Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quicker movement in gfx mode?  (Read 1939 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
Quicker movement in gfx mode?
« on: March 26, 2012, 22:08 »

I finally got around to trying the new graphics version of the game. It looks very nice if not small (I'm sure I can adjust the resolution, but just haven't tried yet).

But after 2 games, I couldn't stand playing anymore and went back to ascii because the player and enemy movement are just so slow. While the effect of seeing the player and enemies "slide" from one tile to the next does look nice, it becomes frustrating. It's the same thing that bothers me about Dungeons of Dredmor. Although the walking animations look nice, it gets tiresome having to wait for the player to finish "walking" from point A to point B.

I would love it if there was at least an option to turn off the "walking" animation for DoomRL. I would much rather have the player sprite move instantly from point A to point B. Or obviously by taking instant steps for distances longer than 1 tile. Basically move the same way it does in ascii mode.

I would imagine that the "sliding" would also affect trying to gain the badges that require finishing the game in real time minutes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 00:26 by Brewtal Legend »
-Legend

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
Re: Quicker movement in gfx mode?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:06 »

By the way - you can change the resolution in the config file? (God only knows if I'm right...)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Quicker movement in gfx mode?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03 »

This is discussed more closely in this thread. In fact, I'm really inclined to call it a bug, if only because it causes a very significant difference between the graphical and console versions (which attempt to be as close to each other as possible besides the aesthetics). I'd assume some kind of toggle for users is quite doable, but Kornel's the one that knows everything about the graphical interface so I'm not qualified to make any claims.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]