn as if it was N!. If this is part of the Challenge feature, it is not listed anywhere that i can find. (tested on medium only)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 23:44 by tehtmi »
Mancubus 1st Lieutenant [22|12|4|1|1|0] (v0.9.9.7G)

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.9.6G Windows] Multiple AoD bugs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:53 »

1. the stairs show up as a marine for me, too.
2. not sure if scouting was allowed before in AoD.
3. AoD is supposed to be unfair, remember?
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03 »

1. definitely a bug
2. Always was the case, same with I think AoRA and AoPC
3. It's a surprise!
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:45 »

1 is a bug, 2 is like it should work, 3, wrether intentional or not, should be removed. AoD is supposed to be unfair, but not THAT unfair. It also kind of beats the purpose of difficulty levels, since all of them are nothing compared to Nightmare, even if it works just like ITYTD with monster respawn.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:46 »

It's not so bad actually, as long as you don't try to get YAAM. I've had much more difficult time beating angel of impatience.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:59 »

3, wrether intentional or not, should be removed. AoD is supposed to be unfair, but not THAT unfair. It also kind of beats the purpose of difficulty levels, since all of them are nothing compared to Nightmare, even if it works just like ITYTD with monster respawn.

This challenge serves a useful purpose. In addition to being different and challenging in its own right, it's as you said - N! is far and away harder than any other difficulty. Turning on one of its difficulty enhancers does not defeat the purpose of difficulty levels in AoD - removing this feature would defeat the whole purpose of AoD. If respawning monsters were removed, it would simply be 'play through DoomRL with slightly less vision radius', an easy challenge where you skulk in corridors and smaller rooms rather than risking wandering around big open spaces, instead of a hard one where monsters respawn like on Nightmare!

There are many, many, many ways to make sure a monster is dead and/or gone. Kill them on doors (lol), kill them on top of other corpses (they don't stack), knock them back with a shotgun or rocket or something and into water/acid/lava, or blow them up: kill them near walls and dodge a fireball or shoot a rocket there, rocket jump near them, get hit by an imp while adjacent to them (preferably they'll hit another monster, but doomguy will often have to do), direct hit them with lots of explode, hit something with a rocket that's within spitting distance of a corpse, push an ever-present barrel close enough to gib them, use a skull if you're desperate... respawning monsters is starting to sound not unfair enough. (As for 'gone', press '>' on a staircase. AoD does give double xp, and not every game has to be a YAAM.)

You can play AoD to get used to the monsters respawning bit first, and then when you're good at shooting down things you can't see and double-tapping their corpses, you can go on to N! in some other game, trading your vision back for faster, more aggressive phobos 3 hell knights.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 14:27 »

The real problem with the AoD is just the challenge description which doesn't even hint at the respawn. As it is, it just feels like a bug.
A simple fix would be to make the description something like this:

You think the DoomRL levels are dark? Try this challenge, and feel a bit of painful claustrophobia. And the monsters, oh the monsters...
As a bonus to all that is injust in this challenge, you level up twice as fast.

Adding that cryptic part would not spoil the surprise but would still tell the player to expect something other than just the extra dark.
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 14:40 »

I'd actually like to redesign the "extra monsters" part of Angel of Darkness so that it's not a matter of enemies respawning but, rather, enemies simply spawning out of your vision, probably close by for added danger/convenience. Whether or not this results from simply being in the level, or enough time not attacking, or whatever, I'm not sure, but I think it's a little more in line with the darkness aspect of things. Plus it's a lot easier for the game to indicate if something shows up.

AoD could use some brainstorming in general: I know we've had some ideas in the past that are pretty amusing. Things like your vision slowly fading as time passes instead of a static reduction.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 15:42 »

About monsters respawning: do you have monsters from a given difficulty? Or do you have N! monsters even though you have chosen the ITYTD?

Given the amount of bugs in this version I would say it is a bug as well.

If you want to make it a hard challenge just change the only possible difficulty to Nightmare.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 15:45 »

Nightmare isn't difficult only because enemies respawn. I haven't beaten UV outside AoMC, HMP still gives me trouble, but I have won AoD in one or two tries. It's not that tough, it's only scary, and the fact that you don't know about the respawning beforehand is supposed to make it scarier.

Holo

• Private FC
  • ph34r t3h cut3 on3s
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 16:26 »

Well, AoD is harder with the respawns, but not as bad as people think.

--In AoD, you get whatever difficulty monsters you would normally fight for that difficulty, and now they respawn instead.
 --In N!, the 'depth' of available monsters is increased, so you get really hard monsters and the respawn.

So in reality, this challenge is a good 'practice' for that style of playing (corpse disposal when necessary), without the full challenge of mobs that are harder and respawning while you learn.

I'd actually like to redesign the "extra monsters" part of Angel of Darkness so that it's not a matter of enemies respawning but, rather, enemies simply spawning out of your vision, probably close by for added danger/convenience. Whether or not this results from simply being in the level, or enough time not attacking, or whatever, I'm not sure, but I think it's a little more in line with the darkness aspect of things. Plus it's a lot easier for the game to indicate if something shows up.

The only issue with this is you would have to disable exp for all spawned monsters, to prevent farming of low levels, but as you said, it could use a little thought to tweak it around :).
Mancubus 1st Lieutenant [22|12|4|1|1|0] (v0.9.9.7G)

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 16:46 »

Exp is already disabled for all spawned and revived monsters.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 04:37 »

<stuff about the purpose of AoD>
Okay. Point got. On the other side, that Angel of Confidence is pretty much the same shit as normal doom rl exept you start with a few levels less. Let's remove it or enchance with, I dont know, invincible bruiser brothers chasing you from the E2M1 til Dis for you sneaking past Phobos Anomaly? So it will probably become a little different.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37 »

invincible bruiser brothers chasing you from the E2M1 til Dis

This sounds less like a challenge mode and more like a mod waiting to happen.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: [1] 2 3  All