Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 00:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Questions about modding equipment  (Read 3117 times)

N o i r

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Questions about modding equipment
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:32 »

Hi there,

I am recently playing Ao100 with a Technician and now that I can really go wild with modding stuff, I have a few questions.

1) What are the limits of applying upgrades? Whizkid L2, in theory, allows up to 5 mods on weapons and 3 on armors. Correct? But there must be some other limits because, for example, I found out that I cannot slap 2 power mods on the same armor. Then again, after applying PTA, I suddenly CAN add another one to make Cerberus Armor. What's the rationale here? If I don't want to make it, will I end up with a P2TA armor?

2) Modifying uniques. Which ones can be modified, and which cannot? The ones I can modify can only receive one upgrade, like the Assemblies, or I can do everything I want with them, even making Master Assemblies out of them? Is there a list somewhere?

3) Modding weapons. I am a Tech with Malicious Blades. So far the best weapon I found is a Piercing Combat knife further modified with Bulk - I end up with a 4d6 Piercing weapon, which kicks truckloads of ass (I have two). Can I do better than that?

Anyway with such a build it's all down to survive long enough to get the proper gear. Right now (I'm savescumming, don't have time to do it properly) I am sitting on Onyx Cerberous Armor (P), which together with Malicious Blades makes me pretty much unstoppable. Got the standard stuff - A-modded TTA Plasma, PTA Double Shotty, even a Combat Relocator for surgigal removal of Arch Viles - unless I do some really stupid stuff, nothing can kill me anymore now (I'm on level 60).

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about modding equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:08 »

1.Up to three mods of one type on ranged weapons, up to one mod per type for armors and melee weapons.
For assemblies that require two mods of the same type for armor/melee weapon slap the same mod last.I mean PTA in any order and only after that second P to finish.And no, you can't have P2TA armor.

2.Exotics are fully moddable for all, Railgun and BFG10K accept one mod(or basic assembly) for Tech, Cybernetic Armor is fully moddable by Tech.

3.B-modded piercing combat knife is your limit.There's also P-modded chainsword 8d3.It have a bit higher average damage, but does melee damage.So basically the same.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:19 »

well, with MMB and melee combat, your top might be finding Butcher's Cleaver :) with ranged combat, BBBN/F laser rifle will do you truckloads of fun :) plasma rifle will do as substitute.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 17:44 »

There's also P-modded chainsword 8d3.

Wouldn't the P-mod make it 9d2?

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 19:23 »

Power Mod on a melee weapon always increases the sides (number right of the d).  Bulk Mod on a melee weapon always increases the dice (number left of the d).

So a power modded chainsword has 8d3 damage, not 9d2.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

N o i r

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 14:53 »

Just finished the Ao100 - stopped savescumming around 50 after I assembled my Onyx Cerberus Armor, and did the last 30 levels only with Bulky Piercing Knives, meleeing the shit out of absolutely everything (occasionally switching to Hyperblaster for a Cave of Nightmare Arachnotron). Who needs guns? Guns are for wusses!

After achieving the right setup, the game was essentially over.

N o i r

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 14:55 »

Oh and since I'm here, I have a last question: my Onyx Cerberus Armor was P-modded ([2]). Is this damage reduction calculated before or after the damage resistances?

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 14:59 »

Oh and since I'm here, I have a last question: my Onyx Cerberus Armor was P-modded ([2]). Is this damage reduction calculated before or after the damage resistances?
After.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

N o i r

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 15:07 »

After.

Ok, this is probably the single most overpowered thing about armors then. My Iron Man 2 tech had:

Bullet     - 50%
Melee      - 75%
Shrapnel   - 50%
Acid       - 70%
Fire       - 95%
Plasma     - 50%

...and anything that got past this, would see whatever damage left reduced by another 2 points. No wonder I was pretty much immortal and laughed in the face of the only Cyberdemon I met!
Pages: [1]