Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 14:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gatekeeper Silver  (Read 2074 times)

Sradac

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Gatekeeper Silver
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:51 »

Im not sure if this badge needs to have its description changed, or if its just bugged, but I totally just cleared the anamoly without taking damage but was not awarded it.

Had 3 turn old invuln when I entered the anamoly, I knew that wasnt enough to do it the "normal" way so I used a phase device and wouldnt you know it?  took me right in front of the exploding wall.  Made a mad dash for the exit portal, took a couple shots in the back but still had invuln, entered the portal, but no badge.

Or do I have to actually KILL the brothers and not just escape? man I hope that isnt the case cause I probably had enough turns of invuln to definitely take out one and get the other one close.

if you do have to kill the brothers, just how do you guys do it short of getting a lucky nuke and invuln right before entering?

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
Re: Gatekeeper Silver
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10 »

to clear the area = to kill all monsters in the area. So if you'd do this in N!, you'll get Gatekeeper Platinum, but if you kill everything and not get hit, you'll get Gatekeeper Diamond (if doing the same with Cyberdemon).
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:42 »

if you do have to kill the brothers, just how do you guys do it short of getting a lucky nuke and invuln right before entering?

First you have to take care of the initial monsters - lucky phase is the way to go, as you already found out - but then you need to kill them all as well. Assuming you port somewhere between bruisers (still locked up) and the lost souls/cacos (trapped behind a door), this easy to do if you have INT 2 and preferably some shotgun - wait until ther are no souls too near the door, open while staying out of line of fire and cornershoot. If any lost souls threaten to get into the doorway, simply close it and wait for it to lose interest.

The probably easiest way to kill bruisers is using missile launcher, which you can get by cleaning the wall just before the anomaly (there is a thread with tips on clearing the wall somewhere right now, if youi have problems with that).
Ready your missile launcher, stand in the same line of tiles as the lowest or highest bloody part of the wall separating you from the bruisers - that way a bruiser will be directly in front of you when the wall falls. Once that happens, shoot your missiles straight in front of you until he either dies (if you are lucky with your rolls) or comes within your vision. Then run back until he gets out of sight again and repeat. The missile launcher is very precise, so you should hit frequently. You should have plenty of rockets and there is nothing you can destroy, so use that. With int 2 you can easily aim at the bruisers if they move up or down, otherwise you have to guess where they are.
If you are unlucky with the rockets, you have plenty of room to retrat. The doorways are a good place to stop and switch to cornershooting, if the bruisers cooperate and approach in such a way that it is possible without their retaliation.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:50 »

First you have to take care of the initial monsters ...
In fact, if you phase right into the bruisers' chamber, killing _them_ first is also a viable option. Missile launcher and Int2 help greatly, playing AoMC helps as well.
Of course, after you kill the bruisers, you still have to backtrack to the starting point and kill everything else undamaged for GK Silver. Note that these buggers won't intervene in the bruiser fight, since none of them can open doors.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 06:56 »

Yeah, if you phase directly to the bruisers, you have no choice but to fight them immediately (or run for the teleporter if you get overwhelmed). If you are lucky with the phase, however, it is best to clean the first chamber first, so you have more room to retreat from the bruisers.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: [1]