Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: break up running.  (Read 3228 times)

punkbohemian

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
break up running.
« on: April 03, 2012, 22:20 »

You want to limit running to 30 actions a level? That's cool, makes sense. But what about being able to break it up a bit? Rather than getting just one shot at it, why not be able to toggle the mode, which is limited to 30 cumulative actions per level?

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: break up running.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 23:03 »

It sounds pretty cool until you realize that the way it is now allows you to have many more actions. Run, find globe. Run again, find zerk pack. Zerk wears off. Run again, find small medkit that you don't need. Use it anyway to get back to cautious. Run again, find stairs down. Etc..

The way it is now benefits you a lot more if you are being studious about it.

Now if it were a break-uppable thirty actions per activation, that'd be another story, and pretty rad. As in, if you're cautious and you activate running, that starts your 'counter,' which you can stop and resume later. But health globes reset the counter.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 23:06 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49 »

What if small health globes/packs would only add five, ten points at most, while only the large ones reset it entirely, and taking the stairs down won't add to it at all?

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:57 »

What if small health globes/packs would only add five, ten points at most, while only the large ones reset it entirely, and taking the stairs down won't add to it at all?

Nobody knows! And by that I mean that I think it would have great impact on balance and would have to be tested extensively.

Can any of the devs maybe tell us if some sort of reworking of the running system is planned for the future? I have a feeling I read something like that before, but I could be wrong.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:06 »

This wont change. The reason it's there is so people don't get tempted to micromanage every run move, as a enhanced dodge. That would become tedious after a while, and break the speed of the game.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:28 »

This wont change. The reason it's there is so people don't get tempted to micromanage every run move, as a enhanced dodge. That would become tedious after a while, and break the speed of the game.
Not that I am for or against the running changes, but Platinum and Diamond badges already need a LOT of micromanagement for every move, and the game is no longer "speedy".

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:31 »

Running is sort of like a weak powerup on-demand anyway. You don't get to break it up for the same reason you don't get to use only a little bit of a berserk pack at a time, or why you can't turn off light-amp goggles when you want to save their batteries.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:47 »

Running is sort of like a weak powerup on-demand anyway. You don't get to break it up for the same reason you don't get to use only a little bit of a berserk pack at a time, or why you can't turn off light-amp goggles when you want to save their batteries.

Well, there is the argument that in Doom you can run whenever you want, but in reality nobody ever walks in Doom. I think it's fine the way it is - additional tactical option, but not something too complicated, though it takes some time to get used to it and to use it efficently (and to use it at all, I might add).
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: [1]