Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 16:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sirdec's suggestions... backpack, new mods  (Read 3140 times)

Sirdec

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Sirdec's suggestions... backpack, new mods
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:49 »

This post is work in progress, i'll add more to it later.

1. Something that bugs me for a while is... the backpack.
Why is it considered as a powerup ? Makes it unusable in AoP. Why not change it as an item, that apply it's effects on pickup.
I'd also love to see it in Ao100 as a new unique, for easier ammo stacking. Would be awesome if coded so it can only randomly drop during Ao100, or if that's not possible with a minDLevel so it can't appear in a normal game.

2. With the recent changes to the game, i see that some new mod packs could fit in :
* exotic resistance mod for armor : adding 25% to all resists, probably at a cost for general protection.
* exotic mod that let's a weapon deal piercing damage, i guess this one shouldn't be allowed along other mods, would get OP very quickly.

more later, when i get more ideas ;-)
Roguelikes beaten
DoomRL : a lot of wins, best one AoMr UV 100%
DCSS : 10 runer MdFi
AliensRL

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Sirdec's suggestions... backpack, new mods
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:35 »

Why is [the backpack] considered as a powerup ? Makes it unusable in AoP. Why not change it as an item, that apply its effects on pickup.
Wouldn't this just make it useless in AoI? Even artifacts like the Hell Staff sit on the ground if you try to "use" them.

As a more technical point, items merely sitting in your inventory can't "do" anything, as there's no engine hook to check it. It's not impossible to make some, but it would also require a lot of work to design (OnInvTick and OnDrop both come to mind as necessary).

I'd also love to see it in Ao100 as a new unique, for easier ammo stacking. Would be awesome if coded so it can only randomly drop during Ao100, or if that's not possible with a minDLevel so it can't appear in a normal game.
This is probably more likely. TBH I've been meaning to design "checkpoint" special levels in A100, and the Backpack as a reward in one of them would be quite appropriate. Barring that, having it act as a unique powerup is probably doable, too.

I'm not going to comment on the mods, because I have a fundamentally different idea for approaching them. Not going to say anything here, since it's not even a clear prototype yet.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07 »

This is probably more likely. TBH I've been meaning to design "checkpoint" special levels in A100, and the Backpack as a reward in one of them would be quite appropriate. Barring that, having it act as a unique powerup is probably doable, too.

Oooh, this is going to make Ao100 really interesting... I always miss having the BP when doing Ao100 cause there's always so much to carry around.

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 22:04 »

I'd like to have backpack spawned once in a while at Ao100, as a powerup I think, and, in case you're already having a backpack, taking a second one should replenish your stacks of ammo to their top. Say, you grabbed a backpack with 2x70 cells, 2x70 shells, a 28 shells ammo stack, and a 8 stack of rockets. You take the backpack, and have 3x70 shells, 2x70 cells and 1x14 rockets.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 00:28 »

I'd like to have backpack spawned once in a while at Ao100, as a powerup I think, and, in case you're already having a backpack, taking a second one should replenish your stacks of ammo to their top. Say, you grabbed a backpack with 2x70 cells, 2x70 shells, a 28 shells ammo stack, and a 8 stack of rockets. You take the backpack, and have 3x70 shells, 2x70 cells and 1x14 rockets.
I don't like this idea.  With tedious ammo dropping and weapon unloading, you could get a lot of free ammo.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 00:38 »

How about just having backpacks (first and any others) give one drop's worth of each ammo type?

Like, y'know, in Doom.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:27 »

I believe there will be no such thing as multiple partially empty stacks of the same kind of ammo in your inventory. So the most you can pull out of a backpack will be 69 shells, 139 bullets, 13 rockets and 69 cells. (Hmm, it's still a lot of ammo, but if it'll be one mean powerup like a Measphere, you won't regret this. IMHO.) Or yes, one normal drop of ammo, you take the backpack, and it generates a stack of rockets, a stack of shells, a stack of cells, a stack of bullets around the Doomguy to collect at leisure.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 00:08 »

just thought I'd say the backpack's code already handles being picked up in multiples without issues, it even has special text upon the second pickup.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]
Pages: [1]