Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scavenger Topic  (Read 5715 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Scavenger Topic
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:06 »

Anybody here ever had a succesful scavenger build?

I had a game where I was finding great exotics such as the laser rifle and managed to build a burst chain gun....

I died before I even got scavenger because my weapons werent doing enough damage.

Can we change it so that we only need 1 level of whizkid? not being able to get SOB early game really makes it harder for rapid fire builds(which scavenger build promotes through EEx2)

What do you guys think of this ability?   and please dont bring in the "Its great for AO100" because I believe all abilities should be useful in normal mode.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Scavenger Topic
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 13:36 »

Tried it once and wasn't really too displeased - although it didn't get me anywhere near a win. Don't see the problem with WK 2 - if you're getting mods, you're going to want to be using them to the full extent of their powers anyway - and it's not too hard to get since you don't need to build up Fin first. Add to that the fact that it requires Int (my current precious), it's not too bad a build. You lose DG and Ber, which is no big deal; TH would be nice but you have plenty of other options, not to mention that you can build stuff to compensate for your shortcomings al lot more easily.

I was indeed thinking of saving it for an A100 run, but I'm actually tempted to give it a try now...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 13:45 »

I want to be able to turn the chainsaw into a mod, but you get the ability so late in the game... and none of those abilities will help me kill armored enemies because of lack of firepower.

Shouldnt scavenger be a 2 level normal skill that allows you to fuse armors of the same kind to repair then 2nd level lets you get mods from exotics?

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 14:03 »

Won several Ao100 Scavendger runs.
Can't say they were really succesful.
One was won through nuclear plasma rifle B2T3, another one through P3B2 combat pistol.No N or O pack scavenged.
Never played it in normal game, with my luck it's useless.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 14:29 »

...but you get the ability so late in the game...

You do? I can't say for sure at which point in the game you'll reach level 6, depends on the difficulty of course, just make sure you kill as much as you can. And up until Hell, the shotgun - which requires no skills whatsoever to use effectively - gets most of the job done properly. Save up a couple of uniques for when you get there, and start stripping and rebuilding right away.

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 14:46 »

Using the shotgun with EEx2 is a bit useless :(

I guess the game will get better when they add that guaranteed plasma rifle special level.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 14:58 »

Yeah, sure it is, but if you have trouble getting to MSc due to the limited scope of traits, you can always fall back on the shotgun. Once you have MSc in, you can set a course for nearly any type of build due to the fact that none of the basic traits are prohibited, and you can build your gear either to compensate for what you lack, or to take your strong points to a higher plane.

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 22:57 »

well, since Scavenger allows Reloader, and you will likely reload a lot, why not taking Shottyman, and assemble an Elephant Gun/P as one hell of a mean shotgun, or a weaker supershotty with FDS/P. Elephant gun is one hell of a mean puppy even in hands of someone not tuned for its use.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:16 »

why is elephant gun so good? its reload speed doesnt impress and I always replace regular shotty for combat shotty.

Any reason to keep elephant over combat/tactical?

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24 »

why is elephant gun so good? its reload speed doesnt impress and I always replace regular shotty for combat shotty.

Any reason to keep elephant over combat/tactical?
Elephant gun has ridiculous knockback potential: 12d3 compared to combat's 7d3 or even standard's 8d3 is fantastic. Also, with Shottyman/enough points in Reloader the EG is great.
With a shellbox, you're only taking half a second to reload, which is pretty damn good.
Use power for power.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:46 »

Elephant Gun:
- good firepower & knockback;
- best damage to ammo ratio;
- wider spread than combat shotty;
- with 2 points in Reloader its reload speed is fine; you can even live with 1 point in Reloader, as my experience with AoCn shows;

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04 »

I've had quite a number of good Scavenger runs, but always on Ao100.

Also:

I guess the game will get better when they add that guaranteed plasma rifle special level.

*Cough* Spider's Lair *Cough*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:05 by 2DeviationsOut »

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 13:40 »

@2Dev:
Or any level with Former Commandos, which spawn pretty early afaik.

Lz_erk

• Private
  • AAAAAHHHHHH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 02:43 »

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with assemblies [see The Wall Strategy for my dumbery there -- I thought mods had to be installed in order, which made things like PPTA impossible; that's what I get for using spoilers].  Now I'm into mod packs.  So here's my first moderately successful Ao100 Scavenger run for your amusement.

This is something like my 15th attempted Scav Ao100 HMP run, the others died due to insufficient ammo and firepower.  This one was lucky enough to find an early Lava Armor and a Nuclear Plasma Rifle just after the Deimos levels, and that made the difference.

I've been cobbling together all the assemblies I could to produce the common mods I need [several Elephant and Gatling Guns].  I'm currently using Cerberus Phase Boots (A) [note that their +15% move speed does NOT carry over onto the assembly!], Cybernetic Armor (PN, hoping for an O+P just for fun) [Cybernetic Armor is the best thing a Technician could find, right?  Right...?].  Weapons are Burst Cannon Nuclear Plasma Rifle (no mod yet), Hyperblaster (F1), and a very very lucky find: Demolition Minigun (F1).

Belt-fed grenade launcher.  Yes.  With Eagle Eye (5) and Son of a Bitch (5), it will gib a Baron in one burst, and kill most anything that was next to him.  It's a real treat.

Apparently a Burst Nuclear Plasma Rifle (S1) on this trait build will also toast Barons and Viles at mid-range in one burst, but the damage varies wildly.  The satisfying overpowered feeling is somehow also gone, even though I'm often shooting through walls and killing things a screen's distance away.

Strolled across a lava river on level 85 with my new antigrav boots on and died.  It was only four spaces...  Kinda glad it's over anyway, the difficulty wasn't scaling up with my arsenal enough to hold my attention.  Final opinion: Scavenger is crazy hard to get rolling, but ridiculous if the RNG gives it a chance to start snowballing up.
If NetHack was difficult, what the hell is DoomRL?
Pages: [1]