Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Few ideas / minor changes  (Read 9975 times)

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Few ideas / minor changes
« on: April 10, 2012, 14:02 »

- Let DoomRL always remember the tile at which the last shot was aimed (now it remembers only if it was in LOS / FOV);
- Create a test screen (maybe a key) which would display all the objects from the game (moddable ones), so we can check if coloring is done right;
- Up resistances on Green and Blue armor to about 25-30%; Why? To make them more useful in a late game;
- Improve Nanofiber armor; it is hardly used now, and not worth creating, imo;
- Make non-napalm barrels appear more often in deep levels;
- Make acid appear more often (instead of lava) in deep levels;
- Make wait take the time accordingly to speed, not 1.0 sec always; I hate getting damage when running in place :] ; or maybe just the other key for those that play on N! and need 1.0 sec for their math;
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 14:06 by skarczew »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Few ideas / minor changes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 14:20 »

Except for the green/blue armor remark (reds and modded aplenty, as far as I know), it all sounds good to me. Especially the bit about the barrels, the lava tends to get a bit annoying. Though it is Hell, mind you.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 15:15 »

Up resistances on Green and Blue armor to about 25-30%; Why? To make them more useful in a late game
What use DOES green armor have late-game? Its redeeming quality is the resistance to bullet and shrapnel, which are used by the easiest enemies in the game. By the same measure, plasma damage never goes higher (for a given projectile) than 3d5 with the Mastermind, and ~30% of that damage would be absorbed by unmodded blue armor. The most damage-dealing enemies use fire damage, which is why red armor grants the most defense. Seems pretty appropriate to me right now.

Improve Nanofiber armor; it is hardly used now, and not worth creating, imo;
I already removed the movespeed penalty in the repo, so nanofiber armor will simply be an armor made indestructible at the cost of halving its defense. This seems like enough, but we'll have to wait on beta feedback.

Make non-napalm barrels appear more often in deep levels;
Make acid appear more often (instead of lava) in deep levels;
These two seem pretty fair to me, especially with items like acid-proof boots and the Acid Spitter. All that lava gets monotonous every a while...

Make wait take the time accordingly to speed, not 1.0 sec always; I hate getting damage when running in place :] ; or maybe just the other key for those that play on N! and need 1.0 sec for their math;
I should make sure that all the devs agree this is a good idea, but it should be real easy to implement and test out anyway.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 16:12 »

I second idea of game remembering the last tile, it would be a very good improvement. It's so annoying to spam arrows and die by accident or lose lots of time (and patience). It could be nice if game required you to aim again in case some monster appear in sight when you hold fire button, so you don't die like that.
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 16:18 »

The combined protection and resistance system makes things a bit weird.  Except for former sergeants and their shotguns, I think the extra protection point from blue armor is enough to replace the lack of bullet resistance because bullet sources are pretty low damage.  The same thing is also true for the jump from blue to red, with cacodemons and hell knights, at maximum damage rolls, only doing an extra 1 damage (or 2 if the resistance protection rounds up?) when you switch to red armor.  So going up to the next armor tier gives only marginally worse protection against the very damage type that the previous armor was specialized against, while being better against everything else and even specializing against a different type of damage.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it goes against intuition I think.

Seeing more acid and a bit less lava would be nice.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 16:23 »

What use DOES green armor have late-game? Its redeeming quality is the resistance to bullet and shrapnel, which are used by the easiest enemies in the game. By the same measure, plasma damage never goes higher (for a given projectile) than 3d5 with the Mastermind, and ~30% of that damage would be absorbed by unmodded blue armor. The most damage-dealing enemies use fire damage, which is why red armor grants the most defense. Seems pretty appropriate to me right now.
You KNOW IT. Spidey is supposed to have bullet-type damage :P . Check out Doom 2 booklet.

I already removed the movespeed penalty in the repo, so nanofiber armor will simply be an armor made indestructible at the cost of halving its defense. This seems like enough, but we'll have to wait on beta feedback.
It is not the speed alone. Resistances are also nerfed. Why should I create an average Red armor [2] , when I could have two armors: Red [6] and Red [4] with doubled durability?
On lower difficulties you do not care about getting hit, since mods, armors, means of repair are very common.
On higher difficulties getting hit means that you are doing something VERY wrong. Typical armor set that you create using those two mods will last for few levels at least (usually lasts half game for me) and give far better protection.

These two seem pretty fair to me, especially with items like acid-proof boots and the Acid Spitter. All that lava gets monotonous every a while...
Yep, I was thinking about that. Acid Spitter in the current form is rarely used before Cybie - and not used almost at all after him.
And I really would like to have fun blowing fuel barrels on those deep messy levels.

And please don't forget about aiming (first) idea - it would really help for radar shotting (especially when using non-shotguns).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 16:29 by skarczew »

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 16:26 »

It could be nice if game required you to aim again in case some monster appear in sight when you hold fire button, so you don't die like that.
Well, to increase visibility try remapping colors. Also, I sometimes use blind mode keys ('x', 'X' I think), which tell me whether there is something in LOS / FOV that I cannot notice (happens really often on messy Hell maps).

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 16:42 »

Spidey having a bullet-type super-chaingun would be more accurate, but it would also make it easy to armor up enough to laugh at it.

That might actually be kinda funny. The Big Cow is a sucker for active defense Dodgemasters, so having the Spidermind cry when some passive defense Powermod Ballistic Red Armor + TaN3 tank rolls up on him would give me a gigglefit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 16:43 by Creepy »
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 18:12 »

Spidey having a bullet-type super-chaingun would be more accurate, but it would also make it easy to armor up enough to laugh at it.

That might actually be kinda funny. The Big Cow is a sucker for active defense Dodgemasters, so having the Spidermind cry when some passive defense Powermod Ballistic Red Armor + TaN3 tank rolls up on him would give me a gigglefit.
I would really like to have Spidey modeled after real one.

Doom Spidey had a Super Chaingun which (I clearly remember that) was able to knock back merely by its power - coming into close range was really hard. The closer, the harder the pushback was.
Similarly, Doomguy is doing it now with non-boss monsters after investing few points into SoG / SoB.

That actually could give a good use for knockback reduction equipment =) .

And instead of Red Armor it could be the Green one, with its features adjusted accordingly.
Comes to think about it, it could be Green armor that player would make Ballistic / Bullet-proof things from.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 05:59 »

One more idea:
 - Remove the necessity to confirm the Nightmare! difficulty; it may be funny at first, but no longer later;

Zecks

• Speedrunner
  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 06:13 »

One more idea:
 - Remove the necessity to confirm the Nightmare! difficulty; it may be funny at first, but no longer later;

thisssssssssss

any plans on implementing a repeat last game option? trying to get a decent entrance/an agility mod in AoMr has really been getting on my nerves
(0.9.9.6) Arch-Vile General
[23/21/16/13/5]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 06:45 »

any plans on implementing a repeat last game option? trying to get a decent entrance/an agility mod in AoMr has really been getting on my nerves

Since startscumming for mods is tacitly allowed, we may as well just adopt a "select your starting mod" method.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 14:35 »

Fix few bugged / not working configuration settings:
- StartDifficulty
- StartTrait

...or this one could actually be changed into:

- StartTraitMarine
- StartTraitScout
- StartTraitTechnician

Add few new ones:
- StartChallenge (applicable when user would choose Challenge game)
- StartClass

- IgnoreNightmareConfirmation (see my previous post)

Additionally, could it be possible to use string based instead of number based values? Selecting difficulty via values is fine, but choosing traits / challenges can be tricky ;|

The constants could be like:
- "AoB", "AoMr", "AoCn", AoMC" ...
- "TaN", "Int", "Bru", "SoB" ...

And one more thing:
- Make ESC go back into previous menu (e.g. from trait selection to class selection), not to the main menu;

Zecks

• Speedrunner
  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 14:47 »

Since startscumming for mods is tacitly allowed, we may as well just adopt a "select your starting mod" method.

or how about a special mod pack that lets you choose between bulk, tech and agility mod :o

it could even be a thingy elsewhere!
(0.9.9.6) Arch-Vile General
[23/21/16/13/5]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:40 »

One more idea:

Add "Deaf Mode". If there are blind people playing DoomRL (or not blind - but using it anyway), there may be deaf people as well.
It may also help in situations when there are no technical possibilities to play sound effects (no speakers, no headphones, no audio card, noisy neighbors, mom boiling daemons alive for a lunch in the kitchen, etc).

How it would look like: instead of sound effects (or together with them), a text message would appear - with an information about direction:

• You hear a sound of barrel explosion coming from the far right;
  • You hear a pained grunt of a former human coming from the far right;
  • You hear a death cry of an arch ville coming from the left;
  • You hear a mechanical footstep coming from the left;
  • You hear a sound of an idle imp coming from the left;
  • etc;

As far as I noticed, the monster sounds have at least two versions: "near" and "far", and this should be reflected in the messages.
Pages: [1] 2  All