Chaosforge Forum

• June 04, 2024, 06:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: NotEye tiles  (Read 3036 times)

packrat

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
NotEye tiles
« on: April 03, 2012, 15:00 »

Hey,

congrats for officially releasing the tile version of DoomRL!

Would it be OK for me to try to improve the DoomRL support in NotEye by using them?

I know that Kornel was against that in the past, but I suppose this was because tiles were not released yet by then.

I would have to extract the tiles somehow (I think they are inside the executable and thus NotEye cannot use them directly).

Thanks for keeping compatibility with the system console, this makes it compatible with NotEye too! From an old post I expected that the compatibility would be lost once the tile version is released.

If you don't know what I am talking about: DoomRL-NotEye video, old thread

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: NotEye tiles
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 18:45 »

I kinda fail to see the point why should tile support in Not-Eye be offered against the native tile support of DoomRL o.O. Also, many of the tiles in DoomRL are dynamically recolored and use overlays -- any direct usage would look like a mess.

DoomRL ASCII mode will stay ASCII always -- there's too many people that are hardcore players :P.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 22:48 »

If you could code a utility that would extract graphics from a legitimate Doom2.wad and convert them for use with NotEye that would be something.

packrat

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31 »

Sure, it is pointless to do this for NotEye's 2D tile mode, as it would take lots of work and it still would not look as good as DoomRL itself. But the point is to use the DoomRL tiles with NotEye's first person perspective mode (and also Isometric and Mini-tiles). So the player would get a worse Tile mode, but they would get NotEye's other modes.

Overlays and recoloring are not a problem for NotEye (as long as it can guess everything relevant from the ASCII map, there are some cases where guessing is difficult, but it would work in most cases). It could even smoothen the water edges just as DoomRL does, for example (but I am not sure whether it is worth the trouble to reinvent the wheel).

Quote from: Creaphis
If you could code a utility that would extract graphics from a legitimate Doom2.wad and convert them for use with NotEye that would be something.

Ah yes, I see it's easier than I thought. NotEye should be able to do the extraction itself, via a Lua script.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10 »

I would rather see the original graphics ripped for that. Using DoomRL's sprites for NotEye would promote the false assumption that the tiles are public domain like the Adam Bolt tiles, and we wouldn't want that :<.

As far as a 3d mode goes, we haven't said our last word :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:13 »

This actually concerns me a little as well, though it will take some time before it becomes relvant, but:

I'm making the DoomRL mod for Doom and when (if!) I manage to finish all the levels, including the extra enemies and scripts and stuff, I'd like to make a "graphical" version, that is, Doom with DoomRL-g graphics. The idea is irresistible to me, since it's so utterly pointless and stupid =)

I won't start anytime soon with that, though, since replacing graphics is an easy but slow and boring process, so I'll put it off as much as I can.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

packrat

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 00:22 »

I am not sure whether such an assumption would be created (as one would have to install both DoomRL and NotEye and should know what belongs where), but as you wish. Good luck adding 3D to DoomRL, of course that would be much better, and actually, adding FPP graphics (at least of NotEye or DOOM2 quality) to a game with good 2D tiles is not that hard to do :)
Pages: [1]