Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 02:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: dual vs. single wield pistols? (and a couple random questions)  (Read 29665 times)

punkbohemian

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: dual vs. single wield pistols? (and a couple random questions)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 12:54 »

Might I ask what caused you to not like DG much?

I never did the math myself. I probably should have, as the info I've read has said that MSs was stronger due to armor late in the game. I wouldn't have wanted to go with a DG, just to consistently hit a brick wall later on. But, what you say makes more sense than what I've read before.

I just died again, with a DG, on the bruiser level, though not by the Bruiser brothers. Coming out of that first room, I was mobbed by lost souls and that Cacodemon. I've done this before, though it was always with a TaN character. My DG didn't stand a chance. I let the Cacodemon pelt me with fireballs, as it also would take out some lost souls. However, I couldn't heal/deal damage fast enough to last more than a few turns. I didn't think I'd do well, but thought I would last longer since I was able to take out the Arena Master without a scratch.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 13:01 »

It's best to run from this room like a coward and then cornershoot the bastards at your leisure. Tactical armour helps. Not wearing the red armour helps even more. A phase device (and a tiny bit of luck) helps most of all.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

punkbohemian

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 13:31 »

Tactical armour helps. Not wearing the red armour helps even more.

I would have thought it would be the other way around being that red offers more protection. According to the wiki, Tactical offers no protection and just bumps move speed (which isn't terribly valuable when corner shooting). I've actually been planning to save mods until I could build some red power armor. What makes tactical armor so good?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 13:33 »

What makes tactical armor so good?
Raw speed.  And the bonus to dodging.

This means that for the same number of actions it takes to get out of the room, you vastly improve your chances of not getting hit, as compared to getting hit each time (with red armour) and taking slightly reduced damage.

Personally, I only resort to red armour when I realise there is no way that I can get out of the place.  As they say, discretion is the better part of valour -- not getting hit >>> standing there and taking damage like a boss.
I computed, therefore I was.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 13:41 »

The advantage of MSs over other builds is mostly the fact that you have an easy access to Whizkid, which can result in a very nice assembly.

Ahh, Bruiser level, with famous now - overpowered - Lost Souls. If you play non-AoMr you can blast them with shotgun or rocket jump to hideout.
If it is AoMr, then you can try phasing out. Alternatively, you can outrun most of them. Just remove anything that slows you down and remember about Running mode.
It is good to put some speed-increasing-mods on equipment - or create certain assemblies.

As a matter of fact, I was running with naked Scout through this ambush, with pretty good results.

And don't forget about stuff like Hellwave / Shockwave pack, it is better to use it there rather than die.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 13:42 by skarczew »

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 13:51 »

I've actually been planning to save mods until I could build some red power armor. What makes tactical armor so good?
None of the mods needed for tactical boots / armor is used for the power armor.

Personally I think that it is good to have both types of equipment. There are times when you need to tank and there are times when you need to run (e.g. Tactical equipment is good when facing Mastermind, but against Mancubi level I would rather wear Fireproof / Power Armor).

Murkglow

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 13:53 »

With Lost Souls running at 220% speed I'm not as big a fan of the whole "strip naked and run" idea.  Don't get me wrong I still recommend running out of the room (either back the way you came or forward out the other door) and then dealing with them (perferably with a double shotgun blast to the face if possible) but a bit of armor isn't without merit if your character isn't very fast normally.  Even a simple green/blue armor will help with the damage you take (though it might mean a couple more hits on the way out).  Red is a bit overkill though as lost souls don't hit that hard (plus it slows you down alot more then green armor does).

I guess to sum up, is 1 protection worth a -5% speed hit when the enemies already move at 220%?  It seems like it should be but maybe I'm wrong.  Or lets think of it this way.  How many more hits are you going to take by moving at 160% move speed (Tac Armor + Tac Boots + Running) vs 145% move speed (No Armor + Tac Boots + Running) vs 140% move speed (Green Armor + Tac Boots + Running).  I honestly don't know.  Of course having both tac armor and tac boots might be a bit much since that is four agility mods...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 14:09 by Murkglow »

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 15:12 »

The style is the most important thing =) !

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 15:28 »

What I did for the lost souls in my sharpshooter run (and, something I forgot about at the time, it'll only work effectively with Technicians because of their item usage speed), is I spammed my Arena Master's staff, using my remaining small med-packs to let me reuse it.  It'll take a lot of used because of their fire resistance (hitting them with multiple explosions helps a bit), but I didn't have any other plan and it ended up working out fine.

punkbohemian

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 15:38 »

If it is AoMr, then you can try phasing out. Alternatively, you can outrun most of them. Just remove anything that slows you down and remember about Running mode.
It is good to put some speed-increasing-mods on equipment - or create certain assemblies.

Made Tac armor, but couldn't find a single set of boots. In any case, I took another shot, I was surrounded 1 turn after the ambush sprung and dead two turns later trying to get back to the spawn point. I didn't have any phase devices either. Five characters in a row now have died at this point. I don't think it's reasonably possible without either a phase device, or a maxed out (at this point) move -and- a non-surrounding spawn.

Murkglow

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 15:48 »

I know it is possible without a phase device or maxed speed (every time I've done it I don't use either of those methods, I don't tend to wear tac armor in that fight or anything).  Then again I've never been surrounded entirely (often I am surrounded on 7 of 8 sides but there is usually a direction I can move), maybe I'm just lucky?  *Shrug*  Still that is probably going to be one of the harder parts of an AoMr run, no two ways about it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 15:52 by Murkglow »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 02:00 »

Are you sure you were running? That should have given you enough speed to escaped with just a few scratches.
Then again, I think I haven't played AoMr with the new soul AI.

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 04:07 »

Another tip is to make sure you start running before the walls drop. You wouldn't think it'd make a big difference, but it does since it mitigates the distance of their initial move.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

punkbohemian

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 05:27 »

Are you sure you were running? That should have given you enough speed to escaped with just a few scratches.
Then again, I think I haven't played AoMr with the new soul AI.

Those bastards are fast. There's no way I could ever outrun one of them, even with max speed. I hate lost souls with a passion. I'm planning to build an energy pistol when I find the mods, if only for those bastards.

This has me thinking of another tactical consideration. That is, second weapon vs. ammo chain. One lets you switch between damage types, the other gives you almost instant reloads. Even on AoMr, having a solid pistol as a main piece and energy pistol for appropriate situations could be pretty handy.

Another tip is to make sure you start running before the walls drop.

I had thought of that, but I figured it wouldn't help much. I'll have to give it a shot in my current game (which I just started...again).

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 05:45 »

Try investing a point into hellrunner. You'll probably want to have dodgemaster before cybie.

I've recently put quite some time into research of how to pass the anomaly on AoHu (10 HP max, so you really don't want to take a scratch) here.

You can see the time it takes you to move on the character information screen (@). Note that the number changes when you enter running mode.
I know for a fact that you can pass the first room in the anomaly if you have (while running) speed 0,38 without taking a single hit. That may be hard to achieve in builds not made for running, but I believe that if you are a tad slower, you should survive the experience.

BTW, you must go towards the door you came from. The other one is closer, but you have to open the door, plus the lost souls spawn closer to it, not to mention the cacodemons.

In any case, there is often a phase device you can use instead, I believe I found it in about half of my games.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6