Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 04:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dodgemaster  (Read 4796 times)

Jack Trades

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Dodgemaster
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:38 »

Hello,
I've been playing mostly Scout/Shotgun builds lately and I've been wondering how exactly does Dodgemaster works and how to use it properly in a Shotgun build?
I've tried reading Wiki and in-game help about it but I still don't understand how I am supposed to use it.
Some explanation and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgemaster
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:53 »

Everytime you move parallel to an enemy, if it shoots at you, it has a certain chance to target the tile where you were standing before you moved, instead of the tile where you are now, which represents you dodging the projectile. Dodgemaster (if I understand it correctly) increases this chance to 100%. For chainfiring enemies (former commandos, arachnotrons etc.) this will only apply to the first projectile in their attack, so the rest can still hit you.

This means that, for example, you should be able to move around a hell baron forever without him ever hitting you, as long as you don't get too close to walls and take splash damage. This is very useful when fighting the Cyberdemon, since you can move around until he fires and then get free shots at him. Once you hear him reload, you should move around again until he shoots etc.
His rockets have a large splash damage radius, though, so you have to be careful where you dodge, ideally nowhere close to the pillars.

Edit:

This reminds me that I wanted to ask - just how useful dodgemaster is when you have tactical boots/armor and 2 levels of hellrunner? All of these increase the chance to dodge, and it should probably be around the normal max of 95%. Is the guarantee that you won't be hit by 1 in 20 shots worth taking the trait, or is it sometimes better to take another hellrunner for speed or any other trait?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:57 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Jack Trades

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:58 »

Wow, it's that good? I though that it might work like that but then I thought that that would be too good.
Thanks for the explanation. I actually lose most of my characters to the Cyberdemon but now I should have it a tad easier.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:17 »

Yeah, it's that good. Scout-speed-dodge builds are fun (I've messed around with them lately too), though I find them more difficult. That is, at first, I was going for TaN a lot, putting power mods on red armours and not caring about speed at all, prefering to tank most of the damage. Then I decided to learn to play scout (mostly beacuse on Int2) and have been wearing tactical armour almsot exclusively. Few days ago I decided to go back to damage tanking builds (after some unsuccessful attempts to beat Ao100) and found out that it makes the game much easier for me. It's probably because I'm still quite inexperienced, though, and playing with low health and armour is probably a good way to learn not to be careless, ever, not even when the level is cleared.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:08 »

http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/Dodging
So with HR2 and tactical equip you have 50 + smth depending on the enemy.If you are at 4 tiles away from the enemy your chances at least are 72%(or 69 not sure) for pistol/chaingun enemies.For all others it's at least 92, so basically close to 95%.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 05:14 »

Right. Is it usually worth it to take dodgemaster for the ~10% dodge chance that's left to 100% and better chance to dodge the first chainfired projectile (which will still be followed by more)? I have a feeling that taking another level of hellrunner might be preferable, if you don't need dodgemaster for your master.

HenWen

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 19:32 »

Just to clarify a few things:

Dodge will not work vs. shotguns or revenants.  Viles do splash damage with a 2 tile radius, so run speed is more important than dodge chance.  Mancubi will commonly hit you with one of the three projectiles they fire.

When Klear said parallel, he is kind of correct, but I think it is more accurate to say that you should not move in a straight line towards or away from an enemy.  So if an enemy is on a horizontal or vertical line when you start your turn, move diagonally.  If an enemy is on a diagonal line from you, move straight up, down, left, or right. 

Also keep in mind that running adds a huge amount to your dodge chance.   

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 20:44 »

Runninga adds 20.Can't call it huge, but helps.
Dodging techically works against revenants, explosion center is not on your tile.So with working MFa dodging their rockets is not useless.
About mancubi: i'm sure that their targeting behaviour is strange.Once i just stood(not moved) and mancubi missed.And several times when i tried to dodge with DM i'm pretty sure i got hit by central rocket.I think i should recheck it (my mibd playing tricks on me?) but i'm sure it happened.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Jack Trades

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:55 »

I played a completely unrelated technician character and made a Tactical Armor just because I didn't have anything else to spend my A mods on and DAMN! It regenerates durability.
Now I just HAVE to try to make a full Tactical gear Scout character. I always have problem with not having any armor at all in the later game because it breaks all the time.

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 06:10 »

while it regains durability, the only protection it provides is speed and dodge bonus. Don't use it in melee :) Or at least swap it whenever you need meleeing.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 06:21 »

But tactical boots are great as long as you don't plan swimming in lava.

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 21:06 »

phaseshift/A are better :) and yes, as long as you don't dip your feet, tactical boots rule :) But dipping your feet happens a lot less often than getting shot at. At least for me:(
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 14:04 »

phaseshift/A are better :) and yes, as long as you don't dip your feet, tactical boots rule :) But dipping your feet happens a lot less often than getting shot at. At least for me:(

But Phaseshift boots are WAY harder to find than Tac boots! :P

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 14:50 »

I would argue that Plasteel (A) gives tac boots a run for their money. The movement bonus is almost the same, so it comes down to whether you value dodge more than knockback resistance (plus the convenience of walking in acid and lava without switching all the time).
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

gunofdis

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 16:02 »

I'm a fan of going WK2 and making tac boots (A)
Pages: [1]