Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mancubus AI  (Read 8772 times)

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Mancubus AI
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:57 »

Is it only me, that I have Mancubi KOing me in two consecutive turns all the time?
They apparently have this unique feature that causes them to continue blasting in the specific direction - even though I am no longer in their sight :( .

The first wave kicks me away and destroys every possible wall. Second one is just a finishing blow. Either I have a Large Medpack to heal enough to survive the blast, or my keyboard gets slammed.

Seriously, WTH?

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Mancubus AI
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 05:35 »

Yep, that's the way it works. After the first blast, GTF out of the way fast.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:58 »

You have a 100% chance to dodge Mancubi projectiles, DM or not. If you're away from walls, a lone Mancubi (maybe even two or three) is easy due to this.
Use power for power.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10 »

You have a 100% chance to dodge Mancubi projectiles, DM or not. If you're away from walls, a lone Mancubi (maybe even two or three) is easy due to this.
100%?! Somehow I do not believe that ...I will test it out at home then ...

P.S. Why was the topic moved from DoomRL section to General? Has someone met Mancubi on his way to work? ;]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35 »

I remember it being in general chat when I first saw it. Maybe you confused the two identically named "Discussion" sections?

And the dodge chance only applies when you move before the mancubus shoots. You can get till get a faceful of rocket if you stand still, if you run into one of the two side rockets, and obviously splash damage is always a concern. Hmmm... now that I think of it, it would be cool to see a gun kata scout facing a lone mancubus with a single speedloader pistol in a gigantic empty arena.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53 »

I remember it being in general chat when I first saw it. Maybe you confused the two identically named "Discussion" sections?

Hmmm... now that I think of it, it would be cool to see a gun kata scout facing a lone mancubus with a single speedloader pistol in a gigantic empty arena.
May be, I am not feeling at my full potential today, so mistakes are an issue.

As for MGK vs Mancubus, I suspect it would be just another brick Gun Kata Scout in the wall, roasted a bit.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:39 »

It's really fun charging at a mancubus while berserk.  Smart?  Maybe not, but definitely fun.  But you'd better have some knockback resistance.  I've wasted entire invulnerability globes trying to charge at a mancubus and just getting pushed back forever.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 13:25 »

It's really fun charging at a mancubus while berserk.  Smart?  Maybe not, but definitely fun.  But you'd better have some knockback resistance.  I've wasted entire invulnerability globes trying to charge at a mancubus and just getting pushed back forever.
Once I had similar experience as well. Only it was a group of them, with 2-3 Viles, with me in the middle.
I tried to kill Viles, but apparently Mancubi were better at this - and blasted entire group, including themselves.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 17:00 »

Mancubus-Vile packs are really not a lot of trouble, if you can move/dodge well enough, or have resistances. All the missed mancubus shots will annihilate the viles (and each other) leaving you to do the mopping up.

I love taking advantage of that!
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 19:13 »

OT: It really is in general discussion... Someone met a mancubus on way to work!

Chaosforge Forum » General » Discussion » Mancubus AI

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:32 »

Mancubus-Vile packs are really not a lot of trouble, if you can move/dodge well enough, or have resistances. All the missed mancubus shots will annihilate the viles (and each other) leaving you to do the mopping up.

I love taking advantage of that!
"If"

Without cerberus armor (or whatever it is called) it is highly unlikely to live through it ...

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 14:22 »

Actually, zerk plus a little extra fire resist easily works well enough.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 14:11 »

I've noticed that mancubi are able to fire from out of LOS sometimes. I thought this was a bug.

I think I would like the DoomRL mancubus better if it was easier to dodge its fire completely. It's no fun dodging the centre shot just to take a direct hit from one of the peripheral projectiles. Maybe these outer shots could be fired at a larger angle from centre so that they wouldn't ever hit the player directly but would still cause a lot of chaos. Or, maybe the mancubus could fire only two shots at a time so that the player can dodge them all with a left-right-left movement pattern (like in Doom).

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 16:42 »

I've noticed that mancubi are able to fire from out of LOS sometimes. I thought this was a bug.
I noticed it too ...no idea if it was due to some strange FOV / LOS settings, bigger sight range, or some bug. Or not.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 17:37 »

I think I would like the DoomRL mancubus better if it was easier to dodge its fire completely. It's no fun dodging the centre shot just to take a direct hit from one of the peripheral projectiles. Maybe these outer shots could be fired at a larger angle from centre so that they wouldn't ever hit the player directly but would still cause a lot of chaos. Or, maybe the mancubus could fire only two shots at a time so that the player can dodge them all with a left-right-left movement pattern (like in Doom).
In my experience, if you are five or more squares away from the M and you dodge the center rocket, the outer ones are spread out enough to miss you as well.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working
Pages: [1]