Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Few ideas / minor changes  (Read 9977 times)

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: Few ideas / minor changes
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36 »

One more idea:

Add "Deaf Mode". If there are blind people playing DoomRL (or not blind - but using it anyway), there may be deaf people as well.
It may also help in situations when there are no technical possibilities to play sound effects (no speakers, no headphones, no audio card, noisy neighbors, mom boiling daemons alive for a lunch in the kitchen, etc).

How it would look like: instead of sound effects (or together with them), a text message would appear - with an information about direction:

• You hear a sound of barrel explosion coming from the far right;
  • You hear a pained grunt of a former human coming from the far right;
  • You hear a death cry of an arch ville coming from the left;
  • You hear a mechanical footstep coming from the left;
  • You hear a sound of an idle imp coming from the left;
  • etc;

As far as I noticed, the monster sounds have at least two versions: "near" and "far", and this should be reflected in the messages.
+1 for this idea.
Just one note - some of the monsters share their soumds (pain sound of demons/lost souls/knights/barons for one example, and sounds of all formers for another one). Deaf mode not reflecting this fact could pose an unfair advantage.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 10:12 »

Replace it with generalised sound names e.g. "You hear a demonic death cry" for demons/lost souls/barons etc.
I computed, therefore I was.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 03:40 »

Just one note - some of the monsters share their soumds (pain sound of demons/lost souls/knights/barons for one example, and sounds of all formers for another one). Deaf mode not reflecting this fact could pose an unfair advantage.
Then the text would be shared as well, in a way thelaptop proposed.

eharper256

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 16:44 »

Here's some of my thoughts from my play so far. Maybe I'm blaspheming by suggesting things like this; apologies if so, but figured I say them anyway.

A. I think I'd like to see DoomRL have much bigger levels. They really do feel too short to me at the moment.

B. Also, a chunk of the generated maps don't really ~feel~ like levels from Doom? I almost feel they need more empty space, and perhaps a few setpieces (i.e. having more vaults created by people inserted into levels) as well as the secret levels that are already there. Even if this is as an Angel challenge (Angel of Real Estate?). :D

C. More than one active character. I typically have like 8 characters on the go at once in Crawl, for example. Because I'm nuts. Of course, this would ideally have to go hand in hand with save and exit anywhere, rather than just the stairs.

D. Some n00b medals. Iron Medals, or something. Most of the Bronze ones seem too intimidating to me, never mind the higher up ranks.

Basically, its great at the moment, I just feel its scope could be more epic.
Cacodemon Sergeant [11/2/0/0/0]
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <-- My Games, Anime & Random Blog

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 17:30 »

A. As far as I know, this is Something For DoomRL2. DoomRL's 'thing' is that its levels are one screen big.

B. More empty space would be a step backwards for enabling melee builds and reduce the cover available to everyone else.
Being an interesting, well-balanced change or addition tends to take precedent over being Doom-ish.

C. Crawl also takes longer than DoomRL. Unless you're running Ao100, DoomRL games aren't really meant to take days to finish.

D. Bronze Medals are the noob medals. Practice makes perfect, or at least adequate.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 01:23 »

A. As far as I know, this is Something For DoomRL2. DoomRL's 'thing' is that its levels are one screen big

That would go for the console version only I guess. Or I'm just using a heavily outdated monitor....

Most of the Bronze ones seem too intimidating to me, never mind the higher up ranks.

Don't sweat it; I started playing a month and a half ago and thought I'd never make sergeant rank. Yesterday I completed a game which accidentally earned me a gold badge (on a Gatekeeper Gold on a Gun Kata build as a matter of fact).
I felt the same way when I started: intimidatingly difficult game, slaughtering me before I could get anywhere. The advice I can offer you:
1) Take the time to think of your next move if you find yourself in a tight spot - there's no rush.
2) Check out the discussions on this forum and ask whatever you want/need (which is going fine as far as I can see).
3) Start playing at ITYTD. You can score a lot of Bronze on this difficulty, and with the pressure being lower, you can focus more easily on the mechanics of the game and behavior of your enemies. I have yet to play my first HMP game, and I've  already collected enough badges to rise 4 or 5 ranks.
4) And on that note: remember that the ranks don't do anything for you in themselves; it's the experience you get from obtaining the badges that you'll benefit from. But of course you should also be learning the ropes without having any immediate badges to show for it.

Before long you'll be raking in more achievements than you would have counted on.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46 »

B. Also, a chunk of the generated maps don't really ~feel~ like levels from Doom? I almost feel they need more empty space, and perhaps a few setpieces (i.e. having more vaults created by people inserted into levels) as well as the secret levels that are already there. Even if this is as an Angel challenge (Angel of Real Estate?). :D

There was a thread where someone showed some new room designs. I especially liked the rooms with a small pool of acid/lava with an item in the middle (the item would have a greater chance to be something nice).

Wasn't there even an idea of a contest in making new room generation tossed around somewhere? I hope it happens.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: 1 [2]  All