Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 07:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Monster Infighting  (Read 5890 times)

Numbernaut

• Lance Corporal
  • Here comes the night train
    • View Profile
Monster Infighting
« on: March 28, 2012, 15:04 »

It was in the original, why not?  Unless it's OP I mean.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.6G)
[18/7/3/0/0]

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Infighting
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 23:33 »

My only edit to this suggestion would be to have it only for certain enemies.

Such as formers, demons etc.

Having a Vile incinerate every enemy around you would be a...little OP. But a bit of former infighting is just what happened in Doom, pretty funny to watch as well.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:25 »

I think vile was only attacking someone when being attacked first. Vile attack did not have splash AFAIR.
And every monster was capable of fighting back. The good example is a possibility to create duel: Cyberdemon vs Spiderdemon on one of some levels in Doom 2.

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:36 »

There was this level in Doom 2 where you enter this room and there are like 30 hell knights facing away from you and one cyberdemon who sees you and tries to attack, but gets all the knights attacking him back. It's glorious.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:37 »

Map08: Tricks and Traps, ohmygodhowcomeIknowthisfrommemory.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40 »

And the Cybie vs. Mastermind fight was at the start of MAP20: "Gotcha!".
Not so hard to remember, since I played through Doom II a week ago :).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:48 »

I think I must have played it at least 10 years ago or something like that. It was the level where the game got too tough for me when I was a kid and rarely I dared to play on without cheats. If I was playing with cheats, it was pretty much the point when the game became boring.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:50 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:18 »

We were told long ago that this wasn't going to happen, however The Creator may change his mind.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:07 »

Map08: Tricks and Traps, ohmygodhowcomeIknowthisfrommemory.
Yup! One of the best Doom / Doom 2 levels =) .

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:19 »

Played Tricks and Traps on Zdoom coop last Saturday.

Brings back...memories, fun memories! (Also annoying puzzle BS from the latter levels...But I'm a GE/PD/COD boy. (original COD that is...)*sigh*)

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52 »

I actually came to this site originally because of a news post on Doomworld.com. I am a rabid Doom fanatic and can easily list off every monster's infighting behaviour from memory.

- All monsters that deal bullet damage (former humans, sergeants, commandos, SS nazis, spider masterminds) will attack any monster that damages them, even if the monster is of their own kind.
- Imps, cacodemons, hell knights, barons, revenants, mancubi, arachnotrons and cyberdemons will attack monsters that damage them, but will never attack their own type, as they are all immune to the projectiles fired by their own kind and thus can't damage and provoke each other. Hell knights and barons fire the same projectile in Doom and thus can't infight.
- The exception to the above is that when one monster accidentally hits a barrel that explodes and damages another monster of the same type, the damaged monster will begin attacking the monster that set off the barrel. These monsters will still be immune to each others' projectiles so they won't actually damage each other until they get into melee range.
- The exception to the above exception is that cyberdemons and masterminds are immune to splash damage, and can't be provoked by having a barrel explode near them. Thus, cyberdemons will absolutely never infight, even when there are barrels on the battlefield (and they couldn't damage each other anyway, as they have no melee attack).
- Demons and spectres will attack other monsters if damaged. While they could theoretically infight amongst themselves, there's no possible way (except in earlier versions of Doom) to get them to damage and thus provoke each other.
- Lost souls, when damaged, will attack the monster that attacked them exactly once. The way that the lost soul is coded is that after a charge it returns to its dormant (spawning) state, which resets its target to the player.
- Pain elementals will attack other monsters if damaged, but, as it is impossible for them to deal damage directly (they have no melee attack), they will never be chosen as a target by another monster. Any monster hit by one of its' lost souls will just attack the lost soul.
- Archviles will attack other monsters if provoked, but they're hard coded to be untargetable. Basically, there's a routine in every monster's attack code that says: if (target == archvile) then chooseNewTarget();. Doom wasn't written in Java but you get the idea.

If infighting was implemented in DoomRL it would open up some strategic possibilities (you could use some monsters as "cover" from other monsters and get them to fight each other) but some things would have to be tweaked to keep the game from getting too easy. Right now, it's not uncommon for monsters to spawn in mixed groups, eg. a hell knight in the middle of a bunch of imps. If the hell knight hit one of the imps they'd all get caught in the splash and collectively maul the hell knight. You would probably need to restrict which monsters are capable of damaging each other, which would then actually take away a form of infighting that exists now in DoomRL - every monster can damage every other monster, even its own kind.

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 15:13 »

Or maybe instead of guaranteed infighting, like a...5-10% if damage is dealt. (Per enemy.)

This would ensure that entire groups would not maul one enemy since you used them as cover deliberately! Of course every now and then something like it would happen, but that chances of a roll of the "dice" being >9 out of 10 twice in a row is low...very low...

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 16:49 »

Infighting would be problematic, not because of the coding, but because the levels are somewhat less open than areas in Doom and thusly monsters are a LOT more likely to be shooting through each other. We already have a lot of instances of monsters killing each other in corridors because an Imp doesn't care that a Demon is in the firing line, and the way shotguns work here means that a former sergeant will draw fire like crazy.

DoomRL 2 would probably be better able to handle it simply because it can have the firing behavior and map layout designed with the idea of infighting from the beginning, when it starts being a thing that is happening and not just a thing we see discussed sometimes.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???
Pages: [1]