Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 00:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.6] Arch-Vile immune to lava, but can't move if surrounded by it- feature?  (Read 3307 times)

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile

well, the subject pretty much says it all. I am now playing U/Ao100, and on one level I pushed an archvile into the lava with a shotgun, it appears to be completely surrounded, but does not take damage from it and does not attempt to move. I wonder if this behavior is intended. (I'd expect archvile to either ignore liquids if immune, or take damage and eventually die if not.)
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile

Yeah. I noticed this as well, but forgot to post it. While anything that makes Viles unable to move is great, it doesn't seem very locical.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile

Yeah. I noticed this as well, but forgot to post it. While anything that makes Viles unable to move is great, it doesn't seem very locical.

Thirded - saw this today as well.

I thought my plan to knockback the Vile was perfect...then he just...stood there...not dying...

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository

This has come up often with various monsters in dangerous liquids.
Viles are immune to fire/lava so they won't die
Only Demons and flying monsters ignore dangerous liquids while everyone else won't move in to it. If they are surrounded, they are stuck.

Im sure there is a good reason why the devs haven't coded the exception of "hey If I'm ALREADY in dangerous stuff, it's OK to move in to more dangerous stuff!"
(preferably shortest path to safe ground)

My suggestion for now is to find the napalm launcher/Acid Spitter and trap everything!
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

Viles are immune to fire/lava so they won't die
Actually, this is because Arch-viles have the BF_SELFIMMUNE flag, which makes them immune to damage when it's their turn. This has the unfortunate side-effect of making them immune to hazard tiles without granting them know-how of moving through it. It was a known bug just prior to release but there wasn't an obvious fix for it at the time: we should be able to take care of it now, however.

Im sure there is a good reason why the devs haven't coded the exception of "hey If I'm ALREADY in dangerous stuff, it's OK to move in to more dangerous stuff!"
(preferably shortest path to safe ground)
The current pathfinding method depends solely on a hard-coded algorithm. It's still possible to expand upon it lua-side, especially for rare exceptions.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile

So a Vile wouldn't take any damage if he set off ten barrels all around him?

I presume it's at least impossible for Viles to survive a nuke on their turn, right? That would suck.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile

no, viles can't survive a nuke, because a nuke happens when it's nuke's turn :) so any vile or doomguy will be inactive. In case of vile and barrels, it's possible that barrels are somewhat a source of damage, so vile will get hurt if it'll trigger an explo9sion, but I'm not sure of the details. And if I understand all this right, lava/acid damage has self as source, so self-immune don't get hurt by lava. (Pitiful, no wai to make JC die out in magma... thankfully there's a lot of other kids with dangerous weapons around :) )
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile

Actually, this is because Arch-viles have the BF_SELFIMMUNE flag, which makes them immune to damage when it's their turn.
Selfimmune should make them immune to their own damage, not the damage that happens on their own turn :] . Seems like the real ChaOs corrupted DoomRL itself :P .

Rabinowitz

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile

Yes, this bug lives since 995 version. Viles stuck in lava or acid, cant move, dont receive damage and still can attack you or resurrect enemies. So pulling lever on "gasoline smell" levels dont work as instant clearing now.
Yellow Man has non-zero weight.
Pages: [1]