Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 08:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Poll : Backpack  (Read 5633 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Poll : Backpack
« on: December 17, 2006, 10:26 »

Ok, so I will probably add the "backpack" option to the game, as something that allows you to stack more ammo in a single slot. But I still don't know wether it should be a one-time powerup available on some special level, or as a trait (maybe with more then one level)?

Please vote!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Poll : Backpack
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:39 »

I voted "both" because I think a backpack is a good idea but I am not sure what the right way would be. On the one hand it would make a good adcanced trait on the other hand it would also make be a nice unique powerup as reward for clearing a special level :D
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:18 »

I see backpack as a one time powerup. Special levels rule :P
...and now go, tiny mortal!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:20 »

I would like to see backpack as a "powerup"(it can always be explained that player had found new backpack with lots of pockets especially for ammo). New special level is always interesting to clear, also special level prevents from taking backpack early in game(for example, on Nightmare!,  you can raise your level to 10 easily on dlvl 2). IMHO this special level must be approximately at dlvl 9(not too early, and not too late). Also it looks like original DooM backpack then. Also new special level means more exp, which is good!

Why not trait? I have already many traits, that i want to take(and usually i don't have ability to take all i need), and i think that making backpack a trait will force you or to loose levels, that you can spent on more practical traits, or not to use it at all(if you cannot successfully use weapon, then for what you need more ammo for it?).
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:28 »

I think the backpack powerup idea might be too imbalancing, so I voted for trait. Imbalancing because if you get this backpack, the game suddenly would become easier with more carrying capacity, and if it is on a special level and it gets destroyed somehow, it wouldn't be a fun thing to see:P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:53 »

I voted for trait. I think the amount of ammo can just as well depend on a knowledge of how to stack it effectively. Having a special level created for something so mundane as a backpack seems to me a trifle bit extreme.

(off-topic: I'd rather like to see a special level for something special, like divine boots with [6/6] stats :-))
Angel of Death 007

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:56 »

I think that is more "doomish" to have a standard backpack, as we had in Doom 1 & 2.. ;)

Maybe +50% ammo stacking?
http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:45 »

I voted trait because there are people who stack up on medkits and have Ironman, making medkits more valuable numerically (as well as healing powerups).
On the other hand, there are people who stack up on ammo, and making every ammo slot a little more valuable (not including pure damage/to-hit traits as I'm not including pure armor/dodge traits) just seems fair.
I think a 20% increase per rank is good because it works smoothly for all current ammo stack maxes, doesn't make the rocket-launcher a one-weapon choice just yet.

As far as a backpack goes, maybe Inventory should be reduced to ~16 slots (8 AoLT), and a backpack increases it to 24 (12 AoLT).
You could call the trait "Armed to the Teeth", keeping the image of shell-chains and grenade-belts in mind :)

unless

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 04:58 »

I voted for item, because new special levels are always cool, but I think it would also work as a trait with Juggler as a prereq.  Might make people actually buy Juggler, heh.

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 06:09 »

I think it would also work as a trait with Juggler as a prereq.  Might make people actually buy Juggler, heh.

But it won't make Juggler actually useful apart from that anyway.
...and now go, tiny mortal!

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 12:59 »

I think it would be cool as a power up. If it is one you find on a special level, maybe the special level could involve the key cards/ skull keys just for the special level. It would also be cool if there was a possibility of finding the packpack occationally outside of the special level.

-Legend
-Legend

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 13:58 »

I'd still rather see the backpack (if it must be) in Hellish Armoury or Halls of Carnage or Mortuary, rather than having an extra special level created for it...
Angel of Death 007

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 17:54 »

Yeah. If there wasn't a new level created for it, then I would vote to see it in Hell's armory.

-Legend
-Legend

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 05:59 »

I'd still rather see the backpack (if it must be) in Hellish Armoury or Halls of Carnage or Mortuary, rather than having an extra special level created for it...

Well, I think that Hell's Armoury would be too easy, you'd just get extra ammo space before inventory management becomes an issue and Halls of Carnage already has a significant prize. I'd much rather see it as a price for actually completing something, like City of Skulls, Spiders' Lair or Mortuary as you mentioned, though giving it late in the game has another issue in that you might not have much need for it anymore because you don't find that much ammo anymore and you've almost made it to Cybie, so I think that Mortuary is a bit too late.

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 14:04 »

Maybe you could find like individual backpack upgrades and each of them increase your inventory capacity by like 2. And then put them in random levels or something.
Pages: [1]