Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 05:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crossroads of Doom!  (Read 1762 times)

Red Keycard

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Crossroads of Doom!
« on: March 15, 2012, 00:11 »

I'm wondering if it's possible to have more than two stairs in a level. So there'll be one stair that leads to a cave level while another leads to a city level, plus the red stairs to whatever special level that's supposed to be there. If that's possible we could have crossroad like levels where f.e. you can choose to go down the stairs named Infested Ruins for 3 levels of cities, or stairs named Hellish Cistern for 3 levels of water caves, or the unnamed stairs which will be random. Ofc, all the cities will be full of lava barrels and sergeants, all the caves will have far more enemies than is usual for caves of that level and the nameless stairs will be the standard random level with no additional ill intent.

What I'm trying to propose is like a special level where it's not just one fixed level but a series of random levels with odds stacked more than usual against the doomguys. Bastardry such as exceedingly short nuke timers, barrel levels in a row, alarm levels in a row, bad air levels in a row, walls coming down, armors spawned specifically on top of barons/knights, stairs hidden inside destructible pillars/behind walls, stairs in middle of lava, lava/acid flood from both sides of the level, empty levels full of skulls/demons, and semi random combinations of these would be expected.

I realize it'd be a lot of work just making a list of randomly mixable effects that won't make a level completely impossible, not to mention the technical feasibility of implementing something like branching levels in DoomRL code. But I'm pretty certain this kind of thing would be cool. And if it's not possible for DoomRL, and if I'm not delusional, there was a mention of DoomRL2 somewhere around here.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Crossroads of Doom!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:23 »

What I'm trying to propose is like a special level where it's not just one fixed level but a series of random levels with odds stacked more than usual against the doomguys. Bastardry such as...

Alright, let's see what we've got here...

exceedingly short nuke timers
That would be quite unfair, and wouldn't stack with AoRA.

barrel levels in a row
Interesting, if a little far-fetched.

alarm levels in a row
Okay.

bad air levels in a row
Not as okay.

walls coming down
Like in Anomaly?  That'd be hard to pull off on a random map, although locked vaults already do this sort of thing in a way.

armors spawned specifically on top of barons/knights
That could end up being rather difficult if one of the exotics/uniques spawned...

stairs hidden inside destructible pillars/behind walls
Highly unfair, especially on certain Angel challenges, like Marksman and Shotgunnery.  This assumes the player has an explosive or high-damage plasma weapon, which isn't always the case.  Inside pillars would make it impossible without a homing phase or explosive weapon, and homing phases aren't very common.

stairs in middle of lava
Random fluid generation can already cause this to an extent (although the cause is actually bad stair placement, and not bad lava placement).

lava/acid flood from both sides of the level
This I'd like to see.  Maybe a mod could be made??

empty levels full of skulls/demons
That's the point of caves, but you want them as an arena level.  Hmmmm... also moddable.

and semi random combinations of these would be expected.
But then wouldn't they just be like the randomness the random generator already does?
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 04:53 »

Well, I would like to see this, but if all those "semi-special levels" have to be harder for doomguy, then they have to generate more rewards. Because, you know, if they would be "just the same shit exept harder", everyone would just skip them. But if they have rewards, players will take the risk to make later levels easier.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:55 »

Well, if harder means more/tougher enemies, then the reward is XP.

Still, I think there is already plenty of special levels and I'd hate to see red stairs (or something similar) on every level. some of these suggetions could be used as properties of standard levels.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: [1]