Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 21:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Usability/consistency improvements  (Read 7970 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Usability/consistency improvements
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 13:47 »

I think I just saw this in action (monster dodge):

I entered Phobos level 3 and there was a group of formers nearby. I began shooting them with my pistol (AoMr) and one of the bullets hit a different former than the others. It happened before the formers could even move, so it definitely wasn't dodging.

It was in graphic version. If I didn't read this thread, I'd think that I just imagined it, but I'm pretty sure it happened.

BTW, I'm playing keyboard only. I just realized that it could be explained by me bumping into mouse, thus changing the aim, but the next bullet went back where I was originally aiming,so that sounds unlikely.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

eharper256

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 16:54 »

I think I've also seen an instance or two of this. I've manual aimed and hit somewhere else a few times. Never seems to happen if you're just firing normally with just slamming f,f.

Perhaps it might be not so much the monsters are dodging, but rather your aiming location is being misreported?

This is of course on Tiles, not played Console.
Cacodemon Sergeant [11/2/0/0/0]
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <-- My Games, Anime & Random Blog

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 17:33 »

I get the feeling the following happens if you shoot at a monster that happens to move:

a.) You wind up hitting, and since everything updates simultaneously, the bullet flies towards where the monster is now.
b.) You missed, so it follows the initial path.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 02:25 »

Playing the graphics version, this occurs when you're firing a long path at an enemy that's fairly close.  Ander Hammer's fairly close, but here's what's really going on:

The destination of the bullet is determined once the gun is fired.  When the game figures out what the bullet will hit, it then draws the path of the bullet to the space that it hit.  In graphics mode, it this ends up being a straight line to the destination space.  Observe what that means for a close up enemy when you're cornershooting (where it's most noticeable).  Image is attached.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 03:50 »

I've noticed this behaviour, but it's something else than what I reported a few posts back: the bullet missed the former I was aiming at but hit the one standing next to him. If I missed, it would have hit the one standing behind him (and there was plenty of those).

Also, this happened right at the beginning of the level and the formers didn't have any chance to move.

My guess is that it was caused by unintentional mouse input - either I bumped into it, or maybe there is something with the code, though this doesn't explain why my next shot aimed back at the former I originally wanted to shoot.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 02:55 »

Sometimes you miss them so much that the bullet goes the other way, maybe thats the case? :P
Pages: 1 [2]  All