Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 03:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More description for the carnage  (Read 3608 times)

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
More description for the carnage
« on: April 11, 2012, 19:00 »

The description of the combat is very bland, when you think about it.

"You are hit! You die..."
"The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind dies."
"You hit the former sergeant. The former sergeant dies."

Why not have a few more messages than "X dies" or "X is hit". Describe what's being done to them, and what the actual projectile is instead of just generic "hit" and "missile". Have a giant pile of lines for each various attack to spit out on demand, picked at random as appropriate. Different lines for shots that just damage versus shots that kill might be worth looking at too.

"The rocket hits the Imp. The Imp is blasted to chunks!"
"The bullet crowns the former sergeant. The former sergeant's head caves in."
"The bullet hits the demon in the eye. It looks very angry."
"The buckshot slams the former sergeant's torso. The former sergeant dies gurgling."
"The plasma burns the former human. The former human dies screaming."
"The chainsaw hits the demon. Gore covers you! The demon is torn in half."
"The Archvile is hit by the BFG. The Archvile is torn into vapor."
"Your knife wrenches through Mancubus' stomach. It doesn't seem to notice."
"Your knife tears through the imp's arm. The imp whimpers!"
"The rocket blasts the Arachnotron. It roars in pain."
"You punch the Cyberdemon in the torso. It regards you with contempt."
"You need to taste blood! Your fist slams the Cyberdemon's jaw, snapping it's head back. The Cyberdemon screams in surprise!"
"You need to taste blood! You tackle the cacodemon. You tear the Cacodemon in half with your bare hands!
"The former captain's fire misses! The former captain shoots you in the stomach! The former captain blasts you in the stomach! You are torn in half by the bullets..."
"The imp's fireball hits you in the face! You die screaming..."

It's entirely cosmetic, but would make it a bit more fun to read combat reports.

Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
Re: More description for the carnage
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 19:25 »

I'd lean towards agreeing, but I also lean towards combat already being unwieldy enough, and we don't need to make it easier to hit a (more) prompt... there are ways to lower the incidence of it, like condensing shotgunning a group or chainfiring a bunch of things, but it would take a lot of effort.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 19:47 »

Yeah, condensing the multi-shot bursts into one line would be good. Instead of like 4 iterations of "The missile hits the former commando" in a row, it could be worked down to "The burst hits" or "Most of the burst hits" or "The entire burst goes wild" or something. That way people firing a billion shots aren't so worried about it; do you really need to know EXACTLY how many bullets hit, or just that some of it hit and the monster is/isn't dead yet? And condensing lines for shotguns and rockets into things like "The former human, former human, and former sergeant are hit" would knock that down a little bit.

It would all take a bit more effort juggling and tracking what's going on during the player's attacks to deliver most of it in a sentence instead of individual lines, but it would cut down on multiline issues for people that are bothered by the (more) prompt.

Also, it would provide room for more descriptions, which I really want. =B

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 20:13 »

Fallout style descriptions?

"You hit Archvile in the eye for 36 damage! Archvile wishes he had never been born."

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 20:24 »

Absolutely. One of Fallout's inherited traits from Wasteland was it's delightful descriptions of the terrible things you were doing to the enemy.

It'd be cool if random anatomy damage actually effected how the enemy fought (Randomly shot in the eye = less accuracy, too much damage and they try to retreat, etc), but that probably is way too much work to do on DoomRL (Maybe for Doom2RL?). But at least we can have descriptions of how badly the demons are being torn apart by Doomguy's badassitude!

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:21 »

"The arch-vile raises his arms! Why are you even running? You're gonna get hit anyway!"
"You are engulfed in flames! I told you so!"
Use power for power.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:49 »

It'd be cool if random anatomy damage actually effected how the enemy fought (Randomly shot in the eye = less accuracy, too much damage and they try to retreat, etc), but that probably is way too much work to do on DoomRL (Maybe for Doom2RL?). But at least we can have descriptions of how badly the demons are being torn apart by Doomguy's badassitude!

I won't settle for anything less than the Dwarf Fortress damage system! (BTW, I couldn't decide whether to post this here or to the Horrible Ideas Thread.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:18 »

Uranium, that was the case in Doom, but even there one could hide behind a pillar/corner to make the archvile fail. Here you can outrun AV's blast, you need to move outside the radius of 2 from your current position (move two times in the same diagonal direction and hope your speed is enough, or just get 0.5 movement and do it every single time).
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18 »

Uranium, that was the case in Doom, but even there one could hide behind a pillar/corner to make the archvile fail. Here you can outrun AV's blast, you need to move outside the radius of 2 from your current position (move two times in the same diagonal direction and hope your speed is enough, or just get 0.5 movement and do it every single time).
In all honesty, I find original Doom AV's easier to dodge than here. I've been playing AoOC lately and even when the AV raises its arms, I knock it a good three squares out of vision range with quick-fire assault shotgun blasts and I still get hit.
Use power for power.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:59 »

I'm pretty sure you have to dodge, too, or else it keeps targetting you instead of the square from which the blast you'd be outrunning originates.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01 »

As far as I remember it was always hitting the player, unless you hide behind some non-transparent obstacle, wall, etc.

So it is different than it was in Doom, but still better than few versions ago (up to 2 unavoidable hits per round).
Pages: [1]